What's new

Kava with J-Pouch?

Chakram

Kava Curious
Hello! I understand Kava can cause digestive issues with some people. Does anyone else here have a J-pouch? It is a surgery for Ulcerative Colitis - essentially having no large intestine, but instead a small intestine that compensates for both. Managing bowel issues is already a part of daily life with a J-pouch, so I’m wondering if anyone here can share their experience before I try it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I read about this procedure for about 3 hours this morning trying to get you a good answer, and I truthfully don't think we're qualified to give you one. Kava is absorbed in the small intestine, so you don't necessarily have any issues there. Kava can, however, increase gut transit motility. There are those that find kava is hard on the stomach, no matter what they do, and others that never even see the first sign of stomach discomfort with kava consumption.

I sincerely think you should ask your doctor if consuming fine particulate material would aggravate anything to do with your j-pouch.

Chakram

Kava Curious
It was very kind of you to read up on it for me! In the end I did experience some discomfort but no worse than when I eat any other kind of roughage.