What's new

Microbiome?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
We were talking about this on the zoom chat last night.

There isn't, and there needs to be.
There is a little bit in Angelique Showman's Chemical and Microbial Ecology of ‘Awa, Piper methysticum (G. Forst)
but is mostly relates to soil microbiome.

PapaCthulu

Kava Lover
Has anyone come across any information relating to Kava and the gut microbiome?
I sent stool samples off around 3 months ago for a culture analysis. I use between 1 and two pounds of dry kava per month. Everything appeared to be at reasonable levels except for one or two yeast based bacterias that operate on sugar as I do not add or consume any added sugar in my diet. They were slightly lower than normal.

I have a hunch it may serve as a resistant starch for the gut microbiome. But, will be interested in future research.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
If someone works in the stool lab one could make kava kava agar. Will not be as easy as tomato juice agar because you need to sterilize it or make an alcohol extraction and to use that extract.

1. Sterilization by boiling might create slime and create skin on liquid -- I suspect it.
2. Sterilization with sub micron syringe filter - good luck.
3. Use alcohol extraction and resolve it in water and use syringe filter because it might still have some fungy or spores that justDontDie abd add it to the liquid media before solifification.

Compare with growth on simple agar and, say, potato agar. Maybe it gives sone in vitro information before starting any expensive stool metagenomic study ;)

I used to work in mefical microbiology research lab for 15 years, feel free to ask.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Ferreira et al. (2022) on kava extracts:
"The samples showed no significant antibacterial activity, however slight antifungal activity was verified."