What's new

My take on the 'milk of the pacific'

kl.metacog

Kava Enthusiast
Hello everyone!  My name is Andrew and I'm currently three bowls deep with this stuff :)
I'm relatively new to the kava world.  My first bag was given to me as a present from my mother (who did her research, found out that root powder's where it's at); Fiji Kava from realkava.com.  Although a pretty solid start-off,  when the 1/2 kilo was killed in 2 weeks I was ready for a new experience.
After lurking around this forum for a few days, some reviews of Fu'u kava really piqued my interest.  A quick google surf informed me that said kava was going for 20 a 1/4 kilo, and although slightly more expensive than my 35$ first bag, my curiosity took over with ease and made a purchase of two.
I live in Ohio, so I didn't expect that a little kava bar out of Portland would get my shipment in in less than a week, but well, it did.  In fact, I put the order in on Thursday, they processed the order on Friday and it was on my doorstep on Tuesday.  F**ck yeah f**ck yeah.
After a fast rip-up of the shipping container, I immediately opened a package and inhaled-and sighed happily.  Fragrant and creamy.  I was stoked.
I mixed up two heaping tbsp. in a half a cup of water and shwilled it down-and smiled.  Drinking kava just went from tolerable, to enjoyable.  Everything that the scent proposed came across in the flavor.  The buzz that came soon after definitely didn't disappoint.  Unlike my body-heavy predecessor, I found this variety to be quite well rounded with the mind as well, and a quick experiment with a guitar produced interesting avenues in melody lines.  I'm not implying psychedelic, but perhaps a sort of beneficial 'phase-out' quality.
During my second experience with Fu'u, I became inspired by it's light creamy nature to combine it with coffee.  I ground up a few beans and performed this procedure:
Two Heaping tbsp. Fu'uHalf a cup of Water
       Massage with your fingers until mixture becomes homogenous
1 normal tbsp. of coffee grounds (I used hazelnut)
        Stir with a spoon until grounds seem well distributed.  Let sit for at least 30 minutes.  Strain  ( I ripped up an old t-shirt).          Serve on ice.
It is simply delicious.   If you have BKH Fu'u, please try it and tell me your thoughts!  I'm going to go make more now :)  It is Friday, after all.

kl.el187joker

Kava Enthusiast
hey im in ohio also what part are you in. i lived i Cincinnati but now moved to Coldwater(about 100 north of Cincinnati) nice to hear of a fellow awa drinker in the state.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Coffee grounds huh...

That caffeine cocktail...I bet you went NEROOOOOM after that! Ha.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Krunkedout said:
I want a girlfriend like that
It'd be nice just to have a girl friend that liked kava as much as we do. Out of the 15+ people I've introduced it to non of them except for the one that is already married...(smiley: tired)... liked it that much.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Vekta said:
Krunkedout said:
I want a girlfriend like that
It'd be nice just to have a girl friend that liked kava as much as we do. Out of the 15+ people I've introduced it to non of them except for the one that is already married...(smiley: tired)... liked it that much. 
it's tough for a Californian kavasseur. Huh, that could be an interesting book title... "Adventures of a Californian Kavasseur"

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
"Californian" and Kavasseur don't belong in the same happy kinda sentence. (smiley: sick)

kl.el187joker

Kava Enthusiast
My wife likes kava a lot. But I don't think on the same level as me though... Yet. The taste is not growing on her yet. She won't even tough boroguru anymore. She really likes the Fijian. I really should have ordered more, I hope she like the Hawaiian awa.