What's new

Kava's first appearance in the west

Gabriel Belmont

Kava Curious
When did Kava first start appearing in places like the UK and Europe? I've seen that in the US it made an appearance in the sears catalouge around 100 years ago, so I'm curious to see when Kava came into UK and Europe prior to the 1990s boom. Anyone know?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
When did Kava first start appearing in places like the UK and Europe? I've seen that in the US it made an appearance in the sears catalouge around 100 years ago, so I'm curious to see when Kava came into UK and Europe prior to the 1990s boom. Anyone know?
europe.jpg

Kuchta, K., de Nicola, P., & Schmidt, M. (2018). Randomized, dose-controlled double-blind trial: Efficacy of an ethanolic kava (piper methysticum rhizome) extract for the treatment of anxiety in elderly patients: Kava extract for anxiety. Traditional & Kampo Medicine, 5(1), 3–10. https://doi.org/10.1002/tkm2.1079

The #4 Reference is to the following article, however it is in German:

Lewin L. About Piper methysticum (Kava-Kava). Berl. Klin.
Wochenschr. 1886; 1:7–10 (in German).

AZcat

Kava Drinker
I tried Kava in around `1973 when I was living in London. I bought some Kava at Baldwins herbalists on Walworth Rd, after reading about it in "Herbal Highs" I didnt know what you were supposed to do with it so I boiled it in some water and drunk it after I had cooled and strained it. I didn't feel much of anything so didn't try it again until relatively recently.