What's new

KBR Frozen Kava?

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
Ive asked Rex about this a while ago, all he has is frozen hawaiian root. I think he said it was the same price as dry, plus shipping ofcourse. Maybe its worth looking into?

In other words...someone try it and let us know how it is! haha.

kavalover

Outsider
I wouldn't grind it, maybe let it thaw out in warm water and then smash it in a pestle and mortar? That seems like it would to the trick. it just depends though, if this is kava root straight out of the ground, still with all of its juices and enzymes in tact, just frozen, them I'm all in. But if it's just dried roots that are frozen and shipped, I'll pass. I'll try and contact rex with detailed questions tomorrow or so. If he is still selling it, I'll definitely be the guinea pig lol

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
Well with paradise kavas fresh root I just thawed it and it became a very soft sweet root, which then I prepared like normal kava, but taking more of my time on. Im sure its the same thing.

kavalover

Outsider
Well if it's the frozen root from paradise kava then yes, because (and I was surprised to see this) that stuff was just a wet root pulp that was easy to squeeze and strain just like powdered root.

But if it's just whole roots, like the stuff I recently bought from kona kava farm where it's just the kava root itself, no previous pounding or anything like that, just dried roots in a bag, then you'll need to either grind them in a powerful coffee grinder, or (my personal favorite) chew them up into a pulp and then strain the pulp. You could also cut the roots up into inch sized pieces and soak them for a few hours, and then pound the hell out of them with a pestle and mortar. Which you'd then strain normally.

kl.KarmaG

Kava Enthusiast
Hey all, first time poster, but have been into kava since 09. Just wondering if anyone has gotten around to trying the fresh frozen root from Rex yet. I'm so tempted to try but the sensible part of me says not to spend $100+ on something unless someone else has tried it and can vouch. Anyone try yet?

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
When I actually do mix up fresh kava, I like to have virgins chew it.  If I'm going traditional, I'm going all the way.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
I just sent Rex an email about his fresh frozen kava and asked how much it is. If it is as cheap as the dried root he sells then I will definitely be buying some in the nearish future! And then I will write up a nice little review for you guys :)

kl.el187joker

Kava Enthusiast
What the hell has nobody tried this stuff? or has nobody just taken the time to write a reiveiw. come on i need to hear it from someone who has tried this is it worth it?

odys1i

Kava Enthusiast
Women who still have teeth (smiley: laugh)

on another topic I just wrote Rex thanking him for the stupendous Waka & vanuatu3 & asking if this frozen 'Awa rumor is true. I will report back...

kl.c double

Kava Curious
from Rex's FAQ:

Q: I heard from a friend that you have fresh, green, frozen kava root. How do I order some?

A: Yes we do! It is pure, fresh, pulverised Hawaiian kava root frozen into one pound bricks, not an extract and not

dried root. Very tasty, it's the freshest form of kava root you can get outside of Hawaii or a kava producing nation!

This specialty product can only be shipped to the continental United States and is not available for order through the

Kava by Rex website. If you are interested, send us an e-mail and we can fill you in on more particulars.

kl.el187joker

Kava Enthusiast
So I just recieved a reply from Rex. The fresh frozen is $18 a pound with 5 lb minimum and required fed ex special shipping $76( for me in ohio). They have spotted hiwa (depending on what's harvested at any given time.) so 5 lbs shipped for me would be $166

kl.c double

Kava Curious
Why can't they just use a USPS flat rate box? if i were to pay that much for shipping i'd order way more than 5 lbs

I guess it has to be shipped frozen and kept frozen...

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
That's not a bad price overall if it's good stuff. I'm certainly curious, but there is no way my wife will let me put 5+ lbs of kava in the freezer.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
I wonder how much the water weight adds vs powdered. 5 pounds frozen will be significantly less kava than 5 pounds of powder I reckon.