What's new

My First Dermopathy

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
To begin, I need to start with the two most important details. First off, I have never had dry skin in my entire life. I use facial lotion for the sake of anti-aging. Secondly, I have only drank kava for about three weeks. All of my kavas are nobles. Most of them are HGK, which is the vendor that I trust most. I was alternating BHK 11 Year with a various HGK's. I have only had micronized kava at home. I know that I am not getting all of the effects of kava, aside from fallling asleep with GHK nene. Finally, you should also know that I am a weird kava case. I am as good at getting crunked as I am at a trigonometry.

I do not believe that have a horrible case of dermo but it's a bit creepy. The skin is peeling off of the top sides of my fingers but my arms are only slighty dry. My neck is as dry as a fresh dollar bill, as is my back. The worst part is that in the morning, I have to lotion up my neck and back immediately. If I don't, it feels like my skin has tightened. I did a shrug this morning and I woke up and I felt like I was breaking out of my own skin. My lower eyelids got dry and everyone noticed. I have worn glasses more often to cover that up. The front of my lower legs are also dry, dry enough for me to see very pronounced lines when I scratch them with my fingernails. All of this started one week ago. I stopped drinking kava immediately after I saw the first skin symptom. I am a week without kava not and my eyelids are almost back to normal after starting drops.

My amounts:
I knew early on that I might be highly sensitive to kava. I drank four tablespoons for the first couple of days with hopes to bust throuh reverse tolerance in Kool-Aid Man fashion. I dropped to three tablespoons for rest of the first week. For the second week, I was doing just two tablespoons and still having problem getting through the next day of work without wanted to go lay down and die somewhere. However, I wanted to keep up with it in order to try to break through reverse tolerance. The third week, I was doing two nice teaspoons per day, which is about a tablespoon. After that I noticed the fingers and the next day my neck and back.

I may have read everything in the forum pertaining to dermo. I am not looking for more advice more than I am just taking a minute to share my own personal account of it with other new drinkers. I did the smart thing and halted consumption immediately. I feel that the smartest thing at this point is to wait until the situation is complete gone and one week more before reopening the bags. I then will go down to one teaspoon. If that doesn't work out by the end of my current supply, I may look into instant. One vendor has told me that instant is better than micro when it comes to dermo. My advice to everyone is to pay attention to your skin and eyes. Again, you may never experience this at all. I hope you don't. Enjoy your kava.

Jake o Links

Krunkin with Sasquatch!
try a medium grind in a nylon and do the prep work (hey, it's 10 min) while I love the possitive of micro I had to cut it completely do to dehydration issues (and very light dermo). I do SO much better with a traditional prep. Honestly, I get better results too. Still if you are sensative to kava you may just have to put it down... :(
best of luck!

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Rats, dermo before RT is over. That's balls. I would second @Jake o Links comment and say that it may be time to switch to traditional prep. Or take a break until the dermo subsides. Never having had dermo, I don't know much about it other than it starts at annoying and goes up to painful. I've only recently started with the micronized, so who knows, I may be in the backyard wedged in a tree crotch trying to molt in a week or so.

blindy107

Kava Lover
11 year always gives me dermo. I usually have to limit myself...which is hard cause I love it!

Also the addition of root material in your system is probably not helping so, as stated, medium grind and traditional prep should be next step!

verticity

I'm interested in things
I had a pretty bad case of dermo on my legs. Recently I switched to kneading in double nylon stockings, instead of a single stocking, and the dermo seems to have improved somewhat. (Also my tummy is happier)

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I can't recommend fine mesh nylon monofilament bags enough. Start at 80 microns and see how that goes.
Can I start with an AluBall? :happy: I am not kneading/massaging kava. I know that a lot of people do it and even a lot of people like to do it but I am not interested in it. @blindy107 My 11 Year had a shit ton of root material in it. I had to strain and some of those strains were uglier than others, all of which were ugly. I wouldn't get that one again. Nothing against other BKH kavas.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I don't mind kneading myself. But I believe the "blender method" or rolling pin are ways to make grog with medium grind. Could be an option.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Based on my experience over the last six months, I'd say you're not really getting the full 100% effect of kava without doing traditional prep of medium grind. I find it a chore too. It makes a mess, makes my hands smell like swamp gas and roadkill, makes my forearms burn from kneading, but in the end, there's really no substitute. Micronized is close, but it comes with more stomach discomfort and a longer hangover the next day. Consider trying it, @Pacifico. Get good equipment for it and set aside 15 minutes. It's a better kava effect, lower chance of dermo, easier on the stomach and you even burn a few calories.

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
Based on my experience over the last six months, I'd say you're not really getting the full 100% effect of kava without doing traditional prep of medium grind. I find it a chore too. It makes a mess, makes my hands smell like swamp gas and roadkill, makes my forearms burn from kneading, but in the end, there's really no substitute. Micronized is close, but it comes with more stomach discomfort and a longer hangover the next day. Consider trying it, @Pacifico. Get good equipment for it and set aside 15 minutes. It's a better kava effect, lower chance of dermo, easier on the stomach and you even burn a few calories.
Have you or anyone else heard about instant and how it might be easier on you in terms of dermo? I assume but cannot be sure that most instant is a product of tradtional prep?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I very rarely get dermo, I have heard that the 11 year old stuff causes a lot of dermo faster. After your break try only the 11 year old or only my kava, I am sure you will see a difference. To give you an example, on drinker told me after drinking so much of one type of kava (not going to mention what one or the "age") they stopped the kava they were drinking and started drinking min and the dermo cleared up. Aloha.

Chris

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I very rarely get dermo, I have heard that the 11 year old stuff causes a lot of dermo faster. After your break try only the 11 year old or only my kava, I am sure you will see a difference. To give you an example, on drinker told me after drinking so much of one type of kava (not going to mention what one or the "age") they stopped the kava they were drinking and started drinking min and the dermo cleared up. Aloha.

Chris
Yes, I have some of yours left and I like yours the most anyways. (I think I have a quarter of boroguru (not from your actual farm of course) and I have about an 1/8 bag of nene. I am impressed by it but I wouldn't order nene again because it doesn't really fit into my equation. It is very sedating and I fall asleep before I can enjoy it. I am happy for everyone else that loves it. I have Kalm With Kava Pouni Ono too but I am now a bit scared to try it. Chris, can you give us some insight on how micro and instant might be different when it comes to dermo?

verticity

I'm interested in things
What you should do, the first time it happens, is just excuse yourself from class and go see the school nurse. It is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about. It happens to all your peers around this time, so the nurse will not judge you, and give you something to help with any bleeding you may experience. It's just a normal part of your development as a kava drinker.