What's new

Powdered Kava Review Mighty Tongan

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Full disclosure: Henry sent me this product in exchange for this review.

First, a bit of the backstory on this product. I believe this is the kava that @Henry said the farmer initially didn't want to sell him because it was "too strong." I suggested he market it with a skull and crossbones on it and maybe a giant comical warning label saying "not intended for westerners or wussies," but no dice.

Now, with that being said, this is the first kava I've ever had advertised as a tongan waka. While waka is the most common export from Fiji (or at least most kava from Fiji is labelled waka) and there's a fair amount from Vanuatu as well, I haven't seen a tongan waka yet. Tongans are some of my favorite kavas, most of them seem to impart a sort of heady buzz that other kavas do not have, or as His Grace Prince Philip once described it, a good Tongan "tongs" you.

This one is a bit of a creeper. It took maybe 15-20 minutes for it to settle in, but once it did, it had all the hallmark characteristics of a good Tongan kava. The smooth heady effects without being overly stimulating as some Hawaiians can be. Combine this with mild body relaxation and you've been "tong'd." But what's more remarkable is that I got this effect from only 4 tablespoons -- as those of you who are familiar with my kava consumption habits know this is the mark of a nice and potent kava, and a pretty good sign that this is indeed waka. Overall, this product is a welcome entry into the limited market of Tongan kava.