What's new

Powdered Kava Review Maewo Island, Boroguru

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Many of you are aware of my fondness for this particular variety. When I saw Andrew's place was carrying Boroguru from a different island I was eager to try it. Compared to it's Ambae Island cousin from BKH this Boroguru, from Maewo Island, is what I would call subtle and elegant.

Maewo island Boroguru has the signature smell of most Vanuatu kava, peppery and earthy. But there is also a faint background of peppermint detectable to the nose. My first bag of Ambae island Boroguru also had a peppermint background, although noticeably more pronounced. It makes me wonder if all Boroguru regardless of which island it comes from has this peppermint background. It would be a rather convenient way to identify it.

The taste is dominated by grass and quinine accompanied with the familiar earthy and peppery flavor associated with a typical Vanuatu offering. It also hides very subtle hints of clay in the background.

The affects are quite nice and as complex as it's Ambae island counterpart. It is however, a much smoother ride. There are no surprises or sudden upswings. It's a smooth, scenic ascent to a warm, content place, feeling like you are wrapped in a heavy blanket. Overall, this version of Boroguru is a slow-rolling joy ride down a river during a perfect day. Grab a sandwich, a bag of your favorite crisps and enjoy the drift. Welcome to Maewo Island.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted User01

Nice review Vetka. Your detail descriptions make me think that you could make a living tasting wine.