What's new

Kava Physiology Need Help with Kava Effects on Sleep, Anxiety, and Digestion**

amandoad

Hello everyone,

I need some guidance to figure out if Kava is the right fit for me. Here are my concerns and experiences so far:

1. **Purpose:**
I was hoping Kava could help with sleep, anxiety, and tapering off my sleep medication.

2. **Experience:**
I’ve tried Kava four times, but it's causing nausea, a pukish feeling, and seems to have the opposite effect of prokinetics—it feels like it’s stopping my peristaltic movement. Additionally, the next day I feel lethargic, similar to alcohol aftereffects.

3. **Kava Strain:**
The strain I used was Fiji-Waka roots from the Sabu-Sabu area, purchased from an Australian Kava shop. I'm planning to try Borongoru from Kalm with Kava in a day or two to see if it’s any better.

4. **Questions:**
- Do water-soluble extracts like those from Roots of Happiness cause the same nausea and digestive issues, or are they gentler on the stomach?
- Could it be that a different strain of Kava might suit me better?

5. **Additional Concerns:**
I need to improve my focus and productivity while managing ADHD. I often get headaches from looking at screens or dealing with any strain, though this has improved compared to before.

6. **Request for Help:**
If you know any integrative or holistic medicine practitioners who could assist me, I would appreciate recommendations. Also, if you have suggestions on other Kava brands or strains that might be easier on the stomach, please let me know.

I’m using the correct strainer and preparing Kava according to instructions, but still experiencing these issues. I’d love any advice or guidance you can offer.

Thank you!

Gabbadict

Kava Curious
I too will be in the process of tapering my benzodiazpine, hopefully too be totally free from the drug.

I have the Fijian waka also from Australian kava shop, I haven't tried it yet but from what I have heard it is a heavy kava and many people enjoy it for its relaxing properties.

I have borongoru from root and pestle and I have fallen in love with that cultivator, i will.use this cutivater for such a lovely sedating and relaxing feel. Borongoru to me is a very similar feeling to that of a benzodiazpine.

As far as stomach issues, I have not had any and I also prepare all my kava the traditional method. The only nausea I will have is when I know it's time to stop my session. The first week on borongoru I woke up some mornings abit "spacy" but that was also due to not being properly hydrated. I wake up fine now on all the diffrent cultivators I have.

Maybe wait until you see how the borongoru goes and give it a good shot.

As I continue to research this amazing plant medicine I am in awe regarding how closely it resembles very strong pharmaceutical drugs without the side effect and addiction, and just how it actually repairs so many neurotransmitters within the brain amongst other things......