What's new

Method to make BKH's CO2 paste in your kitchen

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
Takes me more than half a tube to feel any of the effects from the CO2 paste, so it has been getting kind of expensive. That, and it is currently sold-out. I have a very high tolerance for kava and in order to feel any effects from traditional kava, I need to use a full cup, whether it is traditionally prepared or with the Aluballs. I usually get pretty nauseous drinking this much kava, but not with the paste. I think my insanely high tolerance is mostly due to the Zoloft I am taking, because I could feel the effects after only using 4 TBSP before I started taking Zoloft.

I was hoping to be able to make something similar at home. If not a paste, an extract which I could drink. I couldn't care less about the taste, as if it is a small quantity of liquid, it probably wouldn't be too much to drink to begin with. I realize that I don't have any of the high-tech machinery or flavorings that Bula Kava House might have, but I would like to avoid spending $2000/yr on kava. Is there any method that anyone would be able to post? Thanks in advance.

verticity

I'm interested in things
There is a thread on this forum about how to make homemade extract, which you can find by searching. But I really don't recommend it for your purposes. If you figure out the cost of materials (kava powder plus solvent) you would not save any money and might even need to spend more to make the equivalent to a 30g tube of 70% paste. Plus the time and effort would be substantial. BKH's price is very reasonable for what you get, equivalent to about half a pound of kava. If they are sold out you might try another extract product such as the Gaia capsules.

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
Good to know; thank you. I have taken a dozen Gaia pills at a time amongst others, but maybe I should try to take more. Just didn't want to overdose on anything that might not be in the powder made for driking.

verticity

I'm interested in things
At the risk of sounding like a scold: Be careful. These are highly concentrated extracts we are talking about. If you take too much of any extract product you could have adverse side effects or interactions with your meds. More than a dozen Gaia capsules seems excessive. Based on my experience with them, not something I would recommend. Maybe just accept the fact that kava is less effective for you as a result of the meds and don't overdo it...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Unfortunately, without that $10k supercritical hydrocarbon extractor setup, I'm afraid extracts like Bula Kava House's just aren't within the range of "do it yourself" activities. I have seen a personal CO2 extractor for $4000, but you can only run an ounce of product at a time. That would yield less than one gram of kavalactones per run. We've seen a few people use coconut oil as a carrier to extract kavalactones, but it never really took off due to the time needed and quality of the finished product that was only very lightly active.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Takes me more than half a tube to feel any of the effects from the CO2 paste, so it has been getting kind of expensive. That, and it is currently sold-out. I have a very high tolerance for kava and in order to feel any effects from traditional kava, I need to use a full cup, whether it is traditionally prepared or with the Aluballs. I usually get pretty nauseous drinking this much kava, but not with the paste. I think my insanely high tolerance is mostly due to the Zoloft I am taking, because I could feel the effects after only using 4 TBSP before I started taking Zoloft.

I was hoping to be able to make something similar at home. If not a paste, an extract which I could drink. I couldn't care less about the taste, as if it is a small quantity of liquid, it probably wouldn't be too much to drink to begin with. I realize that I don't have any of the high-tech machinery or flavorings that Bula Kava House might have, but I would like to avoid spending $2000/yr on kava. Is there any method that anyone would be able to post? Thanks in advance.
You can find the thread where I made a coconut oil extract (really an ethanol extract that I then removed the alcohol from) that I did mostly for fun. However, it will not come anywhere near as potent as a co2 extract. While I have not tried BKH extract the stated amount of KL/g is pretty freaking strong. It also won't be cost effective in the long run. Maybe you should try a mix of traditional prep just short of what gets you nauseous, and add a pit of paste in-between shells to get you to where you need to be.

Winning Shenanigans

Kava Curious
At the risk of sounding like a scold: Be careful. These are highly concentrated extracts we are talking about. If you take too much of any extract product you could have adverse side effects or interactions with your meds. More than a dozen Gaia capsules seems excessive. Based on my experience with them, not something I would recommend. Maybe just accept the fact that kava is less effective for you as a result of the meds and don't overdo it...
Personally 30-40 of the Gaia capsules is my average dose.... Have ventured into the 50-60 range but that has never failed to make me vomit. I find with 30-40 the effects last 2 days as well. I am not your average Kava taker just so everyone knows I always do a dose pretty high so take what I am saying with a grain of salt.