What's new

Kava Preparation Maple Syrup!

Crowe

Kava Curious
Anyone tried maple syrup with their kava? I've tried honey and it was all right. But I just tried maple syrup and it was really good! It causes a weird separation so you have to drink it from a shakable container, but it is very good!

Blergs

Kava Curious
Never thought to try that actually. I just drink my kava with water or a water soymilk mix. I should try this, I live in Canada and maple syrup is everywhere lol

Jean

Kava Curious
I regularly drink kava with a bit of marple syrup, the perfect mix, a kind of sweet woody taste merges. However preparing kava with marple syrup ( water + marple syrup as emulsifier before straining) has not been very successful so far. For the latter, I've had better results with honey.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
How would I infuse the maple syrup to make caramels of kava? Simmer the mapke syrup and roots together until it gets globby and then attempt to strain it? Or the other option is I could brew a concentrated coconut cream of kava with perhaps a cup coconut cream and a two thirds kava so that you end up with a half cup cream, you could try to make caramels, kava dry has not too much moisture. Good luck straining however, as heat and stirring will be part of your brewing process.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I actually tried Maple Syrup and was disappointed
Because it was weak compared to the kava, so I could hardly taste it at all.
I realized I would have to put a LOT of it in my kava to taste it, but I aint gonna do that, with the ridiculous price that maple syrup costs

Crowe

Kava Curious
I actually tried Maple Syrup and was disappointed
Because it was weak compared to the kava, so I could hardly taste it at all.
I realized I would have to put a LOT of it in my kava to taste it, but I aint gonna do that, with the ridiculous price that maple syrup costs
I understand that! I don't use it all the time, but rather as a treat. We get the large containers at Costco. Also I don't think it's that expensive compared to the cost of kava.

AndrewG

Kava Curious
What grade of maple syrup did you use? I presume this would have an effect on the flavor.

Jean

Kava Curious
What grade of maple syrup did you use? I presume this would have an effect on the flavor.
From the three levels of maple syrup “cooking”, I use the one in the middle, light brown. But I guess that the darker the better for kava.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I use grade B on my pancakes, it tends to be thicker and more flavorful, yet not as sweet. it is harder to get but so worth it! Not sure about kava + Maple but for those that enjoy the combo, try and get grade B.

It is worth noting that grade B maple syrup has even more antioxidants than grade A.

Hermes

Kava Curious
I use grade B on my pancakes, it tends to be thicker and more flavorful, yet not as sweet. it is harder to get but so worth it! Not sure about kava + Maple but for those that enjoy the combo, try and get grade B.

It is worth noting that grade B maple syrup has even more antioxidants than grade A.
According to an article summarized by Dr. Greger of NutritionFacts.org there are only two natural sweeteners that are actually nutritious: date syrup and blackstrap molasses. Everything else, antioxidant-wise compares unfavorably by a huge degree

But maple syrup does indeed taste good. It is just unaffordable. Even in Quebec and Ontario?

However, I feel guilty even adding lecithin or coconut milk. My understanding of traditional herbalism is that one is supposed to taste the food or drug for maximum effect. If kava is bitter, enjoy the bitterness!

Crowe

Kava Curious

Thanks for the input! Idk but I just got the alert!

Forretressqt

Kava Curious
I have only ever added sweet stuff to instant kava- it's very palatable compared to traditional to the point where it's almost enjoyable.

I've always just sucked it up when it comes to traditional- I find that no matter what I add it's just going to taste funky as!

Crowe

Kava Curious
According to an article summarized by Dr. Greger of NutritionFacts.org there are only two natural sweeteners that are actually nutritious: date syrup and blackstrap molasses. Everything else, antioxidant-wise compares unfavorably by a huge degree

But maple syrup does indeed taste good. It is just unaffordable. Even in Quebec and Ontario?

However, I feel guilty even adding lecithin or coconut milk. My understanding of traditional herbalism is that one is supposed to taste the food or drug for maximum effect. If kava is bitter, enjoy the bitterness!
Well if you want to make it a matter of conscience, then you do you! Lol this is kava let's not take it too seriously!