What's new

Micro v. Medium ; Lets discuss!

Micronized vs medium?

• Total voters

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
Hey guys, I'm a huge micronized fan and haven't had too much experience in the medium grind area. So, my questions are as follows:

1. Which do you prefer & why?

2. What is the difference in effects as well as potency?

My two reasons for liking micro are:
1. I like the strong(er?) effects micronized seems to provide
2. Not having to drink and taste it

I'm thinking about switching based on the larger variety of kavas you get with medium grind but it's hard for me to get past the taste and the thought that medium grind won't hit me as hard as micronized. So convince me either way, let's have some good discussion!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hey guys, I'm a huge micronized fan and haven't had too much experience in the medium grind area. So, my questions are as follows:

I'm thinking about switching based on the larger variety of kavas you get with medium grind but it's hard for me to get past the taste and the thought that medium grind won't hit me as hard as micronized. So convince me either way, let's have some good discussion!
Medium is better and half the price with all the choices in the chemotype rainbow. You can make medium grind stronger, say using 50g with less water and get the same effects. Micro causes more intestinal problems and you're more likely to develop Dermo. Hard to go wrong with medium.

If you like the convenience, get an alubottle.

ThatDankK

Medium is better and half the price with all the choices in the chemotype rainbow. You can make medium grind stronger, say using 50g with less water and get the same effects. Micro causes more intestinal problems and you're more likely to develop Dermo. Hard to go wrong with medium.

I have an iron clad stomach and haven't had any problems with dermo luckily, I know some do.

So when I do micronized, I toss n wash 2tbs usually once mid day and once in the evening, what would you say would be a good comparative dosage? Like ___tbs of medium grind kneaded for 10mins is roughly equivalent to 2tbs micro toss n washed? (Right now I have some kwk pouni ono and borongoru micro)
Edit: I no longer have a scale))

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I have an iron clad stomach and haven't had any problems with dermo luckily, I know some do.

So when I do micronized, I toss n wash 2tbs usually once mid day and once in the evening, what would you say would be a good comparative dosage? Like ___tbs of medium grind kneaded for 10mins is roughly equivalent to 2tbs micro toss n washed? (Right now I have some kwk pouni ono and borongoru micro)
Edit: I no longer have a scale))
I would suggest starting at 4 tbsp of medium with about 400 ml of water, adjust either based on your needs.

Yogini

Well... there ya have it.

I use micro for ease if I'm feeling completely lazy. I am going to do the blender for medium grind this evening because I'm feeling a bit lazy but want to do parts of traditional prep. I've used the aluball. I am just breaking through RT. That said, I had the pressed Pacific Root last night and that felt great but it's also a special occasion thing. I like gentler experiences right now. I like them both. I'm sure I will get to a place where I prefer one over the other. I don't get nauseated drinking either. I also haven't had dermo but I'm upping my internal oil intake and I hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I guess when I blend and squeeze tonight I'll find out what that's like. This is a heavier kava andcim used to balanced so I'll err on the side of caution. Currently use 3 TBS of micro. 4-5 TBS medium grind. Medium is far more cost effective.

Yogini

Ok, I can say that this evening, medium grind wins. I did the blend and strain and the aluball. The aluball was just as strong as the blend and strain. Very nice kava.

ThatDankK

What micronized do you use? And yes hydration is very important, I drink water all day. I also do mine with milk and eat something fatty afterwards with alot of pepper on it; both of which seem to help. I have no reverse tolerance either so that's a plus. What kind of medium grind do you use?

Last edited:

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I much prefer med grind - I like the taste and ritual around kava drinking so don't want to take it like a quick medicine. You can make med grind any strength you like - from as strong as a micronized, down to Fiji strength for daytime drinking or a looong night session.
I do have a kilo of Fivestar micro in reserve, but only use it rarely, either when I have no time to make med grind, or to "top off" the effects if I only have low quality kava in stock.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast

I think I saw Kavafied themselves, or someone for sure, advocating running micronised through an aluball. That may reduce the associated potential stomach difficulties.

I have never tried the micronized form myself yet but this this thread makes me curious although I would want to avoid extra gastrointestinal discomfort.

Last edited:

ThatDankK

I think I saw Kavafied themselves, or someone for sure, advocating running micronised through an aluball. That may reduce the associated potential stomach difficulties.

I have never tried the micronized form myself yet but this this thread makes me curious although I would want to avoid extra gastrointestinal discomfort.
If you aren't ingesting the powder itself there shouldn't be any gastrointestinal discomfort, it's actually consuming the powder that causes it

ThatDankK

I much prefer med grind - I like the taste and ritual around kava drinking so don't want to take it like a quick medicine. You can make med grind any strength you like - from as strong as a micronized, down to Fiji strength for daytime drinking or a looong night session.
I do have a kilo of Fivestar micro in reserve, but only use it rarely, either when I have no time to make med grind, or to "top off" the effects if I only have low quality kava in stock.
What would be the rough equivalent tbs of your med grind compared to 2tbs of micro?

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
What would be the rough equivalent tbs of your med grind compared to 2tbs of micro?
I'm not sure as I never measure anything out in units (just use the "tide mark" levels for kava & water on my blender) but I would guess I use about 1/4 the amount of micro than I would use med grind for similar effects? The one time recently I did use micro on its own I had about 8 shells with about 1tsp per 150ml shell

Yogini

What micronized do you use? And yes hydration is very important, I drink water all day. I also do mine with milk and eat something fatty afterwards with alot of pepper on it; both of which seem to help. I have no reverse tolerance either so that's a plus. What kind of medium grind do you use?
Current micronized is Loa Waka and Pouni Ono. Current medium grind is Kavafied Kava Supreme (this is very heady for me and I received no sedative effects at all). I also have the fresh pressed Pacific Root and some Wakacon Waka. I'm adding as I try. I like to know how chemo types work for me before I have too much and don't know the experience.

ThatDankK

I'm not sure as I never measure anything out in units (just use the "tide mark" levels for kava & water on my blender) but I would guess I use about 1/4 the amount of micro than I would use med grind for similar effects? The one time recently I did use micro on its own I had about 8 shells with about 1tsp per 150ml shell
So you used 2 tbs and 2 tsp total

ThatDankK

Current micronized is Loa Waka and Pouni Ono. Current medium grind is Kavafied Kava Supreme (this is very heady for me and I received no sedative effects at all). I also have the fresh pressed Pacific Root and some Wakacon Waka. I'm adding as I try. I like to know how chemo types work for me before I have too much and don't know the experience.
Still thinking medium is better effect-wise like you did the first night? Do you notice any difference in the duration of what you feel afterwards? Also, perhaps try doing __tbs in the morning or mid afternoon of micro and __tbs medium in the evening and report back with the numbers, I don't have any medium for now so you're kind of my trial and error guy haha

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
A few yrs ago, Mike, the owner of Kalm with Kava, told me that the effects of micro are much more short-lived than medium grind and I have to say that I agree,

ThatDankK

A few yrs ago, Mike, the owner of Kalm with Kava, told me that the effects of micro are much more short-lived than medium grind and I have to say that I agree,
Really? How much shorter lived would you say?