What's new

Most sessions not enjoyable - anyone else have the same experience?

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Another update. I got my new shipment of KWK borogu in today and I think I may just be a one trick pony - KWK borogu seems to be the only kava that gives me an all round pleasant experience. I did traditional prep with 3 tbs, and the first wash was about 16oz of water, and the 2nd wash was about 8oz. I then decided to get crazy and had .5 lb of frozen fresh (kava) in a blender - 2 washes. I was feeling good after that. Then I had another 2 tbsp borogu with 2 washes, and now I’m having 2 tbsp of boronguru (2 washes). This is a LOT of kava for me, and admittedly I am having a bit of nausea, but the pleasant feelings are outweighing the negatives. I’ve also been drinking tea while drinking the kava to stay hydrated. Let’s hope tomorrow morning/day isn’t too bad! I’ll report back if anyone is curious. Thanks again for all the feedback and guidance.

Curious - is it common for some people to only react well to certain Kavas?

BobBriggs

Kava Curious
That's interesting. I have drunk a lot of sub-standard kava and I have noticed that the negative effects are usually there, even if the positive ones are fleeting. In particular, you can easily get a hangover from trying to drink a lot of a weak batch of kava, when you're trying to get something good out of it. But my understanding is that the kava you have is a good one.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Another update. I got my new shipment of KWK borogu in today and I think I may just be a one trick pony - KWK borogu seems to be the only kava that gives me an all round pleasant experience. I did traditional prep with 3 tbs, and the first wash was about 16oz of water, and the 2nd wash was about 8oz. I then decided to get crazy and had .5 lb of frozen fresh (kava) in a blender - 2 washes. I was feeling good after that. Then I had another 2 tbsp borogu with 2 washes, and now I’m having 2 tbsp of boronguru (2 washes). This is a LOT of kava for me, and admittedly I am having a bit of nausea, but the pleasant feelings are outweighing the negatives. I’ve also been drinking tea while drinking the kava to stay hydrated. Let’s hope tomorrow morning/day isn’t too bad! I’ll report back if anyone is curious. Thanks again for all the feedback and guidance.

If I can say one thing from my own experience, after first many decades prior of different MJ "Stains", finally coming to kava, I feel it can take a lot more shopping around all different cultivars to see what works best for you.

Much more so than with, say, any old cannabis strain, indica, sativa blah blah.

Certain kavas I really have not enjoyed, others I really love.

Just give it a fair go I say-try the field.

Jacob Bula

Nobody

Tea can add to dehydration because caffeine is a diuretic. Try getting some electrolytes and water if you are going to go hard in kava for the day :)

BoomKanani808

WatGetFoDinnah!!!
I try to avoid any caffeine prior to a session, for me it doesn't give me the full effect. Empty stomach at least 5 hours, water is fine. Personally i have kavas that work and dont quite work the way i envision it to be. For me any fiji waka and hawaiian 'awa strains all work. Also try calm music, like some hawaiian music. I know if theres some rap or heavy metal playing it messes with my kava chill vibe.

BoomKanani808

WatGetFoDinnah!!!
And being outdoors enjoying kava really helps to be in a positive state of mind. And try some candy ginger or dried ginger, just a little goes a long way.

Last edited:

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Tea can add to dehydration because caffeine is a diuretic. Try getting some electrolytes and water if you are going to go hard in kava for the day :)
Noted, thanks! I felt TERRIBLE the next day - on par or worse than some of the worst alcohol hangovers I’ve had. I think I overdid it with that much kava, so I may need to slow it down next time.

David H.

Kava Curious
I initially felt almost nothing from kava. Things that helped me:

- Spacing my doses. I used to try and drink all my kava in a 30 minute time span. I figured that, similar to most other substances, more kava in less time should = better effects. Oddly, this isn’t the case with kava. Many others have reported that spacing their shells 10-15 minutes at least increased effects tremendously.

- My Kava threshold is high. I see many people only need 4-8 tbsp to get blasted. I need 12-14. Granted, I am a big guy (6 ft 8, 220 lbs).

- Fully empty stomach. At least 4 hours since my last meal.

- Music. I find certain types of music can make the kava hit faster and harder. Trance music in particular has this effect for me.

- Once I get to the end of the night, I always eat a fatty meal as the finale. The fatty food causes a massive increase in the Kava’s effects for me.