What's new

Makas risk assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
I love my quality kava, but I can't always afford it, and there's always a legal risk mail ordering any kava to Australia. I take kava medicinally- it's literally a lifesaver- and am sometimes dependent on the best one I have cheap and legal access to here (Taki Mai powdered)(sadly). It's not a great kava, but it does what I need it to do in a pinch...just wondering about long-term risks of consuming all those makas over time. Obvs I can expect some dermo problems, but are there health risks beyond the discomfort of dermo and (for me) very mild GI pain? The powder is so fine the makas are indistinguishable from the rest...as has been pointed out here before, there's no point straining this stuff because everything is the same particle size.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I love my quality kava, but I can't always afford it, and there's always a legal risk mail ordering any kava to Australia. I take kava medicinally- it's literally a lifesaver- and am sometimes dependent on the best one I have cheap and legal access to here (Taki Mai powdered)(sadly). It's not a great kava, but it does what I need it to do in a pinch...just wondering about long-term risks of consuming all those makas over time. Obvs I can expect some dermo problems, but are there health risks beyond the discomfort of dermo and (for me) very mild GI pain? The powder is so fine the makas are indistinguishable from the rest...as has been pointed out here before, there's no point straining this stuff because everything is the same particle size.
Seriously? Is it considered micronized? Have you attempted to knead it in a real kava bag with very fine porosity? If it isn't micronized, its hard to comprehend why you couldn't knead it.

Last edited:

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I don’t know the answer to this. My best guess is just longer term GI risk. Just make sure you’re pooping regularly with that tree like makas fiber.

Curious what health problems is it helping you with? I love to hear these things since I use it for that too.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Seriously? Is it considered micronized? Have you attempted to knead it in a real kava bag with very fine porosity? If it isn't micronized, its hard to comprehend why you couldn't knead it.
They don't call it micronized, just powdered. But it's very fine, almost dust. I have an excellent kava strainer from NZ Kava Society.
I would assume that taking the makas down to such a fine grind would mitigate *some* of the problems? Less irritating, maybe?

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Curious what health problems is it helping you with? I love to hear these things since I use it for that too.
Mental health stuff. Bipolar, PTSD, anxiety, depression. Suicidal ideation.
I've tried using it for headaches and cramps, without much effect, although I hear stories otherwise. Possibly because I'm using headier kavas in the main.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
They don't call it micronized, just powdered. But it's very fine, almost dust. I have an excellent kava strainer from NZ Kava Society.
I would assume that taking the makas down to such a fine grind would mitigate *some* of the problems? Less irritating, maybe?
So you have tried trad-prepping it? Was there something weird about the prepped-grog that made you worried or does it just look powdery before you start to knead?

[P.S. My uneducated two cents on you original question: I would guess Islanders didn't get every sliver of makas out of their brew back when thy were straining with plant fibers; The first batch of Kavafied's Bati I tried was absurdly fine and the worst it did to me was give me gas (I could actually feel the "kava ball" shrink as I kneaded it).]

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
So you have tried trad-prepping it? Was there something weird about the prepped-grog that made you worried or does it just look powdery before you start to knead?

[P.S. My uneducated two cents on you original question: I would guess Islanders didn't get every sliver of makas out of their brew back when thy were straining with plant fibers; The first batch of Kavafied's Bati I tried was absurdly fine and the worst it did to me was give me gas (I could actually feel the "kava ball" shrink as I kneaded it).]
Thanks for your feedback, recentreturn. I did try traditional prepping it but it was a few months ago and can't remember if there was something weird about the prepped grog, except that there wasn't much left in the bag. Usually I use micro, too, so my knowledge of what is normal for traditional prep is limited, but usually I'll have a good ball of root in the bag afterwards.

Palmetto

Thank God!
Good kava removes the makas before grinding. Some larger fibers are often left. More lignified fibers, perhaps, yet not automatically makas. I trust @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. Sometimes you find hard fibers in their medium grind, but I'm sure they're not makas, because he takes great care to remove makas, and controls the process himself.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
I trust @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. Sometimes you find hard fibers in their medium grind, but I'm sure they're not makas, because he takes great care to remove makas, and controls the process himself.
I'd love to access GHK, but he doesn't ship to Australia. I sometimes mail order from other quality vendors, just to remind myself what good kava is, but there is a very real legal risk here in Aus. Gotta try and make the best of a bad situation.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Makas is a multipurpose word in the western world. It comes from the Bislama word makas, which was borrowed from the French word bagasse.

Bagasse is leftover woody plant fibers, such as after pressing sugar cane to extract sugar.

Makas in Bislama is leftover ground (or chewed) kava root material, after it's already been squeezed once. You can make further rounds of kava from makas, though it is weaker than body.

Any kind of medium grind kava contains woody fibers. Instant kava does not, as it's usually produced by dehydrating liquid grog that's already been filtered.

To me, hard fiber chunks are not "makas" until they've been kneaded and squeezed. Makas is analogous used coffee grounds, or washed yerba mate. Jas tingting blo wan man hu i laef insaed wan trak kolosap long freswota.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Mental health stuff. Bipolar, PTSD, anxiety, depression. Suicidal ideation.
I've tried using it for headaches and cramps, without much effect, although I hear stories otherwise. Possibly because I'm using headier kavas in the main.
I didn’t know it could help bipolar, that’s neat! It helps PTSD, anxiety and muscle pain from CFS/ME for me.
I don’t have depression anymore but one of my friends who does has to go easy on the heavier kavas bc those consumed too frequently can make it worse for him.
I personally have to use balanced or heavy kavas to get the pain and anxiety relief. Sorry I know I’m off topic now but so happy kava has helped you with those health problems!

Hopefully Australia will change their laws. How long have you been consuming makas this way? If you feel fine, what you’re doing is probably fine and I love what other people have said here about it as well.

Bula!

Status
Not open for further replies.