What's new

Powdered Kava Review Marang-Marang (Tanna Island)

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I was greeted with a very pleasant boutique of Earth and Spice upon opening the bag. I decided to try a variation of the boiling water method as per Gourmet Hawaiian Kava. Yes, it does seem to extract more of the silky resin goodness but it is not very friendly to the taste of the prepared kava.

The taste was dominated by mineral and pine in equal proportions. There isn't much more to say about the taste beyond that.

This kava, prepared with boiling water, is quite formidable. I experienced the very slightest touch of euphoria. I was smiling after the first shell, very relaxed and sinking loose in my chair in between bites of dinner. This kava left me with a very content feeling and a little more aware of gravity. I enjoy this kava although I'm a little too loosened up by it to properly convey this. In a nutshell...it's good.:happy:

Last edited by a moderator:

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Cold Water Prep Tasting Notes

Cold water prep reveals a mild earth taste instead of the mineral taste of the hot water prep. Unlike the balanced between mineral and pine from the hot water prep, the cold water prep features a much more pine dominated taste (30/70, earth/ pine). A gentle backdrop of cream also comes through with the cold water prep that was not present in the hot water prep brew.

The effects are on par with the hot water prep with the exception of the sedative and anxiolytic ranking which only drops one point to 3 and 4 in that order.

After having tried the hot (boiling) water prep I can say that I prefer cold/warm water prep. In my opinion too much character is lost with minimal gain. To each his or her own. I know many of us don't drink kava for the taste but I personally enjoy tasting my kava. I think it adds to the experience and proves (at least to me) kava has as much to offer as any other fine drink as far as the subject of taste goes.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I like how you described the difference you experienced between the boiling and the cold water method, I actually like the cold water method better and for the reasons you stated. Aloha.

Chris

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@Vekta, I would like to convert this review to our new shell rated format.
Could you rate this Kava for me? 1 shell being the lowest and 5 shells being the highest.
Thanks!!