What's new

Kava Botany New Hawaiian Kava Variety?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, as most of you know I collect different varieties of kava, not only from Hawaii but other Pacific islands as well. I actually have a real good collection. Anyway, I just got a possible new kava from a good friend and fellow 'Awa collector.
So far we are calling it the orange kava because that is what the person that it came from called it.
This person was the famous "Papa" Henry Auwae.
Auwae was best known as a kahuna la'au lapa'au, an herbalist, knowledge he learned from his 107-year-old great-great-grandmother from the Pai family associated with Honokohau.
So needless to say this guy knew his stuff. He knew about 'Awa too. This "Orange" 'Awa looks similar to Hiwa but we know that "Papa" Henry Auwae knew what Hiwa was and looked like so when he gave out his "Orange 'Awa he must have known it was different than the Hiwa. "Papa" Henry Auwae was an excellent kahuna la'au lapa'au or medicine man or herbalist. It is sad to say that he passed on in 2001 at the young age of 94, he did teach and their are still some of his students that are practicing what he tought them and I thank them for that. Since he lived in Waimea and I did too I did have the chance to meet with him on numerous occasions, this was always exciting to me and he was truly one of a kind.
Now I can't wait to grow his 'Awa and keep that part of his la'au lapa'au alive. It will take several years before I get any for harvest but I will certainly let you all know when I do have it ready. I am just happy to get another new Hawaiian 'Awa, it was not easy to get because there are not that many people that have this variety anymore. When it is old enough for a good picture I will post one for you all to see. Anyway I just wanted to share this with you all. Aloha nui loa.

Chris

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Sounds interesting, I plan on swallowing some in the year 2020 ::chugger::
Is there any obvious reason for the name orange ? Does the starchy part of the root have an orange hue, does the scent or flavor slightly hint of Oranges ?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Sounds interesting, I plan on swallowing some in the year 2020 ::chugger::
Is there any obvious reason for the name orange ? Does the starchy part of the root have an orange hue, does the scent or flavor slightly hint of Oranges ?
I think it is because of the color of the stalks, not a color like an orange but it does look kind of orange in color. I can't wait to see what it looks like mature and most of all what it tastes like and the effect. (y)
Aloha.

Chris

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Chris, do you know what the rules are for transferring plant samples between countries ?
For example, could I go explore Tanna, get some cuttings, stop by your house on the way home and plant them...as long as they pass quarantine or whatever ?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hi everyone, as most of you know I collect different varieties of kava, not only from Hawaii but other Pacific islands as well. I actually have a real good collection. Anyway, I just got a possible new kava from a good friend and fellow 'Awa collector.
So far we are calling it the orange kava because that is what the person that it came from called it.
Auwae was best known as a kahuna la'au lapa'au, an herbalist, knowledge he learned from his 107-year-old great-great-grandmother from the Pai family associated with Honokohau.
So needless to say this guy knew his stuff. He knew about 'Awa too. This "Orange" 'Awa looks similar to Hiwa but we know that "Papa" Henry Auwae knew what Hiwa was and looked like so when he gave out his "Orange 'Awa he must have known it was different than the Hiwa. "Papa" Henry Auwae was an excellent kahuna la'au lapa'au or medicine man or herbalist. It is sad to say that he passed on in 2001 at the young age of 94, he did teach and their are still some of his students that are practicing what he tought them and I thank them for that. Since he lived in Waimea and I did too I did have the chance to meet with him on numerous occasions, this was always exciting to me and he was truly one of a kind.
Now I can't wait to grow his 'Awa and keep that part of his la'au lapa'au alive. It will take several years before I get any for harvest but I will certainly let you all know when I do have it ready. I am just happy to get another new Hawaiian 'Awa, it was not easy to get because there are not that many people that have this variety anymore. When it is old enough for a good picture I will post one for you all to see. Anyway I just wanted to share this with you all. Aloha nui loa.

Chris
A theory of why he might have named it "Orange" is this- when you look at crystallized kavalacones under a macro lens you can definitely see orange/yellow pigmentation in= desmethoxyyangonin, yangonin, and kavain. Henry Auwae probably never had crystallized KL but when you work for years with these root/stump you do see various color (mostly yellow orange) in parts. So maybe this 'awa is very high in- K, DMY, and Y.???

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I love that he was a kahuna, i usto love that word and never knew why, now i am an herbalist/shaman type thang. Im very excited that you shared this. I like that it looks like hiwa too, as that one is some strong stuff spiritually it makes sense that it was reserved for the kahunas and maybe this one will have a strong effect in that regard too

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector

Chris
I am re-thinking my post regarding why this cultivar was called "Orange 'Awa" by Henry Auwae since the tudei/acetone test brings a negative connotation to the color orange. I triple checked the marco lens photo of "pure crystallized Yangonin" and I see orange color. So it is confusing . Anyone with more knowledge of these acetone tests, please comment. I will try and paste the link to the Yangonin picture within the mega-thread, tudei vrs. Noble.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Thank you so much for keeping the Hawaiian 'awa traditions alive!

Just listened to your podcast interview last night and wow. Hawaii is very lucky to have a 'awa KAHUNA like you, Chris :lol:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I am re-thinking my post regarding why this cultivar was called "Orange 'Awa" by Henry Auwae since the tudei/acetone test brings a negative connotation to the color orange. I triple checked the marco lens photo of "pure crystallized Yangonin" and I see orange color. So it is confusing . Anyone with more knowledge of these acetone tests, please comment. I will try and paste the link to the Yangonin picture within the mega-thread, tudei vrs. Noble.
When I was at the 2016 kava conference I did ask Dr. Lebot if any of the kavalactones could cause the color in the acetone test and he said there is no way that the kavalactone cause that coloration and went on to explain it to me in a way that went a bit above my head but I am sure that @Deleted User could understand it. I am sure he could help explain more about the coloration too. I might be mistaken but I think Dr. Lebot did recently validate the acetone test meaning that it is 100% reliable.
Aloha.

Chris

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
When I was at the 2016 kava conference I did ask Dr. Lebot if any of the kavalactones could cause the color in the acetone test and he said there is no way that the kavalactone cause that coloration and went on to explain it to me in a way that went a bit above my head but I am sure that @Deleted User could understand it. I am sure he could help explain more about the coloration too. I might be mistaken but I think Dr. Lebot did recently validate the acetone test meaning that it is 100% reliable.
Aloha.

Chris
Yes, Chris- I think I just "color-blind-sided" the crystallized Yangonin in any case, seeing it as orange when it is yellow. Others see it as yellow and they are right, I'm sure. It remains a mystery why Henry Auwae named that cultivar 'Orange' remember to come by and pick it up soon.