What's new

mo'i

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
yeah, I read the description for that and it sounds really good. I'm trying another Hawaiian Kava Center tonight - Nene, it's called - and I've already opened it and am cherishing the smells. These guys look like they might have one up on Nakamal @ Home.

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
got it today, can't wait to make it. Not sure if I can do a chatroom today.

What I hope: replace Stone in terms of taste and mind effect. I will be very disappointed if its like the only other Hawaiian kava I tried from kona farms.

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
well, I don't like to rate new kava till I had it a few times, but so far this is a few notches below Solomon for effects. Taste and texture wise it's really different, in a good way, it is tasty. I'll probably order more Solomon just in case this doesn't cut it. I didn't follow their website instructions, 1 cup water to 1 Tbs root, really now? I used 1 cup root to 3 cups water and the second wash 2 cups water, drank every 10-15 mins.

It's a contender, I still have my hopes.

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
2nd night... tastes great, but still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of effects. What am I doing wrong?

Islandtime

Kava Curious
Got mine today, ready to try it tonight. Maybe add a bit more kava to water ratio, Hawaiian kavas do have a different feel to them.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I got mine yesterday but haven't tried it yet. I'll make some tonight and feel it out for you. Different Kavas need to be treated differently.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Interesting. I actually had to change course and make some Kule's Kava PNG Kava tonight, but I'll try the Mo'i tomorrow.

Islandtime

Kava Curious
I must say after having 5 or so shells of this kava, I am completly amazed. It its hands down the best kava I've ever had. and Ive had all of nakamals, plus a few other places. I know all kavas act differently on different people, but man this stuff is blowing my mind. Way better than solomon, just in a whole different world. The taste is awsome to, Ive never liked a kavas taste this much before. Now I am about 2 hours in so maybe Im a little excited but I feel like this is almost too much. I used the same method I do with other kavas 1 cup root 3 cups water then make a second strain with 2 cups water. Then I drank the second strain first so "get ready for the strong batch." If hiwa is anything like Mo'i I really wanna try it. Again this is just how it hit me.

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
I really enjoy the taste too. It's almost dessert like. The effects were stronger than Solomon for you, hmmm, my prep or setting must be not be jiving with this kava. Did you soak it and/or put it in a blender? Add soy/oil?

Islandtime

Kava Curious
Well I soak the first batch 30 mins. I do add a splash of milk to but not much, and just squeeze/strain really well. The second batch I leave in the fridge over night then strain it. I dont add soy or oil, but I will say setting might be a factor I walked out onto my porch and just gazed at trees for an hour. Outdoors seems really cool on this kava, although I think all kavas are better outside. It has a feel thats completly different from and other kava for me.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
islandtime said:
I must say after having 5 or so shells of this kava, I am completly amazed. It its hands down the best kava I've ever had. and Ive had all of nakamals, plus a few other places. I know all kavas act differently on different people, but man this stuff is blowing my mind. Way better than solomon, just in a whole different world. The taste is awsome to, Ive never liked a kavas taste this much before. Now I am about 2 hours in so maybe Im a little excited but I feel like this is almost too much. I used the same method I do with other kavas 1 cup root 3 cups water then make a second strain with 2 cups water. Then I drank the second strain first so "get ready for the strong batch." If hiwa is anything like Mo'i I really wanna try it. Again this is just how it hit me.
Sounds amazing. I think Hawaiian Kava Center might be the next big thing. Competition is good, eh? I really really liked the Hiwa. I felt so-so about the Papa'ele'ele (yet to review it, I drank it while at a hotel when I was on the road). Reading the description of this Mo'i on the website and then this review just makes me very excited for it. One thing about good Hawaiian Kavas: it is good to drink more than you normally would. If I'm drinking a potent PNG Kava I try to limit myself to 2 or 3 shells, but a good Hawaiian I can go 5 or 6 shells without feeling sick and just feeling better. I made enough Kule PNG to krunk again tonight, so I'll brew up the Mo'i Monday or Tuesday night.

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
mo'i + Solomon is great! I made separate batches, one regular size batch of mo'i (1 cup root/3 cups water) and a smaller one of Solomon (1/2 cup root, 2 cups water). Drink the mo'i first till gone or close to gone (every 10 mins) then move on to solomon then to the second wash of mo'i and solomon. Chase each shell with lemonade or white grapefruit juice.

It might seem like a lot of shells, but both are tasty.

I tried this with solomon and stone, not as enjoyable.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
This is really very good. I'm a little too tired and happy right now to write up a full review for Kavasseur, but this is just great.

Hard to compare this to Solomon, but I find it interesting that they work together. I'm yet to try and mix Kavas, unless I mix an instant in a full brewed.

Different Kavas are like completely different medicines. I would never think to compare a Kava that feels like this to a Kava that feels like Solomon. Solomon is bright, heady, and powerful. This is more like a calming medicine.

As a side note, I really love the color, taste, and texture. This one is going to get a 10 on flavor

kl.rcoz

Kava Enthusiast
just to clarify, I don't mix them together, I treat them as separate batches consumed on the same night.