What's new

milk mix

nickkava

Hi, new to this and apologies if this has been brought up lots before-just after a quick answer..does any experienced kava user recommend mixing a bit of full fat milk into the mix since the kava reacts to the fats in the solution to make stronger..or is it a waste of time? Youtube states it is up to 5 times stronger..which i find a bit hard to believe

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
It depends, I've been drinking Kava all year and have healthy fats in my diet like fish, nuts, and butter, it can be hard to notice. Decide each time how you feel and whether you would like to have food or fatty food with, before, or after your tea. Enjoy those times where you have Kava by itself, and enjoy your food pairings with it. Milk and almond milk (or other nut milks) can help you absorb kavalactones, I like the taste, and they are stomach soothing for me. They are also hydrating.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I will go make two shells with 1 tablespoon of Kava each and some milk in one, I'll drink them both and tell you if I taste a difference! I will be back.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Bula! I made two shells, one at a time, began with cleaning my strainer and heating 500ml water to 120*F.

First shell: 2 level tablespoons Hawaiian Kava, 250ml water, squeezed 5 minutes. Chugged in coconut cup. Delicious, light, woody, refreshing, numbing on tongue.
Second shell: 2 level tablespoons Hawaiian Kava, 200ml water, 50ml milk, squeezed 5 minutes. Chugged in coconut cup. Lighter color, smooth taste, numbing for tongue, seemed possibly stronger than the first shell. I could taste the Kava less, but it appears that it made a slightly stronger shell!

I've got a thick pot of freezer roots and water heating up on the stove to make Kava for the next few days. Thank you for this enjoyable and tasty experiment, I hope my results have given you a better perspective. Adding milk to Kava during brewing may have produced a shell with more kavalactones or speedier absorption of Kavalactones within my loving self.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
I believe, from my own anecdotal experience as well as others here, that a little fat helps speed the absorption of kavalactones by your body. Especially the "heavy" KLs. I enjoyed two shells of Mo'i this evening and followed up with some roasted butternut squash seeds with olive oil (we ate the squash itself for dinner later), and the squash seeds aided in a wave of muscle relaxation that drinking the Mo'i on its own doesn't usually have as much of. It was quite nice. Perhaps I've been underrating balanced kavas in my quest for headiness :)

Edit: also, welcome @nickkava!

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
My Hiwa from GHK is described to me as a "Heavy" Kava, though I tend not to discern. Nickkava, thank you for the suggestion, I enjoyed the two shells in honor of you, milk in the latter, it's been a good time since then. Have a good night!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@nickkava I am a big fan of mixing with milk but it doesn't have to be full fat. I use semi but skimmed works too. It's to do with an enzyme in it. Before I drank with milk I would drink milk the morning after kava and get a massive kava uplift. So now I just drink with milk. Other people have said it works too.