What's new

Most sessions not enjoyable - anyone else have the same experience?

Halibut_Acid

Krunkadelic
That’s interesting. Glad to hear you got past that phase. The few good times have been really enjoyable so that’s why I’m sticking to it for now. Do you find that all kavas give you positive results now, or only some specific types?
I still have to choose the right kava. And I mean sometimes it doesn't hit me quite as nicely as I'd like but I no longer get hangovers or unbearably bad effects.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks. My main concern is that sometimes I feel pretty terrible with my current consumption amount, so the idea of close to doubling that seems a bit daunting since I assume I may feel double as bad...but who knows, could be worth an experiment and in the worst case I’ll just feel crappy for a day. Thanks for the input.
Hey mate, happy to try and help always.

While it is fresh, I really wanted to report on my interesting and very telling experience I have had this evening with kava.

I started with a double Aluball, 26 grams total, OFA's Tongan kava.

It is nice kava actually. Quite strong. But very heady. Anyway, 26 grams down- I really wasn't enjoying the effects. I felt quite off in fact, restless, unsettled.

A number of kava drinkers have some troublemwith purely heady strains not agreeing with them essentially. They pefer certain heavy kavas.

So tonight, I decided, let me test out this little experiment on my own.

I prepped 25 grams more of a lovely heavy Fijian Kadavu.

After this lovely heavy Kadavu, quite sort of hypnotic- 51 grams total. I was almost fully unaware of feeling uncomfortable, restless, disatisfied or negative. The beautiful, blissful, higher consciousness to me, was at the forefront.

I was feeling good, comfortable and relaxed.

Maybe I need to START with the Heavy Fijian, then a heady one maybe.

But I was actually thinking of your thread and inquiry here, to try and mote objectively test out this principle, of the sort of no-man's land to push though at times.

26 grams of the very heady Tongan had me feeling not right.

Add in 25 grams Fijian Kadavu, and I have had a really wonderful night and sense of wellbeing.

So I really think possibly you may be underdosing to reach this place?

I don't mean to patronize. The right kava, right order, right time.

Have you tried the Fijian Kadavu? Mine tonight was from an open Kavadepot bag. Lovely kava.

But soon I will open a big bag of Kadavu from the fantastic newish here, @Artofkava , both really lovely guy to engage with, super top delibery service IME, and highestcquality kavas too.

Last comment again- if nothing else, apart from upping dose a good bit to crack through the threshold, from Kava's no man land, maybe keep trying different kavas.

I drank daily for the last year, I have a good variety of mixed cultivars here.

But I'm still not sure which I like best lol! Although, I am drawn to some moreso. Others not at all.

Anyway, that was the result of my fairly, objectively conducted experment tonight. Having cottoned onto this phenomena already, it was like a rerun @Cuzzie and literally transported me quickly from the restlesx, double aluball 26 gram Heady tongan feeling, to that beautiful kava bliss and total relaxation, sense of wellbeing.

Interesting phenomena to me. Most psychoactive "items" lol, seemed the best word, don't work this way, except psychedellics can of course, by underdosing.

But most psychoactive items do not have a reverse tolerance factor for any.

I really hope to get to the bottom of this phenomena of a certain dosage theshold, to go from unease to bliss.

Please keep us updated on your ongoing experience and thanksva lot for been doing that already.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
You really should be using a strainer bag. You'll be able to use more root, can use hot tap water to extract more kavalactones, and can squeeze out any of the resins/oils that are in the powder. It's the best way to make kava, and really not difficult.
I’ve tried a strainer bag a couple times with frozen kava, but never with dry medium grind. I will try it at some point. Thank you.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Hey mate, happy to try and help always.

While it is fresh, I really wanted to report on my interesting and very telling experience I have had this evening with kava.

I started with a double Aluball, 26 grams total, OFA's Tongan kava.

It is nice kava actually. Quite strong. But very heady. Anyway, 26 grams down- I really wasn't enjoying the effects. I felt quite off in fact, restless, unsettled.

A number of kava drinkers have some troublemwith purely heady strains not agreeing with them essentially. They pefer certain heavy kavas.

So tonight, I decided, let me test out this little experiment on my own.

I prepped 25 grams more of a lovely heavy Fijian Kadavu.

After this lovely heavy Kadavu, quite sort of hypnotic- 51 grams total. I was almost fully unaware of feeling uncomfortable, restless, disatisfied or negative. The beautiful, blissful, higher consciousness to me, was at the forefront.

I was feeling good, comfortable and relaxed.

Maybe I need to START with the Heavy Fijian, then a heady one maybe.

But I was actually thinking of your thread and inquiry here, to try and mote objectively test out this principle, of the sort of no-man's land to push though at times.

26 grams of the very heady Tongan had me feeling not right.

Add in 25 grams Fijian Kadavu, and I have had a really wonderful night and sense of wellbeing.

So I really think possibly you may be underdosing to reach this place?

I don't mean to patronize. The right kava, right order, right time.

Have you tried the Fijian Kadavu? Mine tonight was from an open Kavadepot bag. Lovely kava.

But soon I will open a big bag of Kadavu from the fantastic newish here, @Artofkava , both really lovely guy to engage with, super top delibery service IME, and highestcquality kavas too.

Last comment again- if nothing else, apart from upping dose a good bit to crack through the threshold, from Kava's no man land, maybe keep trying different kavas.

I drank daily for the last year, I have a good variety of mixed cultivars here.

But I'm still not sure which I like best lol! Although, I am drawn to some moreso. Others not at all.

Anyway, that was the result of my fairly, objectively conducted experment tonight. Having cottoned onto this phenomena already, it was like a rerun @Cuzzie and literally transported me quickly from the restlesx, double aluball 26 gram Heady tongan feeling, to that beautiful kava bliss and total relaxation, sense of wellbeing.

Interesting phenomena to me. Most psychoactive "items" lol, seemed the best word, don't work this way, except psychedellics can of course, by underdosing.

But most psychoactive items do not have a reverse tolerance factor for any.

I really hope to get to the bottom of this phenomena of a certain dosage theshold, to go from unease to bliss.

Please keep us updated on your ongoing experience and thanksva lot for been doing that already.
Thanks for the detailed response, it’s interesting to hear feedback from someone who is more seasoned. I have not tried the kava you mentioned. It seems like there are so many, and everyone has a different opinion about what’s the best brand and strain, so it can be a bit overwhelming for a newbie. Tonight I had 2 washes with two tbsp each of the KWK Samoan. Then 2 washes with 2 tbsp each of KWK pouni ono, then another 2 washes with 2 tbsp each of the pouni ono again. I felt decent, but have been a bit nauseous as usual again, but it’s manageable. Maybe ending the night with some KWK boronguru would have helped with the nausea?

Anyway, I’m going to keep experimenting. May try straining the medium grind next, and may also try instant kava from ghk at some point.

Thanks again

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for the detailed response, it’s interesting to hear feedback from someone who is more seasoned. I have not tried the kava you mentioned. It seems like there are so many, and everyone has a different opinion about what’s the best brand and strain, so it can be a bit overwhelming for a newbie. Tonight I had 2 washes with two tbsp each of the KWK Samoan. Then 2 washes with 2 tbsp each of KWK pouni ono, then another 2 washes with 2 tbsp each of the pouni ono again. I felt decent, but have been a bit nauseous as usual again, but it’s manageable. Maybe ending the night with some KWK boronguru would have helped with the nausea?

Anyway, I’m going to keep experimenting. May try straining the medium grind next, and may also try instant kava from ghk at some point.

Thanks again
Good on you for experimenting. I t hink there is a sort of line to draw as well. Like once enough enough, and thian vary daily for me. Some days, 60 grams feels right.

Others, only 35 grams is required. What I also get very good return and effect from....tonight, several hours later my lovely kava effects were slightly plateaued.

I took 6 grams instant kava, Fire Island one. This always really restores the lovely kava mindset and comfort, plus euphoria for me.

Keep experimenting anyway. Doses, and yeah when I say about drawing a line, avoiding that nausea is the necessary marker I try and aim for personally.

I have found at times,,an early evening or late afternoon good drink, say 30 grams or 35. Chilling for a while. Then a fresh top up with some more fresh kava, that has worked very nicely for me in the past on occasion in terms of longevity and staying comfortably within that line at all times.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Good on you for experimenting. I t hink there is a sort of line to draw as well. Like once enough enough, and thian vary daily for me. Some days, 60 grams feels right.

Others, only 35 grams is required. What I also get very good return and effect from....tonight, several hours later my lovely kava effects were slightly plateaued.

I took 6 grams instant kava, Fire Island one. This always really restores the lovely kava mindset and comfort, plus euphoria for me.

Keep experimenting anyway. Doses, and yeah when I say about drawing a line, avoiding that nausea is the necessary marker I try and aim for personally.

I have found at times,,an early evening or late afternoon good drink, say 30 grams or 35. Chilling for a while. Then a fresh top up with some more fresh kava, that has worked very nicely for me in the past on occasion in terms of longevity and staying comfortably within that line at all times.
Thanks again. Just ordered some medium grind ghk nene - that’s a new one for me. Any thoughts about it?

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
I definitely feel you here. It took me weeks to be able to tolerate kava without being horribly nauseous afterwards. As it turns out, I don't tolerate more "heavy" kava well. This became clear as I stated venturing into lawenas with more of the "heady" effects. Also, I.started filtering better with an 80 micron nut milk bag and stopped using hot water. Additionally, if I have food in my stomach still when I start a session it makes me nauseous. All of these variables cause a bad experience for me (even still). Like many things in life, it was trial and error, but am now in a good place and can enjoy it rather reliably. Who knows, maybe my ongoing use will eventually loosen up the restrictions I place on my use and I will be able to tolerate other strains. I chalk it up to the fact that my lineage is not in the south pacific and not having drank it in my life, my microbiome was not accustomed to it.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
I definitely feel you here. It took me weeks to be able to tolerate kava without being horribly nauseous afterwards. As it turns out, I don't tolerate more "heavy" kava well. This became clear as I stated venturing into lawenas with more of the "heady" effects. Also, I.started filtering better with an 80 micron nut milk bag and stopped using hot water. Additionally, if I have food in my stomach still when I start a session it makes me nauseous. All of these variables cause a bad experience for me (even still). Like many things in life, it was trial and error, but am now in a good place and can enjoy it rather reliably. Who knows, maybe my ongoing use will eventually loosen up the restrictions I place on my use and I will be able to tolerate other strains. I chalk it up to the fact that my lineage is not in the south pacific and not having drank it in my life, my microbiome was not accustomed to it.
Thanks for the feedback and the tips, and I’m glad you figured out what’s best for you! My current theory is that I’m more tolerant of balanced kava and less so with heavy or heady. The best times I’ve had so far have been with KWK borogu, but I’ve been curious to try other types of kavas so that’s why I’ve ventured into heady and heavy ones too. Incidentally, tonight I thought I’d try a heady one, so I had 2 tbsp of KWK pouni ono in the aluball and shaker with 2 washes on a totally empty stomach. Felt ok for a few minutes but then had the same nauseous feeling again about 15 mins in. So I’ll keep experimenting and maybe I’ll just have to stick with borogu for a while, which would be fine if I feel good consistently while drinking it. Thanks again and good luck as you try some of the other strains that didn’t sit well with you originally.

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback and the tips, and I’m glad you figured out what’s best for you! My current theory is that I’m more tolerant of balanced kava and less so with heavy or heady. The best times I’ve had so far have been with KWK borogu, but I’ve been curious to try other types of kavas so that’s why I’ve ventured into heady and heavy ones too. Incidentally, tonight I thought I’d try a heady one, so I had 2 tbsp of KWK pouni ono in the aluball and shaker with 2 washes on a totally empty stomach. Felt ok for a few minutes but then had the same nauseous feeling again about 15 mins in. So I’ll keep experimenting and maybe I’ll just have to stick with borogu for a while, which would be fine if I feel good consistently while drinking it. Thanks again and good luck as you try some of the other strains that didn’t sit well with you originally.
No problem! It sounds like you're on the same journey that I was and are taking similar variables into account. Best of luck, hopefully you get past this phase soon! PS I noticed that you mentioned that you made two tbsp and started feeling sick 15 mins in.'I've noticed that I too will get nauseous if I don't space out my servingd enough. As you may know, kava is traditionally drank in ~4 fl.oz shells, spaced out. I've personally found that if I drink over 8floz within 15 minutes I still get nauseous pretty much every time. If you are taking the full 2tbsp in the 15 minute time span, try spacing out half of it at least 15 minutes after the first half. That spacing might help you out if you aren't already taking it that way.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
No problem! It sounds like you're on the same journey that I was and are taking similar variables into account. Best of luck, hopefully you get past this phase soon! PS I noticed that you mentioned that you made two tbsp and started feeling sick 15 mins in.'I've noticed that I too will get nauseous if I don't space out my servingd enough. As you may know, kava is traditionally drank in ~4 fl.oz shells, spaced out. I've personally found that if I drink over 8floz within 15 minutes I still get nauseous pretty much every time. If you are taking the full 2tbsp in the 15 minute time span, try spacing out half of it at least 15 minutes after the first half. That spacing might help you out if you aren't already taking it that way.
That’s very interesting, for some reason I thought the default volume was 8oz per shell, so I’ve always had 8oz (sometimes with 2 tbsp and sometimes with 4 tbsp), and then I follow that up with the same kava for a second wash usually within 15 mins. That could very well be the variable I need to tweak. I’ll expirement and report back, thanks again!

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
@Cuzzie hey just checking in, have you had any improvements spacing out the shells?
Thanks for checking! Unfortunately not, haven’t had a good session in a while despite trying some different things. KWK borogu was the only consistent kava for me and I’m out of it but have a bunch of others. I think my plan is to finish the Kava’s I have, then get one more bag of borogu, and if nothing changes with that last borogu I may take a break for a while. I had some special blend KWk and pouni ono last night and as usual didn’t feel much, but felt crappy today.

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
Ahh alright, sorry to hear. It sounds a lot like my journey back in March/April or so. Took me a while to find the varieties and quantities that jived well with me. You'll get there, with kava, I've found, it can be more of a marathon than a sprint.

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Ahh alright, sorry to hear. It sounds a lot like my journey back in March/April or so. Took me a while to find the varieties and quantities that jived well with me. You'll get there, with kava, I've found, it can be more of a marathon than a sprint.
No worries, and thanks again for checking! I have plenty kava left so it’ll be a while before I finish it and then potentially throw in the towel. Hopefully by then something changes.

David718

Kava Curious
I'm not sure if this will precisely answer your question but I got something good for you....
Skip the Alu. Use a Nutribullet or Magic Bullet device. NOT BLENDER. I use some milk, not sure that's a game changer.
I used to use Nutribullet for ~50 sec 3-4 times. Just discovered going less is almost same potency. Maybe better in some respects... so maybe 30 sec x 2-3 or 20 x 3-5... Different Kava variety may may require more time, IDK. This way you Also you'll get more life out of appliance. I stop for a sec just to open container and release air.
Strain w/ nylon, squeeze and enjoy.
Next- Now if you compare this vs alu and don't notice any improvement (at least in potency), than the Alu might be doing it. It didn't at all for me. Sorry Alu guys.
Next, try a different strain, and likely vendor. I've tried abt 20 different Kavas/6-8 vendors. Only like 3 from 2 vendors. There is A LOT of Kava out there. I only found a handful that are great / or that really align w me.
Next- i find rather than working your way up in a session, go in reverse. So 18g, 14g, 10g... Instead of starting small and going up each shell.
Next - you say you're skipping days so that's a plus. But if I drink over a certain amount and do it daily on the third or fourth day I will not enjoy it nearly as much and/or may even have a negative effect. You build tolerance and the positive and MOST enjoyable effects will start diminishing.
My kave Kava 30g OK daily. If I go 40-50 2 + days in row I start to to have negative effects and "hangover". This will be something you'll gague.
Crap Kava I can hit 80g, not get nearly as enjoyable effect but will experience some hangover, derma...
This is just my general outline from experimenting w/ kava for 2 years. Hope it starts you in the right direction...

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not sure if this will precisely answer your question but I got something good for you....
Skip the Alu. Use a Nutribullet or Magic Bullet device. NOT BLENDER. I use some milk, not sure that's a game changer.
I used to use Nutribullet for ~50 sec 3-4 times. Just discovered going less is almost same potency. Maybe better in some respects... so maybe 30 sec x 2-3 or 20 x 3-5... Different Kava variety may may require more time, IDK. This way you Also you'll get more life out of appliance. I stop for a sec just to open container and release air.
Strain w/ nylon, squeeze and enjoy.
Next- Now if you compare this vs alu and don't notice any improvement (at least in potency), than the Alu might be doing it. It didn't at all for me. Sorry Alu guys.
Next, try a different strain, and likely vendor. I've tried abt 20 different Kavas/6-8 vendors. Only like 3 from 2 vendors. There is A LOT of Kava out there. I only found a handful that are great / or that really align w me.
Next- i find rather than working your way up in a session, go in reverse. So 18g, 14g, 10g... Instead of starting small and going up each shell.
Next - you say you're skipping days so that's a plus. But if I drink over a certain amount and do it daily on the third or fourth day I will not enjoy it nearly as much and/or may even have a negative effect. You build tolerance and the positive and MOST enjoyable effects will start diminishing.
My kave Kava 30g OK daily. If I go 40-50 2 + days in row I start to to have negative effects and "hangover". This will be something you'll gague.
Crap Kava I can hit 80g, not get nearly as enjoyable effect but will experience some hangover, derma...
This is just my general outline from experimenting w/ kava for 2 years. Hope it starts you in the right direction...
Thanks! I really appreciate the thoughtful and detailed reply. The only blending I’ve done is with some fresh frozen kava and then strained. I didn’t use the type of blender you’re referring to and and didn’t blend in the time increments you did either. I’ve also never tried blending and straining medium grind kava, so I need to try that. I just find the aluball so simple and quick, especially since I drink kava in the evenings and running a blender will likely wake the kids up.

what you say about only a few Kava’s working for you may be the case for me. So far borogu from KWK is really the only one that’s allowed me to have multiple good sessions. Almost everything else makes me feel sick in the moment and hungover the next day. Even some of the Kava’s that I hear other people saying are the best of the best. So maybe it’s just all very personal and subjective.

thanks again, you’ve given me some great tips!

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Just a quick update. Over the last week I’ve started doing a traditional prep method with medium grind (previously I’ve mainly used an aluball). I still haven’t had any “great” experiences but on the positive side I haven’t felt as much nausea or had a bad hangover the next day either, so that’s definitely a move in the right direction. I have some borogu on the way and that’s been the only consistent kava for me so far, so I’m excited to try traditional prep with it and see how that goes.