What's new

Looking for the most intense, heady kava that can be shipped to the U.S.

I've found through my experimentation that I much prefer heady brews over heavy. I enjoy the euphoric ride, which is a great complement to my favorite daytime activities. I'm not a fan of stuff that makes me feel sleepy too fast. In essence, I use kava recreationally rather than medicinally.

Since I started my kava journey, I've only tried brands that are sold through Amazon, such as Wakacon, Dua Na Bilo, Koa, Kava Supreme, etc. I like Dua a lot, and it's the strongest head rush out of the Amazon stock as far as I can tell, but I can't help but think there's something stronger and better out there.

I found several vendor pages through these forums (like many have I'm sure), but I've never ordered directly from an out of country vendor before. What I would like from y'all is some aid in determining which site is the most reliable, and I would like some help in determining what I choose to buy, because again, I've been living in the Amazon kava bubble. Also some information concerning how long average shipping times are from each vendor would be welcome.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I found several vendor pages through these forums (like many have I'm sure), but I've never ordered directly from an out of country vendor before. What I would like from y'all is some aid in determining which site is the most reliable, and I would like some help in determining what I choose to buy, because again, I've been living in the Amazon kava bubble. Also some information concerning how long average shipping times are from each vendor would be welcome.
There are a bunch of vendors outside of Amazon but within the United States, so you have plenty of options before having to dip out for international orders (unless you feel compelled to pay a bunch of money on extra shipping costs). Shipping time is always based on your zip code and where you are in the country, I live in NYS and a lot of stuff comes from the west coast, I still get most of my orders within 3 business days (usually 2). If you are centrally located in the US, chances are shipping might be faster. The only place that takes longer is anything leaving Hawaii, expect a week from them.

You say you like heady so presumably you are familiar with Tongan kavas. Rather than listing every single website (I have other things to do) I'll give you the top 3 I think best will fit your needs.

1. Fiji Vanua - Everything ships 2 day priority free. Heady varieties below;

Those 2 are heady but the Kelai is even more so. He has a 2 lbs deal, DM him here and you guys can work something out, he is a great and responsive vendor.

2. Squanch Kava He sells a Waka (100% lateral roots) and a Lewena (base stump) they are both punchy but the Lewena will probably be more up your alley.

3 Art of Kava. Another great vendor with fast shipping!

So I wound up getting the Kelai from Fiji Vanua. Definitely a great euphoria, though it's kinda fleeting, lasting maybe 20 minutes before coming down to a mellow buzz. Will definitely give the others a shot as time goes by.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
So I wound up getting the Kelai from Fiji Vanua. Definitely a great euphoria, though it's kinda fleeting, lasting maybe 20 minutes before coming down to a mellow buzz. Will definitely give the others a shot as time goes by.
Kava has a calming nature regardless of cultivar. You will pretty much always experience that regardless of the strain. Some will start out mostly euphoric but they all settle into a comfortable mellow vibe. What is classified as a heavy kava can also have the euphoric 20 minutes or so in the beginning. Kava as whole, is not a stimulating plant.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I was going to recommend Squanch waka. @Krunʞy got there for me, and, what I wish to add is I don't find this kava too heady, I feel it is wonderfully balanced. One joy of the "in between" kavas is I seem to be able to have more of them in a session.

I remember when I switched from Dua na Bilo and the other kavas you mentioned, to Squanch. The same serving size went a lot further and seemed to have noticeable "cerebral magic". The Amazon kavas afterwards felt more like sleep aids than genuine kava, and it wasn't long until I started only ordering from my favorite vendors directly.