What's new

New here, semi-new to kava tea, not new to kava

Soooo . . I was blown away by the effects these little supplement pills I bought back in 1993 actually had on my mind. I definitely know kava was real but with the poularity and hence- the prices- spiralling out of control it just wasn't something I could come to come back to. I got a little birthday windfall this year, though, so I figure WTF WTH not.

I have a dissapointing experience a couple of years ago with a powedered (not instant) form so I figured I'd go all in this time and make sure I go the instant micronized form instead. I *know* it's too expensive but I don't really have a kitchen and I can't be doing messy projects that require any sort of counter space or deep/real cleaning. And here I have found my answer.

So that's my story. Happy with the heady/ deep kavas vanautu borongu and v, boronguru but also with really with the energizing daytime ones like tongan pouni ono from KWK, if anybody could help me frin a substitution when things are low I would really appreciate it!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Soooo . . I was blown away by the effects these little supplement pills I bought back in 1993 actually had on my mind. I definitely know kava was real but with the poularity and hence- the prices- spiralling out of control it just wasn't something I could come to come back to. I got a little birthday windfall this year, though, so I figure WTF WTH not.

I have a dissapointing experience a couple of years ago with a powedered (not instant) form so I figured I'd go all in this time and make sure I go the instant micronized form instead. I *know* it's too expensive but I don't really have a kitchen and I can't be doing messy projects that require any sort of counter space or deep/real cleaning. And here I have found my answer.

So that's my story. Happy with the heady/ deep kavas vanautu borongu and v, boronguru but also with really with the energizing daytime ones like tongan pouni ono from KWK, if anybody could help me frin a substitution when things are low I would really appreciate it!
Welcome!
Check out Fire Island Instant Nakamal @ Home, or Instant Green Kava - Bula Kava House, or Gourmet Hawaiian Kava's instants which are pretty well known to be excellent.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor

Instants are NOT too expensive. People get hold of instant, get less side effects and have a great time and so spoon it in like anything. That way it APPEARS more expensive but you're not comparing like with like. To get that good a time on medium grind you'd have to use a bunch more and then you'd be dealing with a lot more dermo and GI issues. If you can control your spoon hand when you're mixing your instant you will find you will have just as good a time as with medium grind, it will still cost a similar amount and you will still get less side effects. Obviously I'm a big instant fan.

I can't beat the Kapm's recommendations above. Hiwa instant from GHK is one of my favourites ever. Fire Island is growing on me rapidly too, I've got 1 kg in the post on it's way to me. If you want that bit headier then instant green from BKH is really good. Cream of Vanuatu from a defunct vendor, can't remember his name now, was the ultimate in instants. But it's gone :-(

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Instants are NOT too expensive. People get hold of instant, get less side effects and have a great time and so spoon it in like anything. That way it APPEARS more expensive but you're not comparing like with like. To get that good a time on medium grind you'd have to use a bunch more and then you'd be dealing with a lot more dermo and GI issues. If you can control your spoon hand when you're mixing your instant you will find you will have just as good a time as with medium grind, it will still cost a similar amount and you will still get less side effects. Obviously I'm a big instant fan.

I can't beat the Kapm's recommendations above. Hiwa instant from GHK is one of my favourites ever. Fire Island is growing on me rapidly too, I've got 1 kg in the post on it's way to me. If you want that bit headier then instant green from BKH is really good. Cream of Vanuatu from a defunct vendor, can't remember his name now, was the ultimate in instants. But it's gone :-(
Funnt Edward, I literally just sank a weighed 5 gram dose of Fire Island now, to complete my dosing today after ONLY 25 grams of the Koro was plenty before. Twice washed. It's like walking around in a warm, mellow, detached state.

I do rate that fire Island instant as well.

I think it is more heady than WoW.

And certainly also more heady than Kavadepot Ceremonial instant, which I think also deserves a good shout. To me, it feels like the most potent, and certainly pongiest, instant I have personally tried. Definitely a heavy effect, but warm and uplifting also.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I certainly have a good time with my traditional grind roots. I use 2 to 4Tbsp per shell, which adds up to between 4 and 12 Tbsp for a nice after work bowl of Kava. I'm sure I would find a way to prefer traditional grind, given the choice between unlimited instant. I have found instant to be less of a nightcap and more of a social and daytime kava. That's me though. Bula!

I'd love to try it, some day when I (literally) have more than 3 square feet of counter space!
I certainly have a good time with my traditional grind roots. I use 2 to 4Tbsp per shell, which adds up to between 4 and 12 Tbsp for a nice after work bowl of Kava. I'm sure I would find a way to prefer traditional grind, given the choice between unlimited instant. I have found instant to be less of a nightcap and more of a social and daytime kava. That's me though. Bula!

If you can control your spoon hand when you're mixing your instant you will find you will have just as good a time as with medium grind, it will still cost a similar amount and you will still get less side effects. Obviously I'm a big instant fan.
I like that. I need to get control of my spoon hand- I already know damn well I can have just as fine a time with two spoonfuls as I do with three. Especailly with that pouni ono.

Sorry for the multiple replies, guys!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Some instants are good and heavy, like the Hiwa instant or even Fire Island is quite sedative.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Some instants are good and heavy, like the Hiwa instant or even Fire Island is quite sedative.
Hi Edward. You know your kavas very well. If I am seeking a sounding board, I'm coming to you first my friend!

But I just wanted to add, you saying about Fire Island being sedative- it's not strictly like that for me initially. Not like a heavy, lethargic, stoning sense, like those strong Fijians.

But always bright and uplifting initially. Good stuff though.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hi Edward. You know your kavas very well. If I am seeking a sounding board, I'm coming to you first my friend!

But I just wanted to add, you saying about Fire Island being sedative- it's not strictly like that for me initially. Not like a heavy, lethargic, stoning sense, like those strong Fijians.

But always bright and uplifting initially. Good stuff though.
Yes, it's got a good dose of kavain upfront, it's just got enough dhk/dhm for those to win out in the end.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, it's got a good dose of kavain upfront, it's just got enough dhk/dhm for those to win out in the end.
Yeah true. But one irony which struck me early on- kavain does have a sedative edge, by nature, allegedly.

To me it's like that high euphoria first, sedative later.

Last edited: