What's new

Mahakea

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I'm going to order some as soon as I can get the funds transferred to pay-pal. I'll let you know.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Project460 said:
Anyone tried this stuff? Thinking about getting some, I realllllly want a hawaiian kava!
Alright, I got the Mahakea today and couldn't wait so I brewed up about 3 bowls over the course of about an hour. It's about 2:30 pm and I just got finished with it.

This Kava was very different from anything I've tried so far. It didn't smell at all like dirt, no peppery smell, non of that. When I opened the bag it was very subtle, flowery and sweet to the nose. The flavor is also sweet. It tasted mostly like black tea with a very slight background of sugarcane. After I wet the kava and worked it a little bit I smelled the wet Mahakea and it almost smelled like clover honey.

This is not a heavy handed kava, It's very mellow, very gentle and sort of builds on you slowly.Don't rush anything. In fact it's still kind of picking up as I type. But after my first bowl I could feel gravity gently pulling me down into my chair. It was overall just very nice and easy going. This stuff tastes good and it's easy to drink...really easy to drink. I didn't use anything but water. I'm quite pleased with it.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Vesuvio Cat said:
Wow. I just ordered. Great review!
I hope you like it as much as I did. I hope you get the same smells and taste experiences as I did to. It was a surprise to me.I'm going to have to have another few bowls of it sooner than usual. It's kind of hard to believe how different it is from my other selections. My dad was also really surprised how different it smelled from all the other kava I've brought to the house. He normally likes to point out how much like dirt kava smells like. Not this one.

Hmm. Hate to bump an old thread, but it seems most appropriate.

Their mahakea has a really attractive price and I'm about to order a pound. Has anyone besides Vekta had some yet? It'd be nice to have a second opinion and another report of the effects. How do the potency and feel compare to Hiwa? I'm assuming it's more mellow and maybe has less kavain. Also, the taste description sounds really great! (even though I can't believe how Fire Island gets described as "mild" tasting)

kl.Jerome

Kava Curious
I've had quite a bit of this stuff now and I always find myself grinning after a few big cups.  Very peaceful and light kava, nice euphoriant effect.

kl.Gray Owl

Kava Enthusiast
Based on the things that I've been reading about kava biology and chemistry, I'm wondering if Kona Kava is digging up their roots too young. I wonder if anyone has tried both HKC Mahakea and Kona Kava Mahakea and can compare.

kavalover

Outsider
I've wondered that as well. HKC Mahakea tastes similar to Kona Kava Mahakea but much more pronounced effects and immediate deep muscle 'euphoria' which, come to think of it, I miss that stuff :(

Kona is so weak you raise a good point in the age of the roots

kl.Gray Owl

Kava Enthusiast
I tried the HKC Mahakea last night and it was very nice, the taste was very nice milder than Mo'i, a bit more bitter, but with much stronger effects, I think this is my new favorite kava. I fell asleep at one point and had a wonderful nap, so maybe this isn't a great party kava or weekday kava. I want to try a blend of this with the HKC Tuday to see what I get, probably going to try that this afternoon.

kl.Kokpa

I`m drinking my first ever shell of Kava as I write this. I chose HKC Mahakea as an introductory Kava because of the price & the reviews in this post. I agree that it is very mild & sweet tasting, not harsh at all. I`m starting to feel the euphoric effects - now I know why you guys drink this stuff!!

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Yes kokpa! Welcome aboard. This forum is the only place people get it. Few of my friends (or my govt for that matter) get it. So when I'm krunked this is where I hang out. Great to have a growing population here.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
This was the first kava I tried and it didn't do a thing for me. I hadn't built up my reverse tolerance yet though, and it really really showed. I've been a kava drinker for the past four months and I just tried Mahakea again (I saved good bit of my original purchase)... good stuff.

It has a much coarser texture than a Fu'u, but if you prepare with care I think you'll enjoy the effect just as much. I found it very enjoyable on second try, and I'm kind of eager for another go with it mixed with a high DHM kava.

The price on this kava is good, so if this is your first try I'd give it time to have an effect.