What's new

MAKAS (used kava remains) WANTED - Yes, I'm serious.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hmm, and I suppose you would prefer it dry. That may be the only issue keeping people from participating.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I'm curious why you don't also want a sample of the dry kava as well, for a baseline.
EDIT: Heh, Kapmcrunk: GMTA.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Why don't you just make a brew with the kava you have and then take the makas and test it.?
Also @Henry The term makas means rubbish and it is all that is thrown away after making your kava drink, weather it is fresh or the dry powder.
It just so happens that it is the hard fibers that is in the kava root that is the makas.
Aloha.

Chris

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Why don't you just make a brew with the kava you have and then take the makas and test it.?
Also @Henry The term makas means rubbish and it is all that is thrown away after making your kava drink, weather it is fresh or the dry powder.
It just so happens that it is the hard fibers that is in the kava root that is the makas.
Aloha.

Chris
Thanks for the explanation, Chris! So the term applies to both the hard fibres that you remove when you make your excellent micronized kava AND the leftovers from regular kava extraction.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Thanks for the explanation, Chris! So the term applies to both the hard fibres that you remove when you make your excellent micronized kava AND the leftovers from regular kava extraction.
Hi Henry, I find that the only left overs are the hard fibers, since I clean off the bark and all that stuff the only thing left after making a kava drink is the hard makas, the hard fibers, all the other stuff is pulped up and gets mixed into the drink. There might be some small portions of plant material that gets through but for the most part it is all the hard fibers.
Do you remember that sticky sludge at the bottom of the kava bowl in Vanuatu with the fresh root? That is the stuff that "fresh kava" is made from.
Just pure kava goodness, no makas.
Aloha.

Chris

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Deleted User ooooh, I gotcha. Yep, now it's clear. I'm sure I can manage to hang on to some of the mountains of discardable, post-knead kava makas.

Bwiggy

I like plants
I'm curious about ALL the elements that affect the kavalactones. Fluoride for one.

ALSO, once it hits the body, it's our digestive system that causes nutrients etc. to be more or less bio available to us.
Cayenne pepper and ginger are super foods for digestion and facilitate the body's use of what we put in it.
Lecithin is the "champ" of nutrient assimilation and specifically aids in the absorption of fat soluble nutrients.
See more here: http://www.totalhealthmagazine.com/...nts/helping-nutrients-be-more-nutritious.html
and elsewhere. Lots of agreement in this area.

While most of the discussion in the forum is about external extraction methods, there are some important internal ones as well, I would say. It
seems to be anyway.

So tonight I'm having a couple shells of that Tongan variety from @Kalm with Kava and will add lecithin and cayenne and chase it with fresh ginger.

My frame of reference is that I'm very interested in being healthy (after having chronic pain, sleeplessness and consistently shut sinuses).

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
ALSO, once it hits the body, it's our digestive system that causes nutrients etc. to be more or less bio available to us.
Cayenne pepper and ginger are super foods for digestion and facilitate the body's use of what we put in it.
Lecithin is the "champ" of nutrient assimilation and specifically aids in the absorption of fat soluble nutrients.
See more here: http://www.totalhealthmagazine.com/...nts/helping-nutrients-be-more-nutritious.html
and elsewhere. Lots of agreement in this area.
That's interesting. I've eschewed the lecithin since starting up with it, figuring it made no difference. I hadn't noticed any difference. I may have to reevaluate that stance. I'll check out the link.

As for kava being useful for chronic pain, sleeplessness, and consisently shut sinuses. Even before you've reached Reverse Tolerance point, it will help with sleeplessness. Possibly with pain as it has some (weak) analgesic properties. Once you've passed the RT point, it will DEFINITELY help with sleeplessness, may help more with chronic pain if your pain is joint related, exacerbated by muscle tension or of a nervous system variety. It will likely clear your nasal passages as well, as it's a strong diuretic and also tends to try the skin, lips and for me, my nasal membranes.

Even if it doesn't come through with the trifecta, it's definitely enjoyable and soothing and will increase your quality of life in general, IMHO.