What's new

New EU Vendor (Kavaha.eu)

jonaspmd

found kava
There is very little experience of traditional Kava drinking in Europe, but the three Polish kava shops opened one after another, so something must be happening in the right direction. I doubt that it's all consumed by local demand. Cost base in Poland is very low (which is why it is attractive to do this business in Poland) and yet they are selling kava at prices you see in the Western markets plus international bulk shipping costs. So, my guess is they do significant business in other EU countries.

I doubt there are an issues with sending retail kava parcels to other EU countries due to single market and no customs checks. All questions raised here about the details how this is happening despite different regulations within each country are valid, but I think there are very few people who know the answers, it just happens (until it doesn't, like in the UK after the blanket ban on legal highs in 2016; when they realised coffee and scotch were banned, they specifically excluded those).

Why Poland? If I remember correctly until recently kava was banned in Poland as a hard drug with jail time. This has changed. Don't know the details, but there were claims from Polish enthusiasts they were actively campaigning for it. It could have been the case that the nationalist/populist ruling party, which has been in power for a good number of years, wanted to show that they are efficient and can make a change. If that's the case, then even though the process is not over yet, as pointed out above, chances are that kava will stay legal or almost legal in Poland. Otherwise it would be a U-turn on a new policy/regulation from business perspective.

Regard the peculiar demand for a specific cultivar, I would be very surprised if that was based on local demand. Many probably do not even know there are different cultivars and think these are just exotic names. It's probably just this specific supply chain the owners have access to somehow.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
There is very little experience of traditional Kava drinking in Europe, but the three Polish kava shops opened one after another, so something must be happening in the right direction. I doubt that it's all consumed by local demand. Cost base in Poland is very low (which is why it is attractive to do this business in Poland) and yet they are selling kava at prices you see in the Western markets plus international bulk shipping costs. So, my guess is they do significant business in other EU countries.

I doubt there are an issues with sending retail kava parcels to other EU countries due to single market and no customs checks. All questions raised here about the details how this is happening despite different regulations within each country are valid, but I think there are very few people who know the answers, it just happens (until it doesn't, like in the UK after the blanket ban on legal highs in 2016; when they realised coffee and scotch were banned, they specifically excluded those).

Why Poland? If I remember correctly until recently kava was banned in Poland as a hard drug with jail time. This has changed. Don't know the details, but there were claims from Polish enthusiasts they were actively campaigning for it. It could have been the case that the nationalist/populist ruling party, which has been in power for a good number of years, wanted to show that they are efficient and can make a change. If that's the case, then even though the process is not over yet, as pointed out above, chances are that kava will stay legal or almost legal in Poland. Otherwise it would be a U-turn on a new policy/regulation from business perspective.

Regard the peculiar demand for a specific cultivar, I would be very surprised if that was based on local demand. Many probably do not even know there are different cultivars and think these are just exotic names. It's probably just this specific supply chain the owners have access to somehow.
It looks like Poland is the only country in the EU where some people actually came together and actively worked to get kava legal. There was a coordinated campaign to get kava legalised, the leader/spokesperson of that group posted here a couple of years ago. They petitioned, made submissions to members of parliament, sponsored legal opinions, got some doctors and scholars on board etc. Took them years to do it, but eventually they succeeded. Which means it probably can be done pretty much anwhere in the EU, provided someone actually works towards making it happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

ObiWan

May the Brew be with you
Kavaha.eu advertise their Fiji Kava as having a content of 14% Kavalactones. Is this believable?

Kavaha

Żnin, Poland
Kava Vendor
Hello everyone. We are happy to see such interest in our product. We hope we'll meet Your expectations.

Kavaha.eu advertise their Fiji Kava as having a content of 14% Kavalactones. Is this believable?
About this question. For now we have one kind of kava -Kavaha Perfect Balance and actually it's 13,67% Kavalactones. It is possible because farms we work with, cultivate kava for 4-5 years before harvesting and we are making every effort to achieve the highest level of Kavalactones. Below You can check result of our research at Wonderland Labs.

Attachments

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
It is. 14% is not too unusual, provided the root comes from a sufficiently old plant. But such percentages are not seen very often these days, as most kava plants are harvested at a younger age, resulting in a lower kavalactone content (in general).
it's also a matter of testing methods/labs. Some labs seem to produce much higher results than others. Eg I saw results confirmed by Dr Lebot showing 6% kl, but then a US based lab claimed it was around 12%

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
it's also a matter of testing methods/labs. Some labs seem to produce much higher results than others. Eg I saw results confirmed by Dr Lebot showing 6% kl, but then a US based lab claimed it was around 12%
Hmmm only off by 200%, that's alright I guess if you're mowing the grass in an open field.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
The document's conclusion reads like some 1980's toxicity study, only negatives emphasized.

The HMPC/MLWP concluded that, based in the available data and for the establishment of a European Union herbal monograph on traditional or well-established herbal medicinal product containing Piperis methystici rhizoma, the benefit-risk balance for the oral use of Piperis methystici rhizoma for the treatment of anxiety disorders is unfavourable and that the following requirements are not fulfilled.

Of course, in a post-thalidomide world it is risky to allow something to be used lest something happens and politicians and clerks are guilty. They even scorn a vaccine with 0.0006% serious adverse event when there is a disease with a few percent mortality. Very short-term safety-oriented culture with an Avoidant personality disorder.

Regulatory standards have set the bar as high as can be even for pharmaceutical industry. Alas, profitability is still higher than industry average but not comparable to golden age of pre-thalidomide era of past century when the bar was lower.

Just my thoughts.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
"It looks like Poland is the only country in the EU where some people actually came together and actively worked to get kava legal. "

Poland has a serious alcohol problem, I think. Maybe not Warzawa but small towns looked like... um... my own tiny Eastern European country small towns 10 years ago.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
"It looks like Poland is the only country in the EU where some people actually came together and actively worked to get kava legal. "

Poland has a serious alcohol problem, I think. Maybe not Warzawa but small towns looked like... um... my own tiny Eastern European country small towns 10 years ago.
A Polish friend told me that he used to drive to Czech Republic because he could buy beer cheaper than water in Poland.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor

I doubt this had anything to do with kava legalisation. There are lots of European countries with higher booze consumption (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita), including Germany, France and Ireland. Yet no pro kava initiatives.
When it comes to binge drinking/problematic drinking I guess I d be surprised if any European country had a worse drinking culture than the UK. And yet the UK has the harshest anti kava laws in Europe and no apparent efforts to change them

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I doubt this had anything to do with kava legalisation. There are lots of European countries with higher booze consumption (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption_per_capita), including Germany, France and Ireland. Yet no pro kava initiatives.
When it comes to binge drinking/problematic drinking I guess I d be surprised if any European country had a worse drinking culture than the UK. And yet the UK has the harshest anti kava laws in Europe and no apparent efforts to change them
I'm surprised to see the UK quite a way down the list because we have a bit of a reputation. I think though we tend to do more binge drinking rather than in France where they probably drink the same but tend to space it out a lot more and for the most part drink with meals only.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I'm surprised to see the UK quite a way down the list because we have a bit of a reputation. I think though we tend to do more binge drinking rather than in France where they probably drink the same but tend to space it out a lot more and for the most part drink with meals only.
yeah, overall consumption might be misleading. At least from the pov of social and health effects.

and you are right re binge drinking/problem drinking in the UK. I lived above a pub in Brighton for 2 years and the scenes I witnessed could be turned into a tv series haha.

Perhaps this offers a more relevant picture: https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/alcoholism-by-country
According to the above there are more alcoholics in tge UK than in France despite lower per capita consumption. Though one has to wonder how accurate and reliable their methodology was..

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
yeah, overall consumption might be misleading. At least from the pov of social and health effects.

and you are right re binge drinking/problem drinking in the UK. I lived above a pub in Brighton for 2 years and the scenes I witnessed could be turned into a tv series haha.

Perhaps this offers a more relevant picture: https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/alcoholism-by-country
According to the above there are more alcoholics in tge UK than in France despite lower per capita consumption. Though one has to wonder how accurate and reliable their methodology was..
Brighton is known as a bit of a hotspot for weekenders and stag parties though!

You know the definition of an alcoholic in the uk though? Someone who drinks more than their doctor.