What's new

New here, have a couple questions

AJ_ATX

Hello all,

I'm new to kava, but already a believer.

A little context: In the two weeks since my first session/dose, I've been doing small daily doses. In that time, I have weaned myself off a long term anxiety med and sleep great without taking anything to help me sleep, which has never happened in my life. Super happy about that! So far I have an extract/tincture, a micronized powder, and today I got a paste. I went this route for portability and ease of use. I have a long and ridiculous history with drugs, so I am generally comfortable with substances and trying new things. Also, I'm almost 6 years sober now.

So far, it seems like my body is super receptive to kava. I take a teeny tiny dose (less than half of the label recommendation) and feel like a different person. I mean, I wasn't a total asshole before, but I had severe anxiety and am just "wound tight".

Anyway, enough context, here are the questions:

For the past couple days I have had intermittent vertigo. Not terrible, but definitely annoying. Could this be from the kava? I am taking a teeny-tiny dose, so I don't think so, but figured I should ask.

I really, really want to make the traditional preparation and enjoy the ritual around it. Which kava should I try? I prefer heady, mellow, and friendly results. The three types of processed kava all taste, frankly, like shit. It would be fun if the traditional kava tasted somewhat less shitty. Maybe I'll chill it after prep?

There was a third question, but it escapes me. Anyway, thank you!!! This is a great resource, and I am stoke to have found this, and kava.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I really, really want to make the traditional preparation and enjoy the ritual around it. Which kava should I try? I prefer heady, mellow, and friendly results. The three types of processed kava all taste, frankly, like shit. It would be fun if the traditional kava tasted somewhat less shitty. Maybe I'll chill it after prep?
You could try a Hawaiian kava. They tend to taste much less peppery than Vanuatu or even a Fijian. The best dry Hawaiian kava that I know is Gourmet Hawaiian kava or you can go the fresh route with Pu'u O Hoku Ranch. Fresh kava tastes like cucumber water with kavalactones, it's the best there is but it's also the most expensive. Nice once in a while but the dry variety is the most affordable.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Hello all,

I'm new to kava, but already a believer.

A little context: In the two weeks since my first session/dose, I've been doing small daily doses. In that time, I have weaned myself off a long term anxiety med and sleep great without taking anything to help me sleep, which has never happened in my life. Super happy about that! So far I have an extract/tincture, a micronized powder, and today I got a paste. I went this route for portability and ease of use. I have a long and ridiculous history with drugs, so I am generally comfortable with substances and trying new things. Also, I'm almost 6 years sober now.

So far, it seems like my body is super receptive to kava. I take a teeny tiny dose (less than half of the label recommendation) and feel like a different person. I mean, I wasn't a total asshole before, but I had severe anxiety and am just "wound tight".

Anyway, enough context, here are the questions:

For the past couple days I have had intermittent vertigo. Not terrible, but definitely annoying. Could this be from the kava? I am taking a teeny-tiny dose, so I don't think so, but figured I should ask.

There was a third question, but it escapes me. Anyway, thank you!!! This is a great resource, and I am stoke to have found this, and kava.
Like Krunky said, GHK dried kava is my favorite tasting dried kava; however, dried kava is not going to taste great. It is going to be bitter.

Although, I feel like that can be a positive aspect of kava. If it tasted amazing, that might lead to more overuse, and because of the taste and the dry skin that comes with overuse, kava has a wonderful way of self-regulating its use which makes it, in my opinion, the perfect alternative to more addictive substances.