What's new

Needing 14-16 tbsp/session?

David H.

Kava Curious
I’m a 6 ft 8, 220 lb male. It takes me 14-16 tablespoons of strained Kava tea to feel anything. Does anyone else experience this? Seems like most people do fine with 4-8 tablespoons. I’m not sure what I could be doing wrong...

-I drink Kava on an empty stomach (4 hours at least no food)
-I knead each batch for 15 minutes through a nylon stocking.

Once I get to around 14-16 tablespoons it hits pretty hard. It’s just frustrating because it’s rough on my wallet. Open to any ideas for making it stronger or last longer. Thank you!

EDIT:

My typical Kava’s are BKH:
-Borogu
-Nambawan
-Nangol

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
How long you been drinking kava, David? If a long time, is this a new strain? It can take me up to a month to break through RT on a new strain.
If it's been a long while on the same strain, I'd be trying instant or micro for sure.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
You could try using the blender instead of traditional kneading. This makes a stronger kava drink as the blender allows to release more kavalactones. But I'm no expert on this. Other users here can tell you more about blender methods.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I’m a 6 ft 8, 220 lb male. It takes me 14-16 tablespoons of strained Kava tea to feel anything. Does anyone else experience this? Seems like most people do fine with 4-8 tablespoons. I’m not sure what I could be doing wrong...

-I drink Kava on an empty stomach (4 hours at least no food)
-I knead each batch for 15 minutes through a nylon stocking.

Once I get to around 14-16 tablespoons it hits pretty hard. It’s just frustrating because it’s rough on my wallet. Open to any ideas for making it stronger or last longer. Thank you!

EDIT:

My typical Kava’s are BKH:
-Borogu
-Nambawan
-Nangol
It does take a larger dose for some people, I would be interested to know how long you've been drinking kava? I've been where you are and it's very possible to cut back down to a more affordable dose. Your body weight has nothing to do with the amount needed, I'm 6'3" and weight around 250 lbs and 4-6 tablespoons of most kavas give me very nice effects.

The key is consistency (semi or daily intake) and perhaps exploring other varieties of kavas, for instance, kava Supreme from Kavafied is an affordable and potent kava, you can buy it on amazon so it's super convenient as well. There are many other kavas like Squanch waka, that will give you a better bang for your buck. The key is finding the right kava and making the most from each batch.

As a side note, I love Nangol and drink approx. 5 tbs for very nice effects.

Summer

mercy triumphs over judgment
Anywhere from 10-16 tbsp is my average dosage. I know it depends on strength of preparation and how much sediment you drink. Typically I drink Supreme and/or Hawaiian.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I'm 155 lbs and drink 8-12 Tbsp...weight doesn't seem to be correlated to kava tolerance...it seems to be almost entirely a genetic issue.
There are a lot of people who get fully buzzed on 3-5 Tbsp...and then there's people like us.

Last edited:

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
^^^ 135 lbs and I have to drink a similar amount. So strange body type doesn’t seem to affect the dosage