What's new

Most sessions not enjoyable - anyone else have the same experience?

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all,

Curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I’ve been drinking kava for about 3 months now and drink 3-4 times a week. I’ve noticed that most of the time I drink, I feel nothing even if it’s on an empty stomach.

Another large percentage of time, I’ll feel no positive effects, but will have a “hangover” several hours later and even lasting into the next day where I feel nauseous and/or just out of it and not myself. I make sure to drink lots of water all the time so I don’t think it’s dehydration.

Then a small percentage of the time, I feel the very positive effects that I see many of you discussing so often. And it’s only because of these very few positive sessions that I keep drinking to see if I can get those positive sessions more consistently.

Since I’ve had a few very positive experiences, I don’t think this is reverse tolerance anymore. So I’m wondering if there are some people who just don’t have the same positive reaction to kava as much of the time as other people who have consistently positive experiences?

My prep method is usually the aluball and shaker. I’ve also experimented and added nut milks and whole milk.

Ive noticed that KWK borogu is the kava that is most consistent for me as far as feeling something positive. I have also tried Tongan family reserve, and about 4 other KWK varieties, as well as the ozia stress candies but none of these seem to have any consistent or predictable result for me yet.

Look forward to any feedback anyone may have.

Thanks!

BobBriggs

Kava Curious
I would try the blender method or traditional preparation. You might also try using hot water or even bringing the kava to the boil first. This increases potency for me.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
I would try the blender method or traditional preparation. You might also try using hot water or even bringing the kava to the boil first. This increases potency for me.
Thanks. I tried the blender method followed up by straining with fresh frozen root of happiness kava and did not feel any effects. I still have some more frozen kava so it’s on my list to try again. I haven’t tried hot water or boiling it yet, I’ll look into that. Thanks for the feedback.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
How many tablespoons or grams are you taking?
When I first started, I was doing 2 tbsp in an aluball for 2 washes. More recently I’ve added a second aluball with 2 tbsp, so in one wash I’m doing 4 tbsp, and then using the same kava for a second wash.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
When I first started, I was doing 2 tbsp in an aluball for 2 washes. More recently I’ve added a second aluball with 2 tbsp, so in one wash I’m doing 4 tbsp, and then using the same kava for a second wash.
Hi. I am OCD and operate routinely in grams. I find there can be a sort of strange middle ground to break through with Kava, in relation to dosage.

For example, two Aluballs, say 27 grams of kava, two washes, and I can feel a bit in no man's land at times.

Then I drink more, like last night, 49 grams total and the all round effect was wonderful.

They used to say, hippies in the old days, in relation to lsd, "an underdose is worse than an overdose."

I think this principle can be applied to kava to an extent. Maybe you could try increasing your overall dodage? If you are only using 30 grams maximum, it might take 35 to 50 grams to access that lovely kava headspace and effects.

Halibut_Acid

Krunkadelic
I went through a period like this. It took a long time for me to not get the negative effects. Not sure why I kept at it but I did. For a long time I would only drink on occasion with the awareness that I'd feel pretty bad the next day. Now I drink it all the time and it's always great. I think it was some sort of healing process.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
I went through a period like this. It took a long time for me to not get the negative effects. Not sure why I kept at it but I did. For a long time I would only drink on occasion with the awareness that I'd feel pretty bad the next day. Now I drink it all the time and it's always great. I think it was some sort of healing process.
That’s interesting. Glad to hear you got past that phase. The few good times have been really enjoyable so that’s why I’m sticking to it for now. Do you find that all kavas give you positive results now, or only some specific types?

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Hi. I am OCD and operate routinely in grams. I find there can be a sort of strange middle ground to break through with Kava, in relation to dosage.

For example, two Aluballs, say 27 grams of kava, two washes, and I can feel a bit in no man's land at times.

Then I drink more, like last night, 49 grams total and the all round effect was wonderful.

They used to say, hippies in the old days, in relation to lsd, "an underdose is worse than an overdose."

I think this principle can be applied to kava to an extent. Maybe you could try increasing your overall dodage? If you are only using 30 grams maximum, it might take 35 to 50 grams to access that lovely kava headspace and effects.
Thanks. My main concern is that sometimes I feel pretty terrible with my current consumption amount, so the idea of close to doubling that seems a bit daunting since I assume I may feel double as bad...but who knows, could be worth an experiment and in the worst case I’ll just feel crappy for a day. Thanks for the input.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Thanks. My main concern is that sometimes I feel pretty terrible with my current consumption amount, so the idea of close to doubling that seems a bit daunting since I assume I may feel double as bad...but who knows, could be worth an experiment and in the worst case I’ll just feel crappy for a day. Thanks for the input.
I drink kava after work, on night shifts. So 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. I find that when I start drinking I feel lethargic and unmotivated the next day for a few days, and I dry out pretty bad, but by the end of the 2 weeks I wake up feeling pretty good with very little side effects. I feel like as you build up kavalactones your body adjusts and gets used to it, at least for me. The positive effects pretty much stay the same. It also works best for me to only drink kava when I get home and before bed. When I try to drink it after waking or during the day, it makes me depressed.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
I drink kava after work, on night shifts. So 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. I find that when I start drinking I feel lethargic and unmotivated the next day for a few days, and I dry out pretty bad, but by the end of the 2 weeks I wake up feeling pretty good with very little side effects. I feel like as you build up kavalactones your body adjusts and gets used to it, at least for me. The positive effects pretty much stay the same. It also works best for me to only drink kava when I get home and before bed. When I try to drink it after waking or during the day, it makes me depressed.
Thanks. I guess everyone is different and just has to figure out what works best for them. I’m going to keep experimenting and hopefully will get more consistent results.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Also, I usually use 4 tablespoons in a strainer bag with around 24 ounces of water and drink that. If I want more, then top up with 2 more tablespoons with the previously used 4 tablespoons for a second wash. I find that actually kneading the kava is relaxing by itself, especially when watching tv.