What's new

Never say Never; finally hit with dermo

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
3 years daily kava use no problem, then bam. My immunity was down the last fortnight with a virus but kept shelling, reckon that had a lot to do with it.
I'm taking coconut oil, fish oil, zinc, and applying calendula oil topically which is taking some of the burn out of it. Not brave enough to try lactic acid till it heals some.
Taking today off, but kava replaces a lot of psych meds for me, so will probably go back to (more conservative) dosing tomorrow, especially after reading a few posts where it got worse stopping cold turkey.
Any other tips? I've read the main dermo threads. Think I'll be doing some preventative supplements from now on, this is nasty. I feel like a snake.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
3 years daily kava use no problem, then bam. My immunity was down the last fortnight with a virus but kept shelling, reckon that had a lot to do with it.
I'm taking coconut oil, fish oil, zinc, and applying calendula oil topically which is taking some of the burn out of it. Not brave enough to try lactic acid till it heals some.
Taking today off, but kava replaces a lot of psych meds for me, so will probably go back to (more conservative) dosing tomorrow, especially after reading a few posts where it got worse stopping cold turkey.
Any other tips? I've read the main dermo threads. Think I'll be doing some preventative supplements from now on, this is nasty. I feel like a snake.
Might be my imagination, but I feel like pure (Fijian) waka gives me less dermo than blends that contain lawena mixed in. Also courser ground might be better. I think I was drinking more heady strains too when I got my dermo. From my experience, you aren't gonna get rid of it in a day. Took me a couple weeks. But since I've started sticking more to wakas and drinking grog only once a day, I haven't had nearly the trouble. On the other hand I was living in a deep freeze with no moisture in the air when I was having issues and now it is hot and humid out; so that could be the real difference. I also thought coconut oil helped topically in addition to internally, when I didn't want to use Amlactin. Amlactin worked really well, but I felt like it was taking the calluses off my hands, which I want to keep.
As you observed, there are good old threads on the subject matter.

Last edited:

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Just gonna post what I'm doing here, because dermo has already cleared up heaps after two days.
Internally been taking small daily doses of coconut oil, silica, zinc, fish oil.
Topically applying calendula oil and (once) lactic acid cream. As others have remarked it burned like hell but overnight difference. I def wouldn't be applying it to broken skin.
I had one 4tbsp dose of micro, and strained it (usually wouldn't, but this is rough stuff). Planning on taking every second day off kava till my good batch arrives in a week.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
update: couple months of continuing to drink kava through the dermo, being a little more conservative in my use (4-6tbsp micro/day), taking 1tbsp+ of coconut oil and the treatments/supplements above. it all seems to have slowed the dermo process, but it was always in the background, waxing and waning. now it's essentially 'waxing' all the time, so I'm forced to take a break, which is HARD for me, despite my effects being limited by this intake anyway. hopefully when I come back the effects will be a little amped, too; I miss the relief I used to get, short-lived as it was.

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
Sorry to see this mate. Keep smiling , i hope you grt through the dermo soon.
Thanks Pauluk. I actually caved and had 6 tbsp of micro this morning. Had zero effect though, usually that amount would give me mild relief. Maybe my body's way of saying I've reached my ceiling? I dunno...