What's new

Nasty Kava Rash... long-term symptoms? (salty taste)

Hi Kava folks!

About 18 months ago, I experienced the AWFUL kava allergy rash (see images) after drinking kava for a 4 weeks.

It lasted about 11 days from start to finish - I cut kava immediately. It was rough to say the least. I haven't touched kava since.

On doing more research, it seems I made the DUMB mistake of mixing kava / alcohol. Thinking back - it was probably 2-3 seltzers and two servings of kava.

The reason I'm here though is another symptom that continues on.

A few weeks before the rash I slightly mixed Kava and alcohol, the next day I had a salty/metallic taste in my mouth and felt super unwell.
I went to the urgent care because I thought it was Covid. I had a negative rapid test.

The taste and fatigue went away, then it came back a few weeks later when the rash hit.

The rash went away, but the taste / fatigue haven't left. They continue to flare every 2-3 weeks since then. So for the last 18 months, I've been having this taste / fatigue come and go every few weeks.

I've been reading a lot of posts by @Kapmcrunk - they're super insightful.

My general bloodwork is all normal. I have slightly elevated bilirubin (1.3 - 1.9), but I've had that years before Kava - they think I have Gilberts syndrome.

Other symptoms during the taste / fatigue flare ups:
  • - stomach seems to rumble hard / extremely foul smelling gas (no diarrhea though)
  • - fatigue / brain fog
  • - slight sinus pressure (no snot, just itchy)
  • - I get a slight face rash along my nose
  • - emotional mood swings (feelings of doom when it's really rough).
I'm getting a ton of bloodwork done this month to check vitamin deficiencies. Could a Kava reaction with alcohol screwed up my system or made me allergic to something suddenly?

Any other ideas on what this could be?

Attachments

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Sounds like long covid side effects, you may have had it around the same time and not have realized it.