What's new

My first experience with kava...

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
So as some of you know I recently ordered some kava from paradise kava... Last night I chugged down about 2 an a half cups of liquid paired with 4 tablespoons of kava...

First off, obviously, the taste was fucking horrible. In fact, I really hope it's alright if next time I can put some chocolate syrup and maybe some berries and a banana into the blender after making the grog to freshen the taste. Maybe someone reading this can offer a suggestion on that. I took my kava on an empty stomach as recommended and began to feel the effects about 5 minutes after ingesting the liquid. The mixture was cold from being chilled hours prior in the fridge. From now on though, I think that I will leave it out for a little bit after chilling it and let it catch room temperature. That's what I did today when I had my second drink, but I'll get to that in a minute...

So I'm on my xbox watching the young turks last night after ingesting the grog and I began to feel something. It's weird. I really can not describe the effects of kava 100%, but to me, it just kind of feels like being comfortably numb. Food tasted a bit better as well for some reason... More texture maybe?
I honestly thought it was going to be a stronger feeling after hearing so much about paradise kava, and then today came and I had my second dose....

I worked out my abs today in the early afternoon to some p90 X ab ripper and before I even started my routine I knew I was really hungry. My drink had already been made, (same dosage with slightly more water) so I decided after finishing my workout that I would consume the kava because the only thing I had had to eat that day so far was a bowl of cereal.

Holy shit! I felt fucked up! But in a pretty damn good way! Haha. I had poured some milk in a separate glass to held me get the kava down. Drink some kava, then take a breather and have some milk to dilute the peppery taste, then repeat... I think the milk increased the kavalactones effects!!! My reasoning for this was because milk has fat, causing the kavalactones to break down easier. I almost feel the urge to puke a bit when going from kava to milk, and then back and forth again. Idk why that was, maybe because milk is thick?

Anyway, I felt it MUCH quicker than I did last night. I just wanted to go to sleep, haha or at least lay down. So I decided to lie down and read a magazine on the couch for a bit. After I consumed some rice with peas, onions, and shrimp about 25 minutes later, I noticed the effects start to become much less intense, but still pretty nice. Just not as noticeable. Maybe that's a good think, because I mainly wanted to use kava to help me start this new job that I think I maybe be starting some time later next week. I just wanna be anxiety free.

Maybe the reverse tolerance is already starting to die down, which would be awesome. This kava seems like good shit, but I think from now on when I run out I will be ordering from bula kava house. I want to get my hands on some melo melo and some boroguru because I heard that they are ideal for anxiety and they are more in my price range anyway for the amount that get.

One last thing I wanna mention here was my heart rate. I thought the kava would immediately slow it down, but I felt my heart rate increase up to 90 bpm a few minutes after I had consumed it. I think this was because I was nervous though. Anxious people tend to have anxious/protective thinking patterns and in my head I was thinking "please don't make me trip, please don't make me trip" haha.
I have almost 100% confidence now that no such thing will happen while under the influence of kava. I'm sure the worst thing that could happen is that I either vomit from consuming too much or that I pass out from the strength of product.

Also, I know kava is not an aphrodisiac of any sort, butttttttt I did fell slightly hornier after taking it. Might be fun to try a small amount before taking your girl to pound-town.

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@Shredder that is a pretty awesome report of your experience. I had very similar experiences when I first started kava so I can really relate to everything you said. I don't do milk because I'm on a low carb diet (mostly). But I do find any protein with fat in it works really well for me to potentiate the kava effects. (but only after drinking some shells not before).

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Great, It sounds like you really are getting the full effects. Its good your learning the ropes. Kava is pretty forgiving. The worst you can do is fall asleep. Also the milk thing is interesting. But what ever is clever, my friend. Just glad you get to feel what we talk about. welcome to the club. Much love. Roaddog....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
From experience I prefer not to combine kava with milk. It doesn't do a great job of getting rid of the taste, and like you said, it's a little thick which just reminds you of the kava. Ginger beer is ideal and fruit juice is okay. I prefer to down it all in one go while holding my nose and take a swallow of whatever I'm drinking before I let go. That's just me though. Gotta experiment to find what works best for you.

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
From experience I prefer not to combine kava with milk. It doesn't do a great job of getting rid of the taste, and like you said, it's a little thick which just reminds you of the kava. Ginger beer is ideal and fruit juice is okay. I prefer to down it all in one go while holding my nose and take a swallow of whatever I'm drinking before I let go. That's just me though. Gotta experiment to find what works best for you.
So what your basically saying is you do a Ginger beer, Kava sandwich. I remember back in the day we, would do coke, and Jim Beam sandwiches. I'm sure the sandwich approach, would be quit effective. Much love. Roaddog....

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Oh no I don't combine them, just plug & chug and then wash it down with something.
Wait, I'm confused, is ginger ail, and ginger beer two separate things. I did not know there was a alcohol beverage made of ginger. Much love. Roaddog....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I honestly don't know how much of a difference there is. The stuff I have (Reed's Extra Strength Ginger Beer) is non alcoholic and has a lot of ginger (good for treating nausea). It's really spicy and flavorful.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
ginger beers are fermented and can have up to .5 percent alcohol in them without being considered an alcoholic beverage. they kinda taste weird to me, but I like it....wish i had one right now :hungry:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
ginger beers are fermented and can have up to .5 percent alcohol in them without being considered an alcoholic beverage. they kinda taste weird to me, but I like it....wish i had one right now :hungry:
Really? about 1/7th the alcohol of a regular 3.2 beer. Be more like 1/14 of a good microbrew. No way to get drunk on that. Much love. Roaddog....

Shredder

Kava Enthusiast
Fuck it. I'm getting me some ginger beer!!! Is it sold in supermarkets?

Either way, even if it DOES taste bad, it can't be worse going down the drain then the taste of the kava...

Or maybe trying chocolate syrup with some milk might help... I'll experiment with both. Idk if I wanna use fruit juice though, because all of that sugar is just going to turn into fat...

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I'm afraid ginger beer has a lot of sugar in it :( Reed's has a low calorie version though.
I can buy Reed's at my dumpy local Texas grocer so I'm guessing yes. Whatever brand you get, make sure it has a lot of actual ginger. Reed's Extra Strength has 26 g.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Fuck it. I'm getting me some ginger beer!!! Is it sold in supermarkets?

Either way, even if it DOES taste bad, it can't be worse going down the drain then the taste of the kava...

Or maybe trying chocolate syrup with some milk might help... I'll experiment with both. Idk if I wanna use fruit juice though, because all of that sugar is just going to turn into fat...
I don't know, I have never had much luck with chocolate. Now you can choose any juice you want, and make a grog from it, add a little coconut oil, and strain. That's how my wife dose it. She even uses flavored teas. She has got a recipe in the recipe section. Yes, that's something else, check out the recipe section. You want to go to home, and scroll down, you will see it in there some where, I forget how far you have to scroll down. Much love. Roaddog....

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I don't know, I have never had much luck with chocolate. Now you can choose any juice you want, and make a grog from it, add a little coconut oil, and strain. That's how my wife dose it. She even uses flavored teas. She has got a recipe in the recipe section. Yes, that's something else, check out the recipe section. You want to go to home, and scroll down, you will see it in there some where, I forget how far you have to scroll down. Much love. Roaddog....
FYI The Recipe Section is in The Kavapedia.

D

Deleted User01

Nice review Shredder, poundtown and all. I'm impressed that you hit the P90. I've done some of that and that is definetly for young folks who are already fit. In other words, people who don't need it. :D I would recommend you get your P90 stuff done before your Kava. Also, it seems like your reverse tolerance is letting up so take smaller doses and as many as you need. You don't "pound" Kava like you do beers. The high heart rate and nervousness may be a sign that you need to slow up a bit. It's a little bothersome.