What's new

Powdered Kava Review Loa Lawena

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
First of all, hats off to the vendor and customer service and all that. Morgan delivered... My post office returned to sender and he actually gave me a heads up, and then resent my order after I got it worked out.

The Loa Lawena is a sweet find (thanks, forums(y)). Its milky-almond color. Smooth consistency, in both the dry powder and the grog. The powder has the small makas pieces that are about the size of beard trimmings or something like that. Not the thicker twigs seen in GHK Hiwa (only kind like that I can think of off hand, but there are a few). It handled nicely in the strainer. The small makes gave the powder some shape so that it didn't feel completely like wet clay. I noticed the change in texture as I kneaded, and was pretty comfortable about when the kneading was done. Sometimes I get crazy about getting every last bit of kavalactones, and I can't bring myself to stop kneading. With the Loa Lawena, it was really oily at first, then started to feel more like gardening soil consistency by the end. Upon second wash, the strainer kind of squeaked when I squeezed it.

It had a nice bite.... a mild, long bite. It wasn't a super peppery, lemon face, quick bite. It was more of a lips and mouth numbing and strong aromatics. The tip of my tongue tingled also. I find it refreshing. I find This to be a nice grog to bottle up and take with me, especially on my morning walks in the park with my dog. Couple gulps, no chaser.

The initial rush is quick. On my exhale, I felt a lightness in the back of my head, and my eyes only felt slightly droopy. I am then carried into a subtle cheeriness as my body seems to stretch out and become lighter. Sitting at my desk, it feels really good to lean back in my chair and stretch my legs out. Colors seem more saturated, and I'm a bit colder, but still comfortable. I find being productive in the office while drinking Loa Lawena is easy. I can be productive with any kava, but sometimes I have to stop "listening to the kava" to focus. The Loa Lawena sensation is comparable in a focused or un-focused state.

Loa Lawena also is good for watching binge worthy TV. Edgy heady kavas keep me from following plots well, and i reserve heavy kavas for watching mindless stuff like Maury and The Price is Right. Loa Lawena has a "Goldilocks sensation". Not too heady to sit still for a while, yet also not too melty to keep your from noticing subtleties.

I've never had a Kava that was labeled as lawena before I got this, so I can't speak for its tendency to exhibit typical lawena attributes. I have had other Fijians though, wakes, and this is truly different without being better or worse. It's complementary to waka. You can't try one without trying the other.

I've also found myself mixing Loa Lawena with edgier, heady kava to draw it out (both taste and effects). This mixture has been a good house party companion as of late. Nice and social.

Overall: Its great! its unique, yet an awesome go-to for any situation. I would buy it again.

Pictures: