What's new

Powdered Kava Review Loa Waka Fijian Kava

S

Summer

This is the first review I have felt compelled to write after 19 months of drinking kava.

I have been in a bit of a kava slump lately. Despite near daily drinking, for the past couple of months I have been feeling edgy, a tad depressed, and having choppy sleep. Generally I stick to 2-3 different cultivars, mainly Hawaiian (my absolute favorite, hands down). Hawaiian kava and me just get along. I had tried a Fijian kava before and did not particularly care for it. I prefer balanced kavas, as I like to drink around noon-5. This sets my afternoon up for clarity and my evening for calmness.

My general prep is 8 tablespoons in a knee-high in 2 cups hot tap water kneaded 10-12 minutes for the first wash, and second wash in one cup of warm water then strained and added to the first. I filter 3 times through the knee high, as too much sediment has caused nausea for me in the past. The taste was smooth and the color dark. I was able to see the nice oily sheen in my grog.

Fiji Loa Waka was not heady to me. It did, however, stop my negative thoughts pretty quickly. I wasn't eased into a blissful thought process the way my usual Mo'i does, but the Loa Waka shut down the repetitive thoughts and helped me to think calmly about things that normally bother me. It helped me to not obsess over things I normally would have. So, it didn't so much add to my mood but it was what it took away from my mood which was a pleasant effect. I had no touch of depression and here is the absolute sign of a winner to me - my sleep was effortless, deep, and sound for the first time in a few months. Since getting off the Klonopin, my sleep has almost always been interrupted and light. After drinking the Loa Waka, I actually made it to the alarm going off!

All in all a nice, mildly sedating, anxiety-busting kava. I will probably keep this one on hand for when I need a minor tolerance break.