What's new

Powdered Kava Review Mo’i Medium Grind

Ricardo Piquant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
All jmho, fwiw, your results will certainly vary. .. Yada yada.

My experience seems to be quite different than others, so take it with a grain of salt. Taste is exceptional. Very pleasant and easy drinking. Based on other reviews I was expecting more of a potent heady monster. While I did find there were some mild heady effects, strangely I found this to be mild, sedative and unclear. Made me want to do nothing but take a nap! Definite anxiolytic effect too. Potency I found to be lower on the scale. Very mild. In summary, I appreciate it but I wouldn't order again. Not really "doing it" for me. Everyone else seems to love it tho so it's probably just me!

violet

Do all things with love
@Ricardo Piquant Have you tried this again using a smaller amount of kava? You may have overshot the sweet spot and overdid it, which could cause the sedative effects you describe. It's something I have done myself a few times with Mo'i. Most kavas will induce sleep if you consume enough.

You might want to try smaller doses and see if the subtleties of the heady quality make themselves better known to you. Sometimes one can go through an entire pound or two of a variety before hearing what it can offer.

Ricardo Piquant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
@Ricardo Piquant Have you tried this again using a smaller amount of kava? You may have overshot the sweet spot and overdid it, which could cause the sedative effects you describe. It's something I have done myself a few times with Mo'i. Most kavas will induce sleep if you consume enough.

You might want to try smaller doses and see if the subtleties of the heady quality make themselves better known to you. Sometimes one can go through an entire pound or two of a variety before hearing what it can offer.
I've tried it several times now, with various prep methods and dosages. I've got a whole pound and will certainly drink it, but I still wouldn't order again. I've also got the panaewa which I have not yet tried, but looking forward to.

It just seems that my experience is so different from what others have described, I almost wondered if it was really moi. At least it tastes great!

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I've tried it several times now, with various prep methods and dosages. I've got a whole pound and will certainly drink it, but I still wouldn't order again. I've also got the panaewa which I have not yet tried, but looking forward to.

It just seems that my experience is so different from what others have described, I almost wondered if it was really moi. At least it tastes great!
Man, I have a little bit of 2 year old Moi left (which I recently re-aquired, unopened). It really seems different than the current batch. I've almost got ear-ringing from 2 tbs of the old stuff. The taste is better too; that the smell of the powder has a peppery punch to it that is more subdued in the current batch. And no drowsiness. And just so euphoric. And I only had 2 tbs, one wash, trad prepped.
N.B. The current batch is also good, just different. Kinda makes me drowsy like I took a benedryl, but still potent. But I sure wish I could get more of this old stuff; maybe future harvests will be more like this???
I also noticed that when kneading, it didn't feel as "oily" or slimy (no negative connotation intended) as the current batch. I wonder if the older plants were producing a different proportion of lateral roots vs. corm?

Last edited: