What's new

Mahakea

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Went back and tried this one again. Or, I should say, I finished off what I had. 4 tbsp/4 cups of water and I got a little bit of a buzz. But then about 45 minutes in I started to feel sick. I was supposed to have dinner with a friend and had to cancel. Gross Kava

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
I wonder how it compares to Hawaiian Kava Center's mahakea. They always seem to be in stock of that kava. I did try kona kava's and found it to be weak and I wasn't that keen on the taste.

I've had some success mixing this kava in a 50/50 ratio with Chief's Jungle. It seems to mellow out the gnarly flavors of both while providing a more noticeable eurphoria which last anywhere from 1 to 2 hours, while long term feelings of relaxation tend to last up to 5 hours after my last shell.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Interesting combo. Isn't this Kava prohibitively expensive for how little you receive? I would think mixing a better value, cleaner-tasting Kava would be preferable to this stuff.

Oh, I completely agree. This was just the first Kava I ordered online before stumbling across these forums and your blog. I'm running low on Chief's Jungle while waiting for my shipment of Wow! and just thought I'd give this combo a shot to stretch it out a bit. Certainly not my favorite, but i thought I'd throw the idea out there for anyone else sitting on a pound of this decidedly "meh" Kava.

This was almost the first Kava I tried.  Fortunately I tried some from Vanuatu prior.  Had I not, I might not have tried another Kava again.  I have over a pound of it and 1/2 of chips for sale.  Sell it for $20, 15, 10?????     Useless stuff ....

kl.Korgai

Kava Curious
I've been using kona kava for years. Until stumbling upon this blog I thought I was developing too high a tolerance for kava but I guess their stuff has just been getting weaker and too coarse a grind. (It seemed like the coarser it got the weaker.) But I haven't experienced any of the bad side effects I've been reading about here. I'm now trying out chief's jungle and it's really not bad. Not quite as potent as expected but better than kona.

kl.Korgai

Kava Curious
Those are absolutely next on my list. I also just ordered the fresh and powdered kavas from Paradise. Psyched!

kl.new2kava

Kava Enthusiast
I made the kona mistake too, but prior I'd been buying Vanatu from a local headshop for a couple bucks an oz and realized quick it does not work when pepared as it K@, the best effects I've ever got from kava where from a legit 30%kavlectone extract from a randam ebay posting, shit outright made me trip, all other extracts I've tried sucked. I'd never bought kava root until kona and if I hadn't had past positive experience with it I'd have thrown in the towel, friggin useless stuff. I recently tried nah chiefs and liked it not as strong as I'd hoped but good, I didn't mind the taste either. People who think kava tastes bad should try lagolis inebriens (intoxicating mint) thats friggin rugged, works though, I've got some solomon island comming anyday soon and just ordered up a lb of rex tudei we'll see whats up then

kavalover

Outsider
I don't know guys, personally I enjoy the Mahakea from Kona Kava as a great weekday Kava.

I have just learned my lesson with their dosing advice. I use 1 cup of this Kava per 4 cups of water, it is a very weak Kava I'd agree, but this prepaation works wonders for me. I'd still prefer the Mahakea from Hawaiian Kava Center, but I think the variety from Kona Kava has a lot of undeserved bad rep. Might be just the batch they sold at the time you guys bought it, not sure. All I know is that I've ordered their Kava three times and have been satisfied each time.

Would probably be a decent kava if it was processed better.  Very dirty muddy tasting kava. I wouldn't pick on the potency too much though if you like the more body buzz type kava. I myself like Van3 a lot and love the taste and effect. I might puchase Kona kava for 10 dollars a pound. It is way overpriced in my opinion.

kl.pep

Kava Curious
i fight to get this kava down...i find it very strong tasting, but not very strong in effects. I just blasted down 8tbs and two cups, and nothing (except a bit of heartburn and ill feel in the stomach).

I don't think i'll be ordering this again.

kl.pep

Kava Curious
tonight i mixed 1/2 cup of Kona and 1/2 cup of V3 and i am bombed...it hit me well i was eating dinner with the family, which was a bit uncomfortable as I got very dizzy, but that subsided into a nice strong buzz. Either way I still don't think i'll order again.

kl.pep4848

Kava Curious
Well, i just threw out my bag of Kona. It gave me way to much of a gag reflex that I couldn't take it anymore. After numerous sampling, I think i'll be going with the following regularly:

1. KBR- Fiji Waka
2. KBR- Tongan Pride
3. Paradise- 9 year
4. BKH- Instant Green

These seem to hit the spot.