What's new

Lost Cities

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
So I'm drinking my melomelo, just started watching Lost Cities with Albert Lin and got to episode 2 and noticed what appeared to be our beverage of choice, however I didn't recognize the name - Sakau. When he mentioned his tongue going numb I did a googlin' and whatya' know - it's Kava! Anyways, if you guys havn't watched it the series is hella interesting so far but specifically episode 2 of season 1.

I will say it looks super gnarly the way/when they make it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So I'm drinking my melomelo, just started watching Lost Cities with Albert Lin and got to episode 2 and noticed what appeared to be our beverage of choice, however I didn't recognize the name - Sakau. When he mentioned his tongue going numb I did a googlin' and whatya' know - it's Kava! Anyways, if you guys havn't watched it the series is hella interesting so far but specifically episode 2 of season 1.

I will say it looks super gnarly the way/when they make it.
Yeah buddy, that slime is real. The hibiscus bark they use during prep adds mucilage and makes a thick slimly kava drink. It also allows the kava suspension to hold much more particulates, which usually ends up with a wickedly strong brew.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Sakau - the Pohnpei version of kava - mostly comes from Santo, Vanuatu these days. They don't grow much themselves in Pohnpei and when I was last in Santo the Forney folks told me that Pohnpei was a regular export customer of theirs. Fitting, as Pohnpei was originally populated from Melanesia (the genetics say PNG but they may well have passed through Vanuatu for a few generations).