What's new

Munchies???

Chakram

Kava Curious
Hello, all! I’m noticing a trend several hours after I drink Kava. At first I have the expected appetite suppression…but it seems like after it wears off, I am freaking *starving* & craving carbs specifically. I ate a whole bag of Doritos last night. I felt like I’d been smoking weed.

It’s not like I don’t eat. I don’t think I should have been hungry. Has anyone else experienced this?

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
Hello, all! I’m noticing a trend several hours after I drink Kava. At first I have the expected appetite suppression…but it seems like after it wears off, I am freaking *starving* & craving carbs specifically. I ate a whole bag of Doritos last night. I felt like I’d been smoking weed.

It’s not like I don’t eat. I don’t think I should have been hungry. Has anyone else experienced this?
Though I don't react this way, my mate definitely does. About an hour after a couple strong shells, she is ready to eat. Of course, when you've not eaten for an afternoon it can leave you famished! :LOL:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin

I think it may be a result of not eating for several hours prior to shelling. I feel it too but I don't eat in anticipation of drinking kava, which will lead me to be starving several hours later after a heavy session. (Which is most of the time for me. :D)

Chakram

Kava Curious
I think it may be a result of not eating for several hours prior to shelling. I feel it too but I don't eat in anticipation of drinking kava, which will lead me to be starving several hours later after a heavy session. (Which is most of the time for me. :D)
I way get that, it just seems like the munchies because of *what* I crave, haha! I’m used to fasting / feasting cycle with intermittent fasting, but this was like - hand me all your chips and don’t expect a single spare.

MendelTheMonk

Kava Curious
I’m usually hungry 45-1hr afterwards. I tend to always have a “sensitive” stomach in regards to hunger and acid reflux. One of the things I love doing is after 30-minutes to an hour into a Kava session, eating a big spoonful of peanut butter.

Last edited:

Jack3

Kava Curious
Some naturopaths and functional medicine doctors say junk food craving comes from dysbiosis with microbial imbalances and parasites. Maybe plain probiotic coconut yogurt with celery, Italian seasoning, sea salt, and walnuts would be a good option. Or yogurt of your choice, of course, but make sure it’s live active cultures. Maybe Kim chi or sauerkraut with yogurt and Brazil nuts?

some say you could feel worse if your guts really bad off. Maybe do a stool test called GI Maps first or maybe Viome and get food recommendations?

if nothing else, definitely ditch the chips but find a healthy and enjoyable alternative. Whole peanuts cooked in a pressure cooker after soaking overnight would be best, but even dry roasted organic or even just dry roasted in the shell would be better than peanut butter. Or some mixed nuts. Maybe edamame? Hummus on cucumbers?

definitely prepare in advance so no need to decide at the time just dig in.

Valyn

Kava Curious
Sometimes I fast before a session and will wake up around 9 AM not eat until 3 or 4 PM, and then I will begin the session which will last a 2 or 3 hours. So I am usually starving on those days. Other times I can have breakfast and wait 5 or so hours to begin.

Dylan Knable

Country Grits
This is something I have all the time during kava sessions! I find that it's because I don't eat for hours before a long session. By the end, I'm convinced I could eat an elephant!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This is something I have all the time during kava sessions! I find that it's because I don't eat for hours before a long session. By the end, I'm convinced I could eat an elephant!
In kava culture these snacks are called "Pupus" and let me tell you I really had to think hard when we sat down and were offered Pupu at the kava circle.