What's new

My first time growing experience

Akva

Kava Curious
Hi all, i just read through Kalm with Kava’s thread and thought I’d put in my 2 cents worth my first time growing kava - cold, browning leaves, spider mites etc. My plant is about 8 months old now and going well. It was quite difficult to get it going though initially as I got it just before winter (southern hemisphere). I had to bring it either inside overnight or under cover if it was cold - lowest it gets here is to about 11C or 50F. Also when the plant is young keep it in the shade never full sun. My soil mix was about 1/3 each of pearlite, orchid mix and coir. Very loose and my observation is that I did not water it enough as it got bigger. As soon as I upped the watering (as the weather warmed) the leaves stopped browning off. I continually inspected for spider mites each late afternoon and squished them by hand when I found them. I found this more effective than using neem etc. I don’t do that now although they are still around. Every now and then I find one. Fine spider web strands each morning are a giveaway they are around. My plant now seems very happy and a lot bigger, having been repotted about a month ago. It is shooting new shoots out of main stems and out of the ground. I also have it out further in the sun about 3 hrs full each day. You can see things eat the leaves but plant seems old enough to fend for itself now. Wind can be a problem too with damaging the leaves. I use worm juice and liquid fert regularly for foliage feeding and root feeding. It has also been raining here almost daily and it’s hot and humid - perfect growing weather really. About 29C / 85F. Plants LOVE rainwater which is naturally slightly acidic. I am now considering/contemplating how to take cuttings to propagate. Fingers crossed.
Also one of the stems is quite different to the others. Not sure if this is just because it’s a secondary or lower side stem, or if it is a mutation??

Attachments

Last edited:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hi all, i just read through Kalm with Kava’s thread and thought I’d put in my 2 cents worth my first time growing kava - cold, browning leaves, spider mites etc. My plant is about 8 months old now and going well. It was quite difficult to get it going though initially as I got it just before winter (southern hemisphere). I had to bring it either inside overnight or under cover if it was cold - lowest it gets here is to about 11C or 50F. Also when the plant is young keep it in the shade never full sun. My soil mix was about 1/3 each of pearlite, orchid mix and coir. Very loose and my observation is that I did not water it enough as it got bigger. As soon as I upped the watering (as the weather warmed) the leaves stopped browning off. I continually inspected for spider mites each late afternoon and squished them by hand when I found them. I found this more effective than using neem etc. I don’t do that now although they are still around. Every now and then I find one. Fine spider web strands each morning are a giveaway they are around. My plant now seems very happy and a lot bigger, having been repotted about a month ago. It is shooting new shoots out of main stems and out of the ground. I also have it out further in the sun about 3 hrs full each day. You can see things eat the leaves but plant seems old enough to fend for itself now. Wind can be a problem too with damaging the leaves. I use worm juice and liquid fert regularly for foliage feeding and root feeding. It has also been raining here almost daily and it’s hot and humid - perfect growing weather really. About 29C / 85F. Plants LOVE rainwater which is naturally slightly acidic. I am now considering/contemplating how to take cuttings to propagate. Fingers crossed.
Also one of the stems is quite different to the others. Not sure if this is just because it’s a secondary or lower side stem, or if it is a mutation??
That is a great looking kava plant! Congratulations. Some of the stalks remind me of Mo'i and that one different stalk reminds me of Mahakea. Yes! Foliar feeding really helps, that is what I do also, lots.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
You're a much better gardener than I!

Mine is probably about 8 months old as well, but yours is far more healthy and strong! I think I need to repot and use your soil mix. The soil I currently have it in retains too much moisture and ends up causing rotting issues (but that's just a guess). Now I've apparently got to figure out how to make worm juice...

Akva

Kava Curious
Hi @Kalm with Kava - have just done a lot of research is all! yes I used a soil mix that was posted here some time ago from a nursery. I think it is a crucial factor. I will re-post. Mine is slightly different but does the job. I think I also added some horticultural charcoal to the mix as well. Should be a very loose mix - it seems to help a lot. Because i water so much I don’t have a tray under my pot either. Also when I repotted to a larger pot I added some coarse sand as well to make the mix slightly heavier (so the pot retained a little more moisture) but this is optional. Good luck.

Attachments

Akva

Kava Curious
That is a great looking kava plant! Congratulations. Some of the stalks remind me of Mo'i and that one different stalk reminds me of Mahakea. Yes! Foliar feeding really helps, that is what I do also, lots.
Thanks @Alia , yes they do look like those varieties. Time will tell I guess.