What's new

Kava Weights

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi Kava lovers. I'm going to start cataloging the weights of the kavas I receive and begin posting them here in the format below. I think it's important for us to have a collective understanding of how much kavas weigh visually. Everyone using a gram scale would be the most ideal situation, but having this understanding would be a close second.

229954972_10224067961078836_7694444351464016151_n.jpg

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Fijian kava weighs more by volume than most other kavas and Vanuatus weigh less. When I weigh up 500g of Vanuatu kava it feels like there's more there and I have to be careful closing the seal. With 500g of Fijian there's more room at the top of the bag.

Mixnpickngrinnin

Kava Curious
I find a huge variety based on the exact type of kava, so much so that I want to go back to a few I had tried and was underwhelmed with before purchasing a scale. I am a 40-50 g kinda guy and for some kavas thats barely 1/3 cup, others its almost 1/2 cup

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I find a huge variety based on the exact type of kava, so much so that I want to go back to a few I had tried and was underwhelmed with before purchasing a scale. I am a 40-50 g kinda guy and for some kavas thats barely 1/3 cup, others its almost 1/2 cup
I've highly considered going on alibaba, ordering a thousand scales and just giving them away. It's so easy to use a kitchen scale. That, and it also gives you quartz diamond precision when reviewing a kava because you know you're starting with the same amount of raw material.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Fijian kava weighs more by volume than most other kavas and Vanuatus weigh less. When I weigh up 500g of Vanuatu kava it feels like there's more there and I have to be careful closing the seal. With 500g of Fijian there's more room at the top of the bag.
Yes I said exactly to you Edward how with Aluballs, 15 grams KSNZ Kavas is more than a squeeze in terms of limit, while a lesser volume is seen with 25 grams Fijian Kadavu from AOK.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
I've highly considered going on alibaba, ordering a thousand scales and just giving them away. It's so easy to use a kitchen scale. That, and it also gives you diamond precision when reviewing a kava because you know you're starting with the same amount of raw material.
Weight is a more accurate way to measure dose than by volume, no doubt. Although we need to remember that we are weighing the amount of kava root, and kava root is a natural product that contains varying amounts of the psychoactives, so 50 grams is always 50 grams; however, the KLs in each 50 gram dose is still going to vary from bag to bag and even shell to shell.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Weight is a more accurate way to measure dose than by volume, no doubt. Although we need to remember that we are weighing the amount of kava root, and kava root is a natural product that contains varying amounts of the psychoactives, so 50 grams is always 50 grams; however, the KLs in each 50 gram dose is still going to vary from bag to bag and even shell to shell.
I also ponder too that with the much higher volume per weight Kavas, with surely a much greater surface area, maybe less is equal in a way.

I always work in weight, I’m quite OCD like that.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I take back "diamond" and replace it with "quartz" ;)

kw2292

Kava Curious
Always been a weigh it out guy. My scale sits on the counter and I have a little bowl that I scoop what I decide I’ll have for the day. Helps keep me honest mostly from a budgetary angle.

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
I guess depending on the ground size of the root, you will have more or less plant volume per some mass/weight of kava. E.g. 70 grams of larger ground kava will occupy more space than more finely ground kava. Then there is also the water/kavalactone content to fiber ratio...lots of variables!! :)