What's new

Kava with Bacopa monnieri?

Kylie

Hi! I'm new to this form and the Kava world in general. I'm excited to start my kava journey and have read a lot of encouraging stories on this forum.

Long story short, I had pretty bad anxiety as a child that followed me into college. For the past 8 years or so, my anxiety has been manageable, then some big life changes happened, and I can feel it starting to get out of control again. I'm really trying to stay away from anti-depressants/anxiety medication, which led me to Kava.

I made an appointment with a naturopath, but the appointment isn't until next month, and I needed some anxiety relief asap. Last week I ordered the Gai Kava Kava Root liquid capsules, as well as some Bacopa Monnieri.

I tried my first Kava pill today, and I am amazed. I'm really sensitive to herbs/medications, so just one pill was enough for me to feel the effects, and honestly, my mind hasn't felt that calm in years. I'm a little worried about some of the side effects I read about online (liver problems, skin issues, etc.), but reading some of the posts on this forum has made me feel better!

The one question I haven't found an answer to yet is - Has anyone tried Kava and Bacopa at the same time? Are there any health risks with taking them both?

For now, I'm going to try and take the Kava a few times a week. The bottle I bought says 1 pill, 3 times a day for no longer than a month - but I feel like that's an FDA thing. I'd like to take the Bacopa every day, but I'm not sure how they interact with each other.

Thanks in advance for your help. Just reading this forum has helped calm a lot of my worries already :)

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hi! I'm new to this form and the Kava world in general. I'm excited to start my kava journey and have read a lot of encouraging stories on this forum.

Long story short, I had pretty bad anxiety as a child that followed me into college. For the past 8 years or so, my anxiety has been manageable, then some big life changes happened, and I can feel it starting to get out of control again. I'm really trying to stay away from anti-depressants/anxiety medication, which led me to Kava.

I made an appointment with a naturopath, but the appointment isn't until next month, and I needed some anxiety relief asap. Last week I ordered the Gai Kava Kava Root liquid capsules, as well as some Bacopa Monnieri.

I tried my first Kava pill today, and I am amazed. I'm really sensitive to herbs/medications, so just one pill was enough for me to feel the effects, and honestly, my mind hasn't felt that calm in years. I'm a little worried about some of the side effects I read about online (liver problems, skin issues, etc.), but reading some of the posts on this forum has made me feel better!

The one question I haven't found an answer to yet is - Has anyone tried Kava and Bacopa at the same time? Are there any health risks with taking them both?

For now, I'm going to try and take the Kava a few times a week. The bottle I bought says 1 pill, 3 times a day for no longer than a month - but I feel like that's an FDA thing. I'd like to take the Bacopa every day, but I'm not sure how they interact with each other.

Thanks in advance for your help. Just reading this forum has helped calm a lot of my worries already :)
Nice that you are having good results with Kava Extract- Gaia? Important to note that this is not traditional kava beverage which is the root and stump, below ground portion cleaned and dried or fresh, mixed and strained in water. The often quoted JAMA 2010 Editorial regarding Kava and the liver-
"the traditional kava beverage is prepared
by cold water extraction of its roots. Historic use shows
that kava is safe under the strict control of the rituals of Pacific
cultures. The traditional beverage is consumed on a daily
basis without apparent adverse effects, and kava cultivars
considered as noble ones have a long tradition of safe use".

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
If you take too much bacopa... which is like a teaspoon or two of the plant matter... it can be extremely dopaminergic and that can convert to adrenaline which then is not processed properly and kind of builds up in your system if you have to much kava in your system.... the same is true for coffee though.