What's new

Kava Science Lauric Acid. A possible cure for dermopathy?!

Slakemoth

Hey there I I've been using Kava for about 1 year and a half. I use 'toss and wash' to prep. I get no GI issues or nausea.

Anyway the only problem is that I acquired dermopathy pretty rapidly. I think I was about 2 months in when I started to develop bad dermo.

I did back off a bit, but I did some digging on here and heard recommendations for coconut oil.

I was intrigued as to why this would help at all. Was it the fats? Or some specific constituent?

Long story short I realized the most unique fat in coconut oil is lauric acid. Most other saturated fats are palmitic or myristic, but coconut is unique in that it has a large amount of this lauric acid which is a medium chain fatty acid.

Well I did some experimentation and am surprised to say by taking monolaurin capsules I completely removed my dermo.

I do plan on better documenting this, perhaps adding a before and after. I apologize I don't have one already. But it is a little difficult to force yourself to have dermopathy again :LOL:. I will try to go a bitter heavier on the Kava in the following months, because I take it raw it wouldn't be long for me to get pretty severe dermopathy again.

Hopefully atleast for the time being this can assist others, who might have weened of Kava due to bad dermo or been reticient to take it. If it works consistently that is.

Last edited:

Slakemoth

I've been doing some more digging into what could be the probable affect here, most of these research papers go over my head; but hopefully they can shed some light on this:

Firstly lauric acid is clearly a unique fatty acid:

Lauric acid, as a component of triglycerides, comprises about half of the fatty-acid content in coconut milk, coconut oil, laurel oil, and palm kernel oil (not to be confused with palm oil),[10][11] Otherwise, it is relatively uncommon. It is also found in human breast milk (6.2% of total fat), cow's milk (2.9%), and goat's milk (3.1%)
Doing some further reading I found this on Kava Dermopathy:

The pathogenesis of Kava dermopathy may be associated with a functional defect in one or more cytochrome P450 enzymes implicated in epidermal integrity,
It does talk about lamellar ichythosis which is a genetic disease that bears great resemblance to the acquired dermopathy caused by kava consumption.

When reading about epidermal integrity, I came across papers talking about epidermal lipid composition and it's importance for host defense in preventing various skin diseases:

Specifically they talk about another skin disease called atopic dermatitis, and how it relates to low ceramide levels on the stratum corneum:

While there is no clear cause of atopic dermititis, interestingly there seems to be an abundance of a specific bacteria 'staphlycoccus aureus' that is implicated in the pathogenesis of the disease:

Here they treat atopic dermititis by reintroducing those ceramides to the skin surface topically:

Interestingly this article establishes that treatment with oral konjac ceramide was far more efficacious than topically administering ceramides which they suggest had "transient" effects.

This article talks quite extensively about the lipid composition on the stratum corneum; moreover, it mentions how the skin is coated with sebaceous liquids (sebum), and that
. Also, several of the fatty acids that are released from sebaceous triglycerides are potent, though somewhat selective, antimicrobials.
. Further suggesting
Lauric acid (C12:0) has long been recognized as one of the most potent antimicrobials out of a range of fatty acids or fatty acid derivatives [6]. It is a minor, often overlooked, but potentially biologically significant component of sebum.
Also that
]. Lauric acid was effective against the Gram-positive coryneform bacteria (Corynebacterium bovis, Corynebacterium striatum, Corynebacterium jeikeium), while sapienic acid was ineffective.
stratum corneum integrity, dry surface, low pH, antimicrobial peptides and products of endogenous nonpathogenic bacteria all contribute to the inhospitable environment for microbial growth presented by the skin surface, it is currently understood that certain lipids may be major contributors to this
I wonder if something is going on here with some form of bacterial growth on the surface of the skin, similar to atopic dermatitis, that lauric acid is particular good at thwarting, it may be that Kava disrupts the lipid composition of the stratum corneum as epidermal integrity is implicated and makes it therefore more hospitable for certain bacteria to flourish that causes dermopathy. Given this suggests lauric acid as being one of the the most potent antimicrobials present in sebum.

I could just being going all over the place, and shooting in the dark. After all this is still early days.

I'm cautiously optimistic though because I can see that taking monolaurin is preventing my dermopathy and I drink it raw like everyday. Sometimes up to about 1-2Tbsp on the rare occasion I'm quite unwell, and no dermopathy so far for about 2 months!

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
1675366996891.png

I've gone down this road several times. Look deeply into cytochrome CYP4F22. There likely ARE cholesterol effects in regards to keratinization, and epidermal integrity, as well as sebaceous output, however CYP4F22 may be more of a culprit than we give it credit for. In the following study these results were listed but never addressed. There is some obvious CYP4A activity going on, we just don't know exactly what.

Mathews, James M., Amy S. Etheridge, and Sherry R. Black. 2002. “Inhibition of Human Cytochrome P450 Activities by Kava Extract and Kavalactones.” Drug Metabolism and Disposition: The Biological Fate of Chemicals 30 (11): 1153–57. https://doi.org/10.1124/dmd.30.11.1153.

Slakemoth

Interesting. Regardless it seems like lauric acid or coconut oil do something. Just need to better confirm this.