What's new

Lipid extraction to make Kavabutter or Kava infused coconut oil

MikeB

I like Mo'i
I want to do some experiments with lipid extraction techniques to make a kava oil or a kavabutter.

This wouldn't be for making grog, but for trying more interesting culinary approaches with kava.

Cannabis enthusiasts mastered this long ago:

- Cannabutter: http://www.thecannabist.co/2013/12/27/kitchenweed/1244/

- Cannabis infused coconut oil: http://www.medicaljane.com/2014/05/06/cannabis-kitchen-coo-coo-for-coconut-oil/

You'll note the above even contains a link to a "Magical Butter" brand product to speed the process up: http://magicalbutter.com/

Has anyone tried this? The similarities are quite striking: kava and cannabis both have very strong earthy flavors with unique culinary applications, THC and Kavain are both lipophilic, and both need to be kept below a certain temperature to avoid being destroyed.

Thoughts? This might be useful for making Kava soup, and you might even get an interesting "Bhang" style Kava drink out of this approach.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
The amount of root required to make a single dose of kavalactones complicates it. For instance the recipe you posted uses an ounce for the entire thing; a single night of kava for me is 2 ounces.

Also, while I haven't tried heating kava with a less-than-boiling temp, it might still dissolve the starch and result in a vile smoothie.

D

Deleted User01

@MikeB, yeh, I have been reading about the Cannabis thing. Like KavaDude said, Kava is very starchy and MJ is not so much. Everytime I overheat my Kava, I end up with a thick slimy drink which I cannot stomach. But try it anyway. Maybe you could slip it into some brownies. I have always yearned for some Kava Brownies that didn't suck.

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
You'd have to do some form of concentration, be that solvent based or aqueous. Then you could follow a MUCH lower heat process. I made something about it on the old forums. Hahaha it was not a way to introduce myself, I learned really fast how people feel about solvent based kava extractions.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
You'd have to do some form of concentration, be that solvent based or aqueous. Then you could follow a MUCH lower heat process. I made something about it on the old forums. Hahaha it was not a way to introduce myself, I learned really fast how people feel about solvent based kava extractions.
Yes. I agree here. But ethanol extractions, have somewhat proven to be unhealthy. Maybe think CO2 extraction, then add to Coconut oil. Also remember, not all coconut oils are the same. This is the good stuff. Much Love. Roaddog....

k2-_917c8af1-b8ad-4990-ae88-b9650edf79e9.v1.jpg

MrPink

Kava Curious
I would also have some concerns about the effects of heating the kava that much. Now I havnt made weed butter since I was in high school but from what I remember you had to heat up the oil quite a bit. Im also no chemist but I hear that stuff happens to chemicals when you heat them, they dont like it and so sometimes they turn into other chemicals. It might be that those same chemicals would turn into something harmful to get revenge.

Like apparently if you burn toast it gives you cancer.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I would also have some concerns about the effects of heating the kava that much. Now I havnt made weed butter since I was in high school but from what I remember you had to heat up the oil quite a bit. Im also no chemist but I hear that stuff happens to chemicals when you heat them, they dont like it and so sometimes they turn into other chemicals. It might be that those same chemicals would turn into something harmful to get revenge.

Like apparently if you burn toast it gives you cancer.
Shit good to know. I often burn toast. Much Love. Roaddog....

StinkWeed

Kava Enthusiast
You could also do multiple pulls with the same oil, swapping out the root as it becomes devoid of goodness, but I have no idea what else is to be pulled out by a fat, could be so much gunk that more than one pass isn't really do-able, like what kavadude said.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Maybe just melt a few tbsp of your oil, add root powder or micro and do the interval blender thing for a few minutes. Then just strain it and use the oil. Gotta make sure it stays hot to prevent coagulation though. At least until post straining. Then you just store it in the fridge and use as needed.

Hmm I think I have my weekend plans now...thanks me!

I think the amount of root material needed for kava effects is gonna require a ton of oil though.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Tried it last night annnnddd....pretty bad. Hah

I melted down 8 tbsp of coconut oil slowly on the stove. Added 4 tbsp of micro. Let it simmer and whisked for a while. Added cocoa and little sweetener.

Transferred to a bowl to cool and tried it. Pretty disgusting. It's gonna need better flavo(u)r to be useful I think. The problem seems to be that it takes so much kava for one session vs tee.H.see that the amount of liquid required will be huge. I mean what's a normal cookie recipe call for? Maybe a stick of butter at the most? Can you imagine extracting 4-5tbsp of root into a stick of butter? It would be dough already!

Keep at it though. This is interesting!

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Maybe one should start with Paradise Extracts, I have heard they are good. maybe instant would do the trick. Much Love. Roaddog....

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I mixed in micronized Nene into pancake mix and made pancakes once. Tasted pretty bad. I faulted by not making the strained kava first then use that as the liquid in the recipe. Still would've tasted bad though. Also, boiling kava makes it taste horrible :sour: