What's new

Kava Fact of the Day New Kava Prep - The Mixer Cup (Kavaforums Tested and Approved)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kava fact of the day: Mixer Cup Prep

Today’s fact of the day is brought to you by us, the members at kavaforums.com. We’ve made our way through various topics related to the finer scientific points of kava. In contrast, today we’re going to focus on something more down to earth and relatable to the average kava drinker.
There are many techniques of making kava available to us today. From traditional strain and knead, to blenders, to the Aluball system, it seems the trajectory of today’s kava preparation is inching closer and closer to convenience. It’s up to us, however, to be sure that we’re also still getting the best bang for our buck. In this thought, we’ve been testing various devices in relation to traditional grind. We asked ourselves “does this at least equal the potency of traditionally prepared kava?”.

This mixer cup has been tested for over 2 years daily (updated), and we’ve concluded that this method, while different from traditional prep, has the same if not greater effectiveness for extraction.

This mixer cup can be used by the individual kava consumer for quick batches at home that equal the strength of traditionally prepped kava. This system can also be used by kava bars looking to create shells of varying strength or strain per customer request. The only bit of difference between this setup and the setups you see for convenience is that in with this scenario you still need a strainer cloth and prep bowl for the final process, but we’ll get into that.

Basically, we’ve found this is as effective as hand kneading, even at higher dosages (40g dry kava).

If you find yourself asking “Why use this when standard kneading works?”. This method seems to make kava at traditional strength without the kneading stage.

The theory:

In standard prep you’re agitating the powder in the strainer bag and pressing the powder over and over again. We theorize that kavalactones are found in the powders that cling to the root particles. In traditional prep you’re looking to wash the kavalactones free of those root particles into water in a suspension. We believe the kavalactones are bound into the powders that cling to the larger root particles. This is why the process of making micronized products by sifting medium grind root powders works as well as it does.
We went looking for a product that could free the powders from the larger particles with some type of agitation cycle. Blenders would be the ideal product; however, the blades are meant to chop and blend. When chopping and blending we’ve seen the reports of the standard kava side effects arriving much faster. We believe this is due to the blenders effectively “micronizing” the medium grind kava, allowing you to take in far more root material than you would have otherwise.
This mixer agitates the kava in such a way that forcefully washes the powders free from the root particles, effectively eliminating the need for kneading. If that sounds too good to be true, I thought the same thing. After 5 months of daily usage, I have to say it’s true.

The mixer:

jawku.jpg

Nothing fancy here. This is a standard protein mix mixer with a built-in lithium-ion battery and 600ml capacity. The difference between this one and others is the strength of the mixing action, and the blades are plastic which prevents any chopping action. The motor on this unit is stronger than others we’ve found. It runs at a reported 11k rpm. Not sure we fully believe that number, but it is stronger than most of the other mixers. See picture attached of the blade setup.

mixerblade.jpg

The blades are meant for mixing instead of blending, which is what we were looking for in this instance. The design of the blades makes for an efficient vortex of mixing action, and these plastic fins won’t break down the particle size any further. See video included to view the vortex action.

What you will need:

1.) The mixer
2.) Kava powder of course
3.) Water
4.) Strainer cloth / nylon strainer
5.) Some sort of prep bowl.

The Process:
*Note: Do not use ice

1.) Add Water @ 120°F to mixer: 400ml (Again varies based on the individual)
2.) Add Dry Kava Powder to mixer: 40 grams (of course this varies based on what you’re looking for)
3.) Mix Duration: 2 minutes 30 seconds. (This seems optimal timing for best extraction)
4.) Remove top lid.
5.) Place strainer bag over the top of the cup
6.) Turn cup upside down inside strainer bag into prep bowl
7.) Remove the mixer cup to allow the kava to drain into your strainer.
8.) Rock the strainer back and forth to allow most of the water to strain through. (Canoe Method)
9.) Give it one final squeeze to get the remaining water out of the strainer.
10.) Drink immediately or refrigerate
11.) Profit
Where to get this mixer?

Amazon: Amazon product
Alibaba: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Massive-Gainer-Milk-Shake-USB-Rechargeable_60486195872.html

Note: We are not affiliated with the manufacturer of this product, and receive no rebates or kickback for its promotion.

Last edited:

Jacob Bula

Nobody
This is really cool. Do you ever knead after just for old times' sake? I'd say the only con over traditional is one more thing to wash, other than that, that thing looks perfect.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This is really cool. Do you ever knead after just for old times' sake? I'd say the only con over traditional is one more thing to wash, other than that, that thing looks perfect.
There has been some kavas I've done that with, but honestly it only increased the potency slightly. This agitation motion of this blender seems to get pretty much most of the good stuff off the powder. A second wash with some powders is definitely doable.

Washing of the cup is actually quite easy. I just rinse with water and done. You can throw some soap in there and hit the button for better cleaning action. It even comes with a separate cup that screws into the lid so you can bring your kava powder with you without mixing it in the water.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
There has been some kavas I've done that with, but honestly it only increased the potency slightly. This agitation motion of this blender seems to get pretty much most of the good stuff off the powder. A second wash with some powders is definitely doable.

Washing of the cup is actually quite easy. I just rinse with water and done. You can throw some soap in there and hit the button for better cleaning action. It even comes with a separate cup that screws into the lid so you can bring your kava powder with you without mixing it in the water.
Yea I think I want this.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Longevity:

Krunky: Lost 2 mixers during that time frame. One due to adding ice, and the other due to the connection between the mixer blade and the motor was stripped.

Shakas: Had the connection gear come free from the bottom motor. He was able to glue the piece back on to make it work again.

Mine: Still going strong 6 months in with daily use.

These things actually come with a 6 month warranty when you buy them from amazon, and all of our failures have happened within that time frame.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
In all honesty we hope that the release of this information will encourage others to follow this path and make thier own mixers and blenders that may be better suited for kava production. At the core, these little mixers are $5 a pop from Alibaba, so they're not exactly what I would call "bulletproof" lol.

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
This is pretty awesome. I have been planning on trying the dough mixing blade on a Ninja blender, which may be a great alternative if you already have one.

My micronization experiment using the blade went completely South. Awful belly ache if you just powder-ize reg root and drink it. Smacking it around with the plastic paddle blade now makes a lot more sense.

Thanks for the bright idea.

Ellviis

Kava Curious
Can you use it for more than 2 minutes and 30 seconds? I was curious if it made a difference/is worth the time for a longer mix, or what the time/potency ratio is

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Can you use it for more than 2 minutes and 30 seconds? I was curious if it made a difference/is worth the time for a longer mix, or what the time/potency ratio is
That's just as long as I was going, but feel free to experiment. I'd love to come back and see someone has found an even better application or solution.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I hear you mentioning kavalactones in root powder on the outside of roots, and I also believe there are kavalactones inside the root. I think a large reason for kneading, pressing, squeezing, is to get water to soak into the root and squeeze it back out.

Kava retains heat very well, and this mixing action distributes the kava well enough in water to get a good shell every time. I believe some squeezing to get the kava out of the strainer is a good idea. Interesting tool, it's like an self shaking aluball!

Ellviis

Kava Curious
I ordered this from Amazon, and used 52 grams of Samoa Ava from KWK.

I added 400mL of the warmest tap water, along with 1tsp of soy lecithin and let it mix for 3 minutes.

Wow, this is pretty convenient. I will definitely be using this; I’m thinking of using it for my morning brews

Thank you for your recommendation! This equates to a more potent brew than an Aluball, pretty close to my traditional kneeding!!

Jacob Bula

Nobody
The only con I see with this is that I actually like doing the traditional prep. I like the routine of getting my bowl and my strainer bag and kneading while watching tv after a hard nights work. I thought about buying this, but... I feel like this might dissociate you from the production of the grog. Has anyone that uses the mixing cup this noticed this?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The only con I see with this is that I actually like doing the traditional prep. I like the routine of getting my bowl and my strainer bag and kneading while watching tv after a hard nights work. I thought about buying this, but... I feel like this might dissociate you from the production of the grog. Has anyone that uses the mixing cup this noticed this?
After doing it for so many years eventually some of us look for ways of streamlining making kava. I can't say that this has reduced my association with the process, as it still requires pretty much every step of traditional kava making sans the extended kneading time. To me, this just removes the question of "Did I knead it hard enough, and for a long enough time?". Every batch comes out the same minus the natural variabilities.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Every batch comes out the same minus the natural variabilities.
Do you notice any differences depending on how coarse the kava is ground? I would expect the method to be more effective with finer ground kava, but maybe that's not true (or there is no real difference)?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Do you notice any differences depending on how coarse the kava is ground? I would expect the method to be more effective with finer ground kava, but maybe that's not true (or there is no real difference)?
The finer the medium grind the better. For instance I feel I get a good bit more out of Kava Society NZ's kava due to the smaller particle size. I believe this holds true whether kneading normally or using something like this. You just have to be sure your strainer is where you need it to be in terms of pore size.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
The finer the medium grind the better. For instance I feel I get a good bit more out of Kava Society NZ's kava due to the smaller particle size. I believe this holds true whether kneading normally or using something like this. You just have to be sure your strainer is where you need it to be in terms of pore size.
I thought so, thanks. Definitely worth a try.

Last edited:

Sir_Tarquin

Kava Curious
Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but I've been interested in this for several months now. How important is the powerful motor? The orange one in the pictures is notorious in reviews for the plastic holding the motor breaking almost immediately after use. But there are no other electric mixers rated anywhere close to the speed of that one. The ones with the most reputable ratings are only ~4000 - 6000 rpm. Does the slower/weaker motor mean weaker grog?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but I've been interested in this for several months now. How important is the powerful motor? The orange one in the pictures is notorious in reviews for the plastic holding the motor breaking almost immediately after use. But there are no other electric mixers rated anywhere close to the speed of that one. The ones with the most reputable ratings are only ~4000 - 6000 rpm. Does the slower/weaker motor mean weaker grog?
I've been using the following mixer for several years now and not experienced a breakage with 40g powder, and 2 minutes 30 seconds run time.

Link because my auto-parser is broken for amazon.

LINK