What's new

New kava user with reverse tolerance

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hahaha I just jinxed myself. Had some kava earlier and ralphed it back up. I feel better now and my stomach was feeling fine prior to consumption. My body just decided to reject it this time around. I got kava kicked
Has happened to me once or twice, lol. Sometimes the gut just says 'Nope, not today!".

Kava-noob

Kava Curious
Quick question is makas that have thawed out in the fridge for 2 days safe to drink? Want to be sure because I heard it ferments fast.

babesugarbunny

Kava Enthusiast
How does the tolerance thing with Kava function when it comes to getting a tolerance, not talking about the reverse tolerance here. I've been drinking almost every day for a couple of weeks now and start to wonder if I should have a break to get better effects again.

Bula!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
How does the tolerance thing with Kava function when it comes to getting a tolerance, not talking about the reverse tolerance here. I've been drinking almost every day for a couple of weeks now and start to wonder if I should have a break to get better effects again.

Bula!
Some people find that taking a break helps them "re-discover" the feeling of kava again which can seem like a reduction in tolerance. I've been drinking literally the same amount of kava every day and other than batch inconsistencies it's been the same every single day.

I understand and have experienced drug tolerance many times in my life, but I have never experienced anything close to it with kava.

babesugarbunny

Kava Enthusiast
Some people find that taking a break helps them "re-discover" the feeling of kava again which can seem like a reduction in tolerance. I've been drinking literally the same amount of kava every day and other than batch inconsistencies it's been the same every single day.

I understand and have experienced drug tolerance many times in my life, but I have never experienced anything close to it with kava.
Interesting. Thanks for the reply! Seems like with everything else regarding Kava, that it differs a lot between people.
Seems to differ more than any other substance/drug/herb I know of at least.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Interesting. Thanks for the reply! Seems like with everything else regarding Kava, that it differs a lot between people.
Seems to differ more than any other substance/drug/herb I know of at least.
You're exactly right. It's quite a dynamic herb and it really does come across to everyone a bit differently.

babesugarbunny

Kava Enthusiast
You're exactly right. It's quite a dynamic herb and it really does come across to everyone a bit differently.
That is one of the things that makes this herb so interesting to me. I took some minutes to search in the database via my university and realized that there is a lot of studies I can read about Kava. My local library helped me to do a interlibrary loan from another country for the book "Kava: The Pacific Elixir: The Definitive Guide to Its Ethnobotany, History, and Chemistry" (ISBN 978-0892817269). Looking forward to learn more about it! That book is from 1997 tho, so I guess the knowledge and science around Kava is deeper now than 23 years ago.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
That is one of the things that makes this herb so interesting to me. I took some minutes to search in the database via my university and realized that there is a lot of studies I can read about Kava. My local library helped me to do a interlibrary loan from another country for the book "Kava: The Pacific Elixir: The Definitive Guide to Its Ethnobotany, History, and Chemistry" (ISBN 978-0892817269). Looking forward to learn more about it! That book is from 1997 tho, so I guess the knowledge and science around Kava is deeper now than 23 years ago.
By Dr. Vincent Lebot I bet @Henry just had a Question and Answer session with him. He's written another, but it's entirely in French.

babesugarbunny

Kava Enthusiast
By Dr. Vincent Lebot I bet @Henry just had a Question and Answer session with him. He's written another, but it's entirely in French.

Oh, interesting! I find that google translate in many cases can make a text understandable in another language then the original. So if you wanna share that QA, please do!
Thanks for the link with en English interview. :bookworm:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Quick question is makas that have thawed out in the fridge for 2 days safe to drink? Want to be sure because I heard it ferments fast.
More than likely fine, if you notice a sour smell, toss it. The general rule of thumb is that is best freshly kneaded or within 24 hours, if you put it in the fridge, if you freeze the makas, whenever you thaw it out, try using it right away.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
hi, so as some of you already know I'm new and I tried out Kisa's kava, and because of my reverse tolerance I didn't really feel much effects. I'm wondering on where I should go next with my next purchase, I don't want to spend too much money but I also want to be sure it's a strong kava.

I like the idea of a balanced kava with heady and heavy effects but I'm fine with trying other types that lean towards heady or heavy.

I was thinking of purchasing from cactus kava, they seem to have a lot of good reviews here.
Sorry, I see this is late here now- but Kavatime Gourmet Savusavu is very Potent indeed but in such a lovely and pure way so as to be completely comfortable and not at all jittery or disruptive or debilitating. Just one recommendation for a top potency, but especially enjoyable and positively mood transforming kava.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Whether it's negative or positive, all we ask is that you relay your experience as you yourself experienced it.
So, don't worry about us thinking you're negative, because I assure you, we don't :)
Many people have trouble getting consistent effects for the first few months, and we totally understand your frustration about it, especially if you're trying to get some relief from your anxiety.
Hello mate just occurred to me to say that I do believe in some cases this can be be largely a case of the individual finding the right cultivar which suits their preferences as much as reverse tolerance sometimes.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hello mate just occurred to me to say that I do believe in some cases this can be be largely a case of the individual finding the right cultivar which suits their preferences as much as reverse tolerance sometimes.
I agree, which is why it's important to try as many different kinds as you can when you first start to see which one resonates with you :)

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I agree, which is why it's important to try as many different kinds as you can when you first start to see which one resonates with you :)
I just thought now, how in my mind it is actually taking far more time and epperience trying to figure this out, which exact kavas you REALLY like, vs meducal cannabus patients seeking the right strain.

Kava seems far more hit-and-miss. I have been drinking my kava daily since last November but I think I am even less decided upon exactly which cultivars I prefer ultimately and I think it could be years before I have figured this out more clearly lol!

Alas...i will keep trying, really enjoying the immediate, anxiolytic and settling effects of the wow kava especially after a shell of a very energetic headie one like pouni Ono orM'oi.

But originally I did not like the WoW lkava so much at all all and found it somewhat disagreeable.

Last edited:

Dru Zod

I can recommend Vanuatu Ceremonial, I’m a new user of about 8 weeks or so. Didn’t get much effect at first. As I had more it started no affect me differently. I dunno what others here think, but I’ve found a couple of table spoons of coconut oil about 15 to 20 minutes before I drink any increases it’s effect massively. I’ve only tried a few different kavas but the Vanuatu ceremonial is the one I get along with best. I’m drinking some now and it’s kicking my ass lol

krunkgod

Kava Enthusiast
I can recommend Vanuatu Ceremonial, I’m a new user of about 8 weeks or so. Didn’t get much effect at first. As I had more it started no affect me differently. I dunno what others here think, but I’ve found a couple of table spoons of coconut oil about 15 to 20 minutes before I drink any increases it’s effect massively. I’ve only tried a few different kavas but the Vanuatu ceremonial is the one I get along with best. I’m drinking some now and it’s kicking my ass lol
Where from?

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting. Most days, I take my first late afternoon dose of medicinal ML for digestive support primarily.

I usually mix 5 grams of our infused canna-coconut oil into 15 grams plain coconut oi, salt, pepper and lecithin, so it emulsifies into a delicious smooth edible pate. So 20 grams coconut oil basically.

I unquestionably enjoy the effects of Kava more after this.