What's new

My eyes

MokiAwa

Kava Curious
Whelp friends, I've done it.

I've been under so much stress lately (working in healthcare during a pandemic) and drank enough kava to make the corners of my eyes crack. It hurts. I've dealt with bouts of dry skin before but nothing I couldn't handle. This is a huge bummer cuz it really helps me unwind at night without booze.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I've heard it before and I'll put it here too. O'Keefe's is a life-saver in regards to dermo on the eyes, face and lips.

MokiAwa

Kava Curious
Sorry to hear that. Do you have any other symptoms of excessive kava use?

Also, how much were you using before this happened?
No other symptoms. Some dry skin but it's also winter and that is manageable. Before, about the same consistency but half as much in my grog. Prolly 8 tablespoons or so

Blergs

Kava Curious
It is best to use coconut oil or lotion meant for the eyes
Yeah I started using a fragrance free hypoallergenic hand lotion on body lips and eyes and after a week eyes got worse and kept crying, mainly right eye, I think maybe an infection or damage and very painful. I used antibiotic eye drops for about a week and now using visine drops.
So I agree on avoiding stuff not meant for eyes. I've never tried O'Keefe's yet though, but plan to try it soon

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah I started using a fragrance free hypoallergenic hand lotion on body lips and eyes and after a week eyes got worse and kept crying, mainly right eye, I think maybe an infection or damage and very painful. I used antibiotic eye drops for about a week and now using visine drops.
So I agree on avoiding stuff not meant for eyes. I've never tried O'Keefe's yet though, but plan to try it soon
I wouldnt use o'keefe's on your face. Stick with lotion meant for the face or coconut oil. Also I would suggest to use eye lubricating drops not visine. One other thing that has help me in the past with this is to wash your eyelids gently with baby shampoo then put the lotion on after it is dry. I do not get this problem anymore, but certain kavas will bring it back

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I wouldnt use o'keefe's on your face. Stick with lotion meant for the face or coconut oil. Also I would suggest to use eye lubricating drops not visine. One other thing that has help me in the past with this is to wash your eyelids gently with baby shampoo then put the lotion on after it is dry. I do not get this problem anymore, but certain kavas will bring it back
Yes, this.

@_byron reminded me during our zoom session that while this may work, it could lead to further issues if you end up blocking your pores.

Good suggestion.