What's new

Negative effects predominate

owen099

Kava Curious
Hey all! I've been a regular kava partaker for around 4 years now. Kava used to feel relaxing, but the effects are weird now. I feel agitated, restless, and usually nauseous. Almost zero good effects.

Recently I've tried Stone, GHK's nene and mahekea, Cactus's Loa Lawena and eva.... Lots of variety, yet they all feel the same. Overwhelming agitation.

Anybody else get this? Any advice?

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
I haven’t been drinking as long as you, but I stopped for several months after having almost exclusively bad experiences (mainly nausea and next day hangovers). Prior to feeling bad, I found that KWK borogu was the only type of kava that I sometimes had good experiences with. So after my break of a couple months, I came back to drinking borogu and I’ve recently added in fiji Vanua kava malo Tonga. I don’t always get the “good” feeling, but thankfully I haven’t had any of the really bad effects since re-starting kava. So based on that maybe it helps to take a break, and/or stick to drinking the types of kava that have historically been good to you?

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
Hey all! I've been a regular kava partaker for around 4 years now. Kava used to feel relaxing, but the effects are weird now. I feel agitated, restless, and usually nauseous. Almost zero good effects.

Recently I've tried Stone, GHK's nene and mahekea, Cactus's Loa Lawena and eva.... Lots of variety, yet they all feel the same. Overwhelming agitation.

About how much Kava are you taking?

Krunkmeister

Kava Curious

Stone makes me feel that way, though most people say it’s heavy. What’s your caffeine consumption like? Kava can potentiate the caffeine for me.

owen099

Kava Curious
Stone makes me feel that way, though most people say it’s heavy. What’s your caffeine consumption like? Kava can potentiate the caffeine for me.
It ranges from low (a cup of tea) to a bit more (a strong cup of coffee). However, I drink caffeine early in the morning exclusively and kava at night.

owen099

Kava Curious
I haven’t been drinking as long as you, but I stopped for several months after having almost exclusively bad experiences (mainly nausea and next day hangovers). Prior to feeling bad, I found that KWK borogu was the only type of kava that I sometimes had good experiences with. So after my break of a couple months, I came back to drinking borogu and I’ve recently added in fiji Vanua kava malo Tonga. I don’t always get the “good” feeling, but thankfully I haven’t had any of the really bad effects since re-starting kava. So based on that maybe it helps to take a break, and/or stick to drinking the types of kava that have historically been good to you?
I think that's a good bet, although I should have taken notes of past experiences. I'm not sure what kavas I'd get. Thank you!

Jacob Bula

Nobody

Same things been happening with me. I take a 2 week break forget all the bad and only remember the 1 hour of good, and start all over again. I think I'm going to take a long break. It's not playing well with night shift and depression.

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
Typically between 2-4tbs. My recent tries to stop the negative effects have included making less and drinking it slower
Taking it slow will be a good idea. Try to water it down also or even take a break from Kava from a while.

Jacob Bula

Nobody

For me it seems like quality sleep and good sleep hygiene make kava a lot more enjoyable

owen099

Kava Curious
Same things been happening with me. I take a 2 week break forget all the bad and only remember the 1 hour of good, and start all over again. I think I'm going to take a long break. It's not playing well with night shift and depression.
Right on. Taking a break could be good for me. To reply to your other comment, I've had great, long sleep recently, so I don't think it's that.

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
I currently don't have that problem but for me I get a totally different experience when I have my Kava slowly ... like if I was having a tea instead of downing it all down (like the traditional way).

I guess everyone is different so you need to find what works between for you.

In my case I have a better experience when I take it slowly in sips than when I down it all down my throat.