What's new

Kava Preparation making homemade instant kava powder from medium grind?

Honolulusurfer88

Kava Curious
after watching this video from kavafied on using the aeropress coffee device to make instant kava, i am curious on the thoughts of this forum on whether this could qualify for true instant kava?

I really enjoy instant kava because it is the only kava so far after testing many that i do not seem to have problems with. but the cost is incredibly prohibitive, so i was hoping to find some way to make something even close to instant kava at home.

do you guys have any advice, tips or tricks? I saw @Kapmcrunk thread from years ago on making instant kava. it appeared to be very time consuming and energy expensive. was wondering if anything has changed in these last 8 years, or any new methods of at-home instant have become popular?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
after watching this video from kavafied on using the aeropress coffee device to make instant kava, i am curious on the thoughts of this forum on whether this could qualify for true instant kava?

I really enjoy instant kava because it is the only kava so far after testing many that i do not seem to have problems with. but the cost is incredibly prohibitive, so i was hoping to find some way to make something even close to instant kava at home.

do you guys have any advice, tips or tricks? I saw @Kapmcrunk thread from years ago on making instant kava. it appeared to be very time consuming and energy expensive. was wondering if anything has changed in these last 8 years, or any new methods of at-home instant have become popular?
It's still time consuming. It honestly seems instant production is getting more complex as time goes on. Matt's way of making instant kava here is great. It's not exactly the way instant kava is made when we buy them off the internet, but it absolutely works. It's more like "instant pre-made powdered kava" instead of "instant kava". There are qualitative differences, but they're close.

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
I'm actually curious, what methods do vendors tend to use for creating instant kava (vs micronized, which is obviously just finer-ground root material)? Are they just making kava with the traditional prep method and then dehydrating the resulting drink?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm actually curious, what methods do vendors tend to use for creating instant kava (vs micronized, which is obviously just finer-ground root material)? Are they just making kava with the traditional prep method and then dehydrating the resulting drink?
What I've learned is that micronized kava is created by sifting medium grind kava with progressively finer screens.

True instant kava should be made with fresh green kava, made into the traditional kava beverage, and then dehydrated.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I am currently attempting to dehydrate about 700ml of waka in my Ninja dehydrator, I'll post some pics with results later.

In a nutshell, I kneaded a little over a cup of root in 800 ml of water, I set the timer for 10 hours at 150F.

Adjusted temp down to 135F, per veggies chart, reset for 7 hours.

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Update;

After approximately 10 hours.
10 hours.jpg

I restarted it this morning because it went off around 2-3am but I was asleep already. When I restarted, I forgot to lower the temp from 150F to 135F, now at 120F but below is what it looked at 150F. It's obviously too fast.

12 hours.jpg

In about 4 hours, I should have a finished product.

In hindsight, I should have after the initial prep, let it sit out for an hour or so and drain the excess liquid, before starting the process. It would have likely shaved 4-5 hours from the total time.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I rehydrated about a third of that and shot it down, tastes funky but definitely stronger.

Conclusion; It's easier to buy instant but it's fun to mess around, I can see this as a much better approach for baking, this would make a wonderful caramel and kava filling.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I rolled up the equivalent of a tablespoon and threw it back with a glass of milk last night. I think there is something to be said about that, it was weird to swallow a chunk of kava like that but I must say, 0 taste on the way down with full-on effects.

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
To make a lot of instant kava, imho the best way is to either vacuum distill or freeze dry the prepared kava. There are home freeze drying units but they're still a couple thousand dollars. If u buy a lot of kava...worth it? I personally would love to have one for kava and everything else heh. A home vacuum distillation set up would cost i think min about 1k. U can reduce the boiling point to pretty darn low depending on ur equipment. id say like 104f would be ideal. But either way you just prepare like the above and the dehydration process is just faster and with a more fancy machine. i love gadgets

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
vacuum kit minus the heater

home freeze dryer - imho if ur gona spend money, id get this. imagine freeze drying to make ur own instant kava. make ur ice cream with the instant kava....then freeze drying that into space ice cream <3
I've considered this more than once. I'd probably be able to find a few other uses for it too. The prices have steadily dropped over the years. Last time I looked it was 15k for a refurbished one. Now you can buy a brand new home model for like $2200

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
To make a lot of instant kava, imho the best way is to either vacuum distill or freeze dry the prepared kava. There are home freeze drying units but they're still a couple thousand dollars. If u buy a lot of kava...worth it? I personally would love to have one for kava and everything else heh. A home vacuum distillation set up would cost i think min about 1k. U can reduce the boiling point to pretty darn low depending on ur equipment. id say like 104f would be ideal. But either way you just prepare like the above and the dehydration process is just faster and with a more fancy machine. i love gadgets
I am working with a Ninja air fryer which as high tech as it gets for me lol.

Drinking it traditionally is the way to go, I'll leave the instant for the professionals.