What's new

Kneading kava in hot water (near boiling)

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
It's noon and got my work done for the day so I'm just chilling. Time to whip up some Borogu!

I tried something different today. Normally, I'm an Aluball guy, but I go through kava too quick to be doing that. So I decided to go ahead and see if I could make a strong batch by traditionally kneading. In the past I've had very mixed experiences with it, but I did something different today. I put 6 heaping tablespoons of KWK Borogu (my personal favorite) in my muslin bag, placed the bag in the bowl, and then poured the near boiling water from the teapot and let it sit for 5 minutes. I put some ice cubes in the water to cool it down so I would not burn my hands and then I then kneaded and squeezed for a total of 8 minutes. I added some ice, and filled the cup up with my grog and chugged it down. Thirty minutes later I'm dang near krunk. Holy crap! Hot water makes a difference! It normally takes takes 3 rounds of two aluballs to get where I'm at right now, and that's if it affects me on a good day. Aluball is great on the go but it does not make a strong as grog as the traditionally kneading with hot water. All those months I've been wasting kavalactones lol.

Just a shout out to KWK for the awesome strain of Borogu. I do not know the secret behind this stuff but this particular strain does not give me dermo, and freakishly tastes good to me. I've tried some other brands and have not been so lucky with the dermo.

Marty-G

Kava Curious
I use hot water instead of boiling & mix my brew in a blender for about 5 minutes before filtering.

I mix about 2.5 to 3 tablespoons of powder to 2 cups of water & yes it gets me pretty damn "krunk"

Oddly enough, before I would only mix 1 cup of water for every 2.5 to 3 tablespoons of powder & the effects weren't as profound.

I think it's key to note that sometimes it takes more water to get a better mix & potency

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Your hands can comfortably squeeze kava in water 130 to 140*F depending on your tolerance, you could gain an extra layer of protection with gloves or use the potato masher too. Nothing wrong with ice, I do recommend pouring a cup of boiling water on the empty strainer beforehand to sterilize it.