What's new

lipitor and kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kavamon

Jamaican me crazy
Hi All- I can't find any info on any negative interactions between the 2. Is anyone aware if lipitor and Kava can be taken together safely? My poop is now a different color and i've had some serious diarrhea mon/tues/wed, since trying kava last weekend- had a quite a lot and it is awesome!- but checking if any known interactions as I've had some tummy issues. My wife has had no GI issues. thoughts?

D

Deleted User01

I take .25 lipitor everyday. In fact, getting ready to take it now. I take lipitor in the morning and kava at night. Been doing it for many years with no adverse effect. Here is another thought. Kava gives some people "tummy problems" and others are not effected. Make sure you strain it good and make sure you are buying noble kava and not some crap that ranked at the bottom of the list. The kavas that are less than noble seem to irritate people more than not. For the record and so I don't piss off the ones who sell suspect kava, there are many with iron stomaches that can consume any type of kava without ill effect. Perhaps you are not one of those.
Here is my final prescription to all who have trouble with Kava. Get some Nene from @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. It is the most noble kava on earth and was used by Hawaiians for "their fretful child". So it is the safest one I know and is a personal favorite of mine for all those reasons. If you can't handle Nene (which means child in many languages), then you can't handle any kava (in my opinion). Though GHK may be more expensive (made in America), you are getting a product that was only handled once, by the farmer. Straight from the field to your cup and with no impurities or additives (Tudei).

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Good to know, I was pretty sure no side effects, but not 100%. I have taken the med.

Nirad

Kava Curious
I also take 20mg of Lipitor at night and have not had adverse reactions related to drinking Kava.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I don't take lipitor, but kava has no apparent interaction with fenofibrate, which I take for triglycerides.

The issue with taking any of these medications is how does kava effect your liver enzymes, which metabolize your drugs. If a medication stimulates your liver enzymes other medications will be metabolized more quickly, while if the liver enzymes are inhibited other drugs are not metabolized as quickly and will stay in your system. If this goes on long enough you can get toxic amounts of medication it your system. In a study done by the 2002 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12386118) it was shown that various kavalactones can inhibit your liver enzymes, meaning you could have more Lipitor floating around in your system that a normal 20 mg dose should have. But, since Lipitor can be dosed up to 80 mg daily you are probably fine. If your doctor checks your liver enzymes and everything is cool do not worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.