What's new

Powdered Kava Review Nene - Medium Grind

Jerome

Kava Lover
I don't know why I stray from the Hawaiian kavas (except maybe for a good Fijian or Tongan). I've had Nene from other Hawaiian vendors in the past but this was my first experience with Gourmet Hawaiian Kava Nene.

This is a high quality powder. Very little rough bits, mostly just light, fluffy, fine, cream colored, powder. What massaging the kava sack (not a euphemism) the bag was very oily and and the liquid result had that high quality kava feel. The liquid felt thick but super smooth.

Creamy white product that tasted very smooth. Slow acting euphoria but relatively potent. Nice mild sedation and mild body relaxation. No negative side effects.

This kava was exactly what I needed yesterday afternoon after a frustrating day at work. I sat out on the back porch before dinner with my wife watching the kids chase the chickens and just smiled.

D

Deleted User01

Nice Review! If stranded on an island with only 1 kava, I would choose Nene. Why? Taste is minimal, side effects are minimal, sedation is nice but not too strong, it's ranked #1 in nobility, and the number reason is that it's great for sleep. @Jerome, how did you sleep that night?
I will also add in defense of other kavas that it is not as heavy as others. However, I recommend that kava to anyone who is having side effects from other kavas. The Islanders thought it was so safe that they would use it "on a fretful child". That I don't recommend!!! But you get the drift. Nene is always my last shell of the day and sometimes my only one because I value my 8 hours of sleep. That being said (and in defense yada, yada, yada), sometimes a good heavy kava is in order and Nene is not that.

Jerome

Kava Lover
Nice Review! If stranded on an island with only 1 kava, I would choose Nene. Why? Taste is minimal, side effects are minimal, sedation is nice but not too strong, it's ranked #1 in nobility, and the number reason is that it's great for sleep. @Jerome, how did you sleep that night?
I will also add in defense of other kavas that it is not as heavy as others. However, I recommend that kava to anyone who is having side effects from other kavas. The Islanders thought it was so safe that they would use it "on a fretful child". That I don't recommend!!! But you get the drift. Nene is always my last shell of the day and sometimes my only one because I value my 8 hours of sleep. That being said (and in defense yada, yada, yada), sometimes a good heavy kava is in order and Nene is not that.
Haha, I have small children and a sick wife right now. I don't sleep much! I'm sure I would have slept splendidly had I been allowed. But yes, it is a nice, well rounded, very tasty kava.

D

Deleted User01

So you got the midnight shift. I would go easy on the kava then. When Mommy is sick, you gotta be on red alert all night long. I feel for ya.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Haha, I have small children and a sick wife right now. I don't sleep much! I'm sure I would have slept splendidly had I been allowed. But yes, it is a nice, well rounded, very tasty kava.
I was so inspired by this review- went out in the yard and took a couple of pictures of an old Nene plant, if you look close at 1st picture you can see the somatic mutation coming out of this Nene.
DSC00300.JPG

Attachments

D

Deleted User01

Ok, I know tomato plants but not Kava. Where is the somatic mutation? What are we looking for?. The color of the stalks? Also, I just packed my shovel, where do you live? :D
One more thing, what is the significance of a somatic mutation? Will you take cuttings, replant it, and then get something different?

Jerome

Kava Lover
Ok. @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava Chris I feel the need to reiterate the quality of this powder.

With many of the cheaper Vanuatu and Fijian Kavas I purchase, the course and hard "macas" are ground very finely more closely resembling splintered sawdust than chunks. This makes it difficult to get all the good stuff through the strainer and often times, some of the course stuff comes out along with the softer components of the root.

This Nene powder is a perfect composition. The "macas" are large and easily strained, the softer tissue of the root is powdered so finely, it slips through my Fijian strainer with little to no effort! This is perfect powder. This stuff makes me smile when I look at it, let alone drink it.

Also, no negative side effects. This powder is nicely calming, but does not dehydrate you nearly as much as many other powders I've had.

I had enough last night to be slightly tipsy and heavily sedated. I slept like a child till my child woke me up early. My dreams were pleasant and vivid. Excellent quality kava which I will definitely purchase again.

Its a shame I can't make enough money as a teacher to raise my family in Hawaii!

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the Nene Fan Club! I think some of the other kavas are ground fine so people can toss and wash. Like micronized kava with makas. The problem with that is that some people get nausea from the makas and then they are turned off by kava forever. I would imagine or hope that school teachers get paid more in Hawaii. Either that or they all live in bamboo huts on the beach, drink kava, and don't worry about it. :D

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
I've been hitting the heavy kavas for the past couple of weeks after tapering and quitting the Valium again for what feels like the 50th time. Either too much heavy kava or more likely benzodiazepine withdrawal but I've feel like my brain is floating in my head, muscle aches and, forgive me, loose stools every morning . So decided I should try and take a break from the kava. But. Just not happening. I need some anxiety relief or I just can't function. So I've bought out the Nene - never really got on well with it before. Never felt anything from it, not even sleepy. BUT for some reason, this time it seems to be working. It's midday, before lunch, had one shell and the anxiety seems to be lessening. If I fall asleep for a while, that's fine. I woke at 3am today so a nap is allowed! Just more proof that kava knows what to do if we give it chance!

D

Deleted User01

@kilakila, I have always been a fan of Nene. But it never makes me sleepy. However, when I go to bed and close my eyes, then it seems to kick into gear. It serves as a very mild sedative and patiently waits for me to give it the "sleep signal". At least it works that way for me. Since it is so mild, it might be just what you need while you get over the Valium thing. It would appear that you need a little something but not anything strong enough to get in the way of your natural progression away from Valium. Good luck and keep swinging for the fences!
P.S. I never take it before lunch because I do a cat nap after lunch and I need to wake up after 30 mins to get back to work. It's typically my last shell of the day and before supper. It might also be my only shell.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Thanks @Deleted User01, I'm certainly feeling a lot less anxious after just a couple of shells. I took the day off from working (i work from home as a graphic designer) just so I could focus on myself for a change. Just did a 30 minute meditation and I may have taken a micro-nap, which felt good and just what I needed. Will have another shell later tonight, and hope for the best! If I don't sleep, it won't be much different than any other night!