What's new

Makas

Alfred

Kava Curious
Not an expert here on makas but from what I have researched you dont really want the makas in your kava because of the increase in nausea. Maybe some of the kava vets will chime in but that is what I've read. All the best.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
I’ve been using a strainer bag and saving the Makas after the first wash. I have an Aluball coming today for convenience. How does dosage work?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Not an expert here on makas but from what I have researched you dont really want the makas in your kava because of the increase in nausea. Maybe some of the kava vets will chime in but that is what I've read. All the best.

You are correct - but some folks in order to get every drop of KL out of their kava will save the used and washed makas in the freezer. It is hypothesized that freezing them will help break open the cell walls and help release more KL when you remove them, thaw them, and blend them up for additional washes. Having done it myself it definitely works and if you are willing to put in the extra time you can get more for you $ using this method.

Alfred

Kava Curious
You are correct - but some folks in order to get every drop of KL out of their kava will save the used and washed makas in the freezer. It is hypothesized that freezing them will help break open the cell walls and help release more KL when you remove them, thaw them, and blend them up for additional washes. Having done it myself it definitely works and if you are willing to put in the extra time you can get more for you $ using this method.
Got it! Thanks. I was wondering about saving the used root. So that is called makas? The used root? Will definitely five it a try.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
It makes good tea, I have saved quite a bit of used kava root in the freezer to, all at once, gather a large amount in my strainer and squeeze in a lot of hot water. This tea lasts me 2 or 3 days.

I sacrifice a little potency by heating the roots to 165 degrees then straining (no squeeze!) to make sure none of the roots were contaminated by my hands, freezing, or being left out. I'm really good at it, but that water I throw out is usually worth it. You can also brew green tea twice, yerba mate 3 times, and chaga 10 to 15 times. I have even brewed coffee twice in times of need. Do it! Enjoy your tea!

Nickavalas Turtle

Kava Curious
Day 1 of using the large bags of makas that I have collected so far on my first month plus journey with Kava. First impression after downing my getting to work shell is that there’s still plenty of goodness left behind that we should all be capitalizing on. Was that shell weaker than the first wash? Yes. But once you get a handle on approximately how much makas is required to achieve first/second wash bliss and I believe that it is well worth the work.

Have a great day everyone!

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Oh yeah. I had my freezer makas on a night where I wanted to party by myself, 2 shells and a long walk. Very good night! Tasty tea. So good. Keep doing it if you like